NEurope
Guest Jordan

Vista Thread

And admit it, using 'Start' to 'Stop' your computer? It's kinda frustrating...

I didn't get this last part.:hmm:

Here is kind of a nice thing about Vista and it's stupidiness of not Copying the right way from the all-great Apple :wink.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/02/01/remote-exploit-of-vista-speech-reveals-fatal-flaw/

And about the start to stop, it means that you have to push the 'start' button to 'shut down' your computer, and many people have already stated that it's against logics.

Yeah to shut down properly you need to press the little arrow and shut down properly..

But if that snipper tool is in Leopard then there's an excuse to say APPLE IZ CPYIN BAZTARD5

All the options are present my friend:smile:

Yeah I know. I just stated I hate all shiny crap that was first in XP, now in Vista. I don't really know how I could manage if I couldn't turn all that stuff off. :)

I think it's important for an OS to give you visual aid. Apple had the 'ghost in a bottle' animation for a while now and it's effective to see where your window went. Windows Vista has it too, but it's merely because there's no better way to show it off. I love Vista's visual appearance, but if it runs at a slow frame-rate because of that, I wouldn't like it one bit. though, honestly, the classic look is getting some newly-found liking with me. It feels old enough to be a relic, just for still existing.

I am really liking Vista so far. They really learnt alot lately. Ahem and alot of OSX/linux/other os copying

but its for the greater good! :grin:

Office 2007 is also very impressive!

IE7 better than Friefox etc. I am impressed.

I think it's important for an OS to give you visual aid. Apple had the 'ghost in a bottle' animation for a while now and it's effective to see where your window went. Windows Vista has it too, but it's merely because there's no better way to show it off. I love Vista's visual appearance, but if it runs at a slow frame-rate because of that, I wouldn't like it one bit. though, honestly, the classic look is getting some newly-found liking with me. It feels old enough to be a relic, just for still existing.

There is no performance hit using Aero glass. Vista uses hardware acceleration to keep things running smoothly. Infact you could day it frees the CPU for other things.

I have a new (Dell) laptop bought thru my uni with specific applications for my course pre-installed. I couldn't afford to get a better spec'd one at the time of purchase, but with a 1.66GHz Centrino Duo and 512Mb RAM (and a windows vista capable sticker! would it be foolish of me to get Vista?

(Even if I have it offered to me for free....)

I have a new (Dell) laptop bought thru my uni with specific applications for my course pre-installed. I couldn't afford to get a better spec'd one at the time of purchase, but with a 1.66GHz Centrino Duo and 512Mb RAM (and a windows vista capable sticker! would it be foolish of me to get Vista?

(Even if I have it offered to me for free....)

If it's free, there's no problem. Get it. If you have to pay for it, hold of for now, the upgrade over Windows Vista XP SP2, because it doesn't make the buy needed yet. At least, that's what heaps of review have told me - even the Ultimate edition isn't a necessary buy yet.

Survive without.

I am really liking Vista so far. They really learnt alot lately. Ahem and alot of OSX/linux/other os copying

but its for the greater good! :grin:

Office 2007 is also very impressive!

IE7 better than Friefox etc. I am impressed.

There is no performance hit using Aero glass. Vista uses hardware acceleration to keep things running smoothly. Infact you could day it frees the CPU for other things.

You don't need a computer as strong if you run Vista without AERO - so the other thing must be right too. You need a powerfull computer thanks to the AERO interface - and that's for sure.

If it's free, there's no problem. Get it. If you have to pay for it, hold of for now, the upgrade over Windows Vista XP SP2, because it doesn't make the buy needed yet. At least, that's what heaps of review have told me - even the Ultimate edition isn't a necessary buy yet.

Survive without.

Would my laptop be powerful enough to run it though?

Would my laptop be powerful enough to run it though?

If it marks 'Vista Capable', you can assume this. Home Basic would be the edition that runs for sure - all the others are not guaranteed.

Home Basic is pretty useless though. Might aswell keep XP as that does more and Vista would eat 512mb of RAM alive I'm pretty sure. 1gb is like the minimum to what XP was with 512mb.

there is an academic version of vista home premium for about £55-59

IMO if you arent gaming i would use Vista as a personal user if you can. Just make sure your major programs are supported(they very likely are). Seems like most of the drivers have come thorugh at the last minute. XP is pretty awful :wink:

yeah its called vista business edition

I was thinking about getting Vista but OS X seems a lot more stable and reliable and faster and better generally, the whole 3D desktop thingy doesn't interest me soooo looks like i'm off to buy a macbook, toodles.

IMO if you arent gaming i would use Vista as a personal user if you can. Just make sure your major programs are supported(they very likely are). Seems like most of the drivers have come thorugh at the last minute. XP is pretty awful :wink:

No need to pay for any upgrade just yet. Wait for Microsoft to make a better deal, since XP SP2 is the best OS at the moment for Windows platforms. OS X still rocks the hell out of it, though. No need to update just yet.

I'm supposed to receive a free upgrade to Vista Premium, but I foresee it being a pain in the ass to get it sorted as the company I bought my laptop from aren't particularly renowned for their customer service.

So until I decide to take the leap, my XP operating system salad will just have to be garnished with Windowblinds for that authentic resource-hogging, Vista visual experience.

Can you use it on more than one PC? Like XP?

You were never allowed to use it on more than one PC with a singl license, and the same applies for Vista. Thanks to microsofts upgrading program, I'm noy so sure it will be easy...

If it marks 'Vista Capable', you can assume this. Home Basic would be the edition that runs for sure - all the others are not guaranteed.

Why are you stating that? If home basic runs in a system, why would the other versions of Vista not run if it's exacly the same OS? The only thing that can fail is Vista Aero and you can turn it off in any version of Vista.

Home Basic is pretty useless though. Might aswell keep XP as that does more and Vista would eat 512mb of RAM alive I'm pretty sure. 1gb is like the minimum to what XP was with 512mb.

512MB of RAM is fine.

512MB of RAM is fine.

These days, its really not.

512mb is the bare minimum i'd recommend to anyone on XP. On Vista? atleast a gig and a half. Atleast.

Vista uses Turbocache, so it basically takes up as much ram as possible so applications you use alot boot faster.

These days, its really not.

512mb is the bare minimum i'd recommend to anyone on XP. On Vista? atleast a gig and a half. Atleast.

My Laptop is coping with Vista much better than XP. Sure, every now and then a memory-hungry program loads with the basic style (while everything else retains the aero glass style), but other than that, it's fine.

I just don't expect to run brand new games (unless they have decent "minumum" or "medium" settings) from now on.

Hmmm, that seems to be teh case with laptops.

Mine only has a gig of ram, but doesn't get as clogged up with crap as my desktop with 2gigs.

Vista adapts quite well to most things.

512MB of RAM is fine.

According to that guide it's not. Generally using vista with 512 is an unpleasant experience. 1Gb changes things though. I wouldn't even use XP with 512 nowadays.