NEurope
Guest Jordan

Vista Thread

I pretty sure he didn't bought it. (or maybe he did but I doubt it)

Maybe I did... i bought XP x64.

Yeah, the one I was looking at. But you don't get the snazzy box :(

oh you dont? :( i duno if I should get this....

OEM is the much much cheaper option that you can buy online from sites like http://www.overclockers.co.uk

Like when you have a new pc and it comes with Vista, you get given an OEM version of it. The only difference is its in a little cheap cardboard slip thing. And if you make any big hardware changed to your computer you will have to buy another vista license.

whats the DRM's in it like, bad or not to bad?

Go read the links I posted in my first post on this thread.

Generally I'm against vista because it means that hardware costs will probably rise because of it. And I don't like that microsoft can disable my graphics card just because someone found a way to capture hd- content with the same card.

And generally I don't like to be the victim of the first malware that will hit vista.

OEM is the much much cheaper option that you can buy online from sites like http://www.overclockers.co.uk

Like when you have a new pc and it comes with Vista, you get given an OEM version of it. The only difference is its in a little cheap cardboard slip thing. And if you make any big hardware changed to your computer you will have to buy another vista license.

oh, I got a new comp 2 or 3 months ago I think, it says on it Designed for Windows Vista...that cool?

As long as you don't want Aeroglass, the minimum requirements are pretty low.

1.6ghz processor

512mb ram

should handle Vista.

And that's pafetic! MacOs X 10.4 Tiger looks the lot and runs on my 1,33 Ghz G4 PowerPC processor. How come Apple can pull it off to make a system so powerfull yet so easy to run? To be honest, Aeroglass is the only reason fro choosing Vista.

But sadly enough, running Vista on a Celeron won't cope either. You need at least Core Duo or something in the same lines. It's not only en Ghz that matters. It's also how recent.your processor is. I'm going to repeat myself, but hey, pa-fe-tic. Now let's hope I spelled that one out the right way.

And that's pafetic! MacOs X 10.4 Tiger looks the lot and runs on my 1,33 Ghz G4 PowerPC processor. How come Apple can pull it off to make a system so powerfull yet so easy to run? To be honest, Aeroglass is the only reason fro choosing Vista.

Clock speed doesn't really matter anymore. It's a completely different processor. A 1.33Ghz is probably equal to about a 2Ghz P4.

Edit - Remember when the name first changed to Vista from Longhorn? Vista sounds OK now and Longhorn sounds stupid. :heh:

Yeah, the one I was looking at. But you don't get the snazzy box :(

That's pretty damn expensive though..

I am guessing major hardware changes includes the motherboard, CPU and hard drive or is it different this time around?

I havent got a clue The-Ironflame

Anyways hoping to get it this week. I'm actually excited about an OS. *bashes head on keyboard*

The OS is linked to your motherboard in someway, but there is a way you can transfer it to another computer but it then wont work on the original one.

The OS is linked to your motherboard in someway, but there is a way you can transfer it to another computer but it then wont work on the original one.

Yes the retail version works this way, OEM doesn't allow switching to a new computer.

3d desktop on linux:

Longhorn sounds stupid.

It's perverted. Lots of stuff that comes out of Microsoft is perverted now, especially Bungie's Halo 2 map names. Can't wait for Halo 3's JIZZMAGEDDON or whatever they decide to call 'em.

Yes the retail version works this way, OEM doesn't allow switching to a new computer.

3d desktop on linux:

HOT! Too bad it still doesn't play games.

HOT! Too bad it still doesn't play games.

Who needs games when you got a desktop like that ;) Depends on the game, most of them don't work. But the UT- series has linux version of the game on the disc. And I think that most of quake games are also supported. I plan on keeping my xp pro for games. And hope that someone hacks dx10 for it. But I can live without it.

What exactly are the DRM features (or shackles!) that Vista has?

As requested by movie companies, you can only view DRM'ed HD-movies (HD-DVD or Blu-Ray) in 752 x 480 resolution, if you don't have monitor and/or GPU that has support for HDCP (High Bandwith Digital Content Protection). Furthermore, Windows Vista prevents ripping these files from the disc. OSX will have similar features when it is upgraded for next time.

And that's pafetic! MacOs X 10.4 Tiger looks the lot and runs on my 1,33 Ghz G4 PowerPC processor. How come Apple can pull it off to make a system so powerfull yet so easy to run?

First of all, each version of OSX works only in one, single, pre-determined setup. It is way easier to program and optimize something when you don't need to worry about billion different GPUs, motherboards, CPUs, soundcards, network adapters and their combinations. It isn't really Microsoft fault that PC component market isn't monopolized like Macintosh's is.

This page have some information on the DRM's on vista: http://www.grc.com/SecurityNow.htm

specifically episodes 73 and 74

Some interesting things. Like why did microsoft decide to implement the copy protection when hollywood asked? Hollywood would've been the one that suffered the loss if their content couldn't be played on an OS that is installed on most of consumer systems.