NEurope
Owario

Eliminate! N-E... You're Next!

bannerkn7.gif

Some of you may remember a while ago (back when the site was still called R-E) I wrote a story incorporating the plot of the Saw franchise with characters from this very forum. Now, after around a month of planning, I return with a a new story, this time using the much loved anime series Death Note as the foundation.

I'll start by urging those who have not seen or read the original Death Note story to do so; it really is fantastic, and I'm sure there are plenty of members here who are willing to back me up on that claim. However, while it will certainly help you to understand my story better, watching/reading it is not completely necessary, and I will do my best to explain the basic elements of the Death Note universe.

Edit: Casting is now complete. Are you in the story? You'll have to read it to find out!

Updates will happen every Monday unless otherwise noted.

Chapter 0

The sound of Cube’s footsteps roared over the Realm of the Death Gods, interrupting the silence that was previously challenged only by the faint echo of the wind brushing against a single leaf. Hearing Cube approach, three gloomy figures, each more hideous than the last, turned to face him.

“You’re late,” Eenuh proclaimed, staring at Cube incessantly. Martinist looked down at the notebook he had firmly gripped in his monstrous hands.

“It’s not like you have anywhere to be, Eenuh,” responded Cube, chuckling to himself.

Breaking her gaze, Eenuh looked towards EchoDesiato.

“Are we all clear on who to give the notebooks to?”

“Yes,” Martinist, Cube and EchoDesiato all answered in unison.

“Well then,” Cube said with a grin, “I think it’s time we headed off.”

With its last ounce of strength, the sole leaf gave an impossible sigh, let go of the twisted branch it had hopelessly clung to, and plummeted slowly onto the cold stone below.

Chapter 1

Chapter 2

Chapter 3

Chapter 4

Chapter 5

Chapter 6

Chapter 7

Chapter 8

Chapter 9

Chapter 10

Chapter 11

Chapter 12

Since you're starting to use usernames there, is there much point in sending real names?

Since you're starting to use usernames there, is there much point in sending real names?

Absolutely. Trust me. I'll need your surname as well, EEVIL.

If you watch Death Note, you'd know why.

I'm a Death God! Woohoo! Can't wait to see how it continues next Wednesday.

Yeay! i'm in the story!, even better, a story about Death Note :) Remember, if you kill me off expect to pay dearly.

I'll need your full name, date of birth, mothers maiden name, sort code, account number and pin number ;)

Well I ain't sharing my name but I look forward to reading :heh: try reach the end this time ;)

Well I ain't sharing my name but I look forward to reading :heh: try reach the end this time ;)

Eh? I did finish last time. And you don't have to use your real name, just a somewhat realistic one.

I realize now my Portuguese name might not fit that well. Feel free to eliminate it.

Don't know the story but PMed anyway as I was in the last one you did :heh:

epicmikamismallwl1.gif

SAKUJO!!!

I'm missing it already. :(

PM sent quite a while ago now :)

I would but I fear having a heart attack and kicking the bucket.

then you must send me a PM with the title 'N-E Death Note' containing your real name.

What do us mentioned in Chapter 0 do about this? Do we send out real names, or will you just use our usernames?

This should be a laugh. See if it rivals the greatness of the CE Batle Royale thread.

What do us mentioned in Chapter 0 do about this? Do we send out real names, or will you just use our usernames?

You don't need to send your names.

Alright, after a little bit of thought, I've decided that because of the circumstances, just this once, I'll post a chapter of my story early. Expect it tomorrow. (And if someone could reply in the thread so I don't have to double post, that'd be nice.)

Just a few notes: Like the anime, I've decided to include two rules in every chapter at around the half way point. This should help people who have no prior Death Note experience. Also, to those who have seen/read Death Note before, the first few chapters may seem like you're treading on old ground. This was unavoidable, but rest assured, I'm trying to get to the more original aspects of the story as quickly as possible.

Edit: Oh yes, and to be fair, even though I'm posting this chapter early, I'll still accept PMs up until the end of Tuesday.

Here we goooooooooooo.

Chapter 1

Strider slumped in his chair, staring intensely into his monitor, his hands in the ideal positions for hitting both F5 on his keyboard and clicking the refresh button on his browser, depending on what sort of mood he was in. It was pitch black outside, but he didn’t notice; he was fixated on reading the latest N-Europe forum thread to be posted in, while simultaneously listening to music through his headphones at full blast.

A shiver ran down his spine as he felt something touch his left shoulder, and as he turned round, he half expected to see a ghost. Of course, no one was there, but what caught his attention was the small book lying on the floor in front of him. Kneeling down, he picked up the book and turned it over to see the cover. Sounding out the words written on the front of the book, Strider was as equally intrigued as he was confused.

“Death Note.â€

“It’s yours.â€

Strider looked up, startled, at the tall figure now standing in front of him. Frozen with fear, he was able only to utter a single word.

“…Wh... Who…?â€

“Nice to meet you,†the figure held out its claw-like hand, smiling, “my name is Martinist.â€

Martinist was obviously not from this world; Strider could figure out that much by himself simply looking at the creature, but what was it doing here? Realising that Strider wasn’t about to shake his hand, Martinist withdrew his arm with a sigh.

“Sorry about creeping up on you like that, but it’s kind hard not to when you’re in my position.â€

“Wh… What are you? What do you want from me?â€

“What am I? That’s an easy one. What do I want from you? That’s a little more complicated… I’m a death godâ€

Strider gave a small whimper, and then said something that he began to regret as soon as the last syllable left his mouth.

“No, death gods don’t exist! What are you?!â€

Martinist shook his head in frustration.

“I told you, I’m a death god. If you really don’t believe me, all the proof you need is in that notebook I dropped.â€

Again, Martinist raised his arm, this time pointing towards the book in Strider’s hands. Strider looked down at the book, re-reading the words on the cover.

“That notebook,†Martinist said with a grin, “will kill the human whose name is written in it.â€

Death Note: How to Use

The human whose name is written in this note shall die.

The note will not take effect unless the writer has the person’s face in their mind when writing his/her name. Therefore, people sharing the same name will not be affected.

Strider, still kneeling on the floor, opened his mouth steadily.

“K…Kill them?â€

“Yes. You have to have their face in your mind while you’re writing it though, otherwise it won’t work. Once you’ve done that, you’re free to write any cause of death you wish within the next forty seconds, and as long as it’s plausible, it’ll happen.â€

“This… This is insane! It’s just… You can’t… No! It’s not possible!â€

“If you don’t believe me, then why don’t you try it out for yourself?â€

Strider thought about this for a few seconds, and then stated his opinion rationally, which was in stark contrast to his hands, which were now shaking uncontrollably.

“No, no one should have this kind of power. If it is real, then I’d never be able to forgive myself for using it.â€

Martinist took a step backwards and looked out of the window into the dark night sky.

“Fine. If that’s the way you feel, then I won’t be able to change your mind.â€

Strider stared at Martinist in disgust as feelings of contempt flowed through his body.

“You… You sick freak! You’re actually disappointed that I don’t want to use it, aren’t you! You want me to use it!â€

“Us death gods… We don’t have much to do back in our world.â€

Slightly taken aback by Martinist’s seemingly irrelevant comment, Strider stayed silent.

“All we can really do to pass the time is gamble, but after a while, playing the same game over and over gets boring. You have to make your own entertainment.â€

Strider blinked twice, his eyes showing signs of confusion.

“What does any of this have to do with me?â€

Martinist smiled at Strider’s question, clearly pleased that he had asked.

“You, Strider, are my entertainment. You are my gamble. You’re not the only one who has received a Death Note tonight; there are three others. It’s such an exciting idea, to be betting on humans rather than which way rocks or bones will land. Three other death gods and I each chose a human who we thought had potential, and gave them each a Death Note. The last one standing would be allowed to keep the note, and the death god who chose that person would be declared triumphant, and the winner of the game. Sounds fun, doesn’t it?â€

“You… No, you can’t.â€

“Of course, we couldn’t just give the notebooks to anyone; they’d have to all know each other in some way, but nothing too obvious. It took a while, but we eventually settled on a nice little community to pick from. I think you know what I’m talking about, Strider. This is your destiny. You yourself said that no one should ever be allowed the power bestowed by that notebook, but how far are you willing to go to ensure that they aren’t?â€

Without making eye contact with the death god, Strider stood up and breathed in deeply. There was no point in arguing with the death god, he thought. What was done was done, and there was no changing that. All he could do was try to make things right from now on. It was up to him to set things straight again, to clean up the mess that Martinist had created. He looked towards his computer. N-E. That had to be it.

Suddenly, a terrible thought crossed his mind; the battle could be already half lost! Leaping back into his chair, no longer worrying about Martinist, Strider quickly scanned the first page of the general chit chat board, and then the second, and then the third. To his relief, the user image gallery was nowhere to be seen. Nevertheless, this meant an equally dangerous threat existed, for it would be far too coincidental for the thread to disappear otherwise. One of the Death Note owners was either a moderator or an administrator, and now they had the user image gallery all to themselves.

Holy Shit! Awesome dude!! Reading that while listening to the OST, is almost as good as the real thing, I eagerly await the next chapter as if it was a new episode!