NEurope
Guest Jordan

Vista Thread

Some interesting things. Like why did microsoft decide to implement the copy protection when hollywood asked? Hollywood would've been the one that suffered the loss if their content couldn't be played on an OS that is installed on most of consumer systems.

Because even if you are world's biggest company, it isn't really smart to anger other companies. This is especially true with Hollywood, because Microsoft is aiming to start worldwide on-line movie distribution with Xbox 360. With Apple reason is even easier to understand, as Steve Jobbs sits in the board of Disney.

I must say that what i know about Vista, it's quite the thing. it just requires to much of your computer. My aunt bought a computer about a year ago now and strangely enough, it isn't really comptaible with Windows Vista.

I must give it to Microsoft, design-wise, they certainly stole the best things op Apple. I wonder when people are going to get bored of the AERO interface. Sooner than you think, because flashy needs regular renovation to keep unscratched. To me, it's about the looks - and Windows Vista looks the lot!

right, when you install, will it wipe all your files or it just updates?

No, you can upgrade. It will keep everything, while still installing all of the Vista version.

I can't decide to get the retail upgrade at £140.00 for premium or get the Ultimate OEM for £120. I'm not bothered about th posh box just the lack of tech support with the OEM.

I can't decide to get the retail upgrade at £140.00 for premium or get the Ultimate OEM for £120. I'm not bothered about th posh box just the lack of tech support with the OEM.

I'm not sure about all the extras that Ultimate has but probably you won't be using them. It depends on the kind of use you're going to give your PC.

n force 2 users, your out of luck nvidia are not releasing any updated vista mobo drivers for it, guess where stuck with generic Microsoft gart/IDE drivers dang, no wonder my vista business is kind of running groggy, oh well

out of interest does anyone else's vista comp, crash when using the nforce 2 5.10 Win Xp mobo drivers?

I'm not sure about all the extras that Ultimate has but probably you won't be using them. It depends on the kind of use you're going to give your PC.

I use my PC for loads of stuff mainly for gaming though, I just don’t think ultimate is worth it actually so I'm gonna go for Premium, however I have been reading up on OEM licenses. My Pc is made by evesham so its NOT a new build am I gonna be able to use the OEM??? How would M$ even know??

I did just buy an external HDD will that cover the OEM?

Cheers

I use my PC for loads of stuff mainly for gaming though, I just don’t think ultimate is worth it actually so I'm gonna go for Premium, however I have been reading up on OEM licenses. My Pc is made by evesham so its NOT a new build am I gonna be able to use the OEM??? How would M$ even know??

I did just buy an external HDD will that cover the OEM?

Cheers

I think that it's up to the company that sells the OS to make sure the OS is going for a new pc.

I must say that what i know about Vista, it's quite the thing. it just requires to much of your computer. My aunt bought a computer about a year ago now and strangely enough, it isn't really comptaible with Windows Vista.

Actually Vista works pretty much so well as XP if you turn Aero off. That it wouldn't run in anything else than latest supercomputers is mostly Linux / OSX fanatic propaganda that we see always when Microsoft releases something new (and vice versa). But I personally hate OSX / Vista stylish interface shit. I want cold, gray interface. :)

Well at my drum lesson my teacher brought down his laptop and showed me Vista. He loves it, i want it.

cgi.ebay dot co dot uk/Microsoft-WINDOWS-HOME-VISTA-PREMIUM-UPGRADE-RETAIL-BOX_W0QQitemZ130074261595QQihZ003QQcategoryZ41888QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

too good to be true? buying Vista off ebay?

what you think?

you'll need to change the ebay.co.uk for the link to work

yeah i already have XP, is it risky buying off ebay? it looks real enough! Or i could just go for OEM but this way I get the box!

yeah i already have XP, is it risky buying off ebay? it looks real enough! Or i could just go for OEM but this way I get the box!

At the moment, no reason to update your XP SP2 just yet. there isn't that much necesity for it. You know, somebody pointed out today that Microsoft makes his own contradiction and it's fairly big. They say that Vista is supposed to be simple, but are six different edition simple? The choice isn't easy or simple! So what a contradiction. I sort-of liked the 'one color, one system' that Nintendo did with Wii. Because it made it kinda easy to pick.

But I personally hate OSX / Vista stylish interface shit. I want cold, gray interface. :)

classicuq9.png

All the options are present my friend:smile:

I gotta say i love Vista's Snipping Tool. (except for the red border it makes)

classicuq9.png

Apple+Shift+4 - and that is in MacOS X for years now. Great new functionality, introduced only in Windows Vista!

I'm just pointing out that features touted as new are just copies, though they're good copies.

Who cares if they're copies? Only the Apple nuts, of course MS is going to put those things in if it wants to compete.

classicuq9.png

Does it automatically save the files to the desktop/specified folder or do you have to go into Paint first? They should really get rid of that border too....

picture1nl3.png

'Snipped' with OSX. :)

Who cares if they're copies? Only the Apple nuts, of course MS is going to put those things in if it wants to compete.

Thank you.

Does it automatically save the files to the desktop/specified folder or do you have to go into Paint first? They should really get rid of that border too....

Its an entire application.

Can Mac OSx do... THIS!

lollpenisua0.png

Apple+Shift+4 - and that is in MacOS X for years now. Great new functionality, introduced only in Windows Vista!

I'm just pointing out that features touted as new are just copies, though they're good copies.

Have pitty of me you guys... I was answering to Teppo Holmqvist because he liked the classic windows style, so i showed him the window where the option is to tell him the option exists. I am well aware that the Snippet tool should be in windows since Windows 95 and is present on OSX for a long time. I just commented on it saying i like it. It's usefull.

No, you don't need paint anymore, it saves the picture for you.

Can Mac OSx do... THIS!

Now that's inovation!

Thank you.

Its an entire application.

Can Mac OSx do... THIS!

lollpenisua0.png

Got me there, but then again, Leopard isn't on shores yet, so I'm sure we'll be seeying it there too. And you could say they ripped it from windows then. But there are many great 'innovations' that have bein apparantly stolen, like the fast search (Spotlight!), Calendar (how obvious - iCal)e. I'm just naming two. But if you compare the systems, you'll find loads of things that were orignaly Apple's nicely done work.

Don't forget that Windows were a concept conceived by Apple in the first place - yes, they didn't win the lawsuit, but that's because it's a too broad thing to patent, and therefore free for everybody to use. Apple has always bein leading the innovation line and windows following. If apple releases OS X to all systems, Windows could have bein history by a long run now.

Still, ti's nice bein part of a nicé club. But don't think of me as a pure Apple fanatic. I worked with Windows XP for years, and Vista just doesn't top it yet. We'll keep XP here for a while, because it's fairly the best thing avaible for the system. But if I choose, I choose Mac. I choose MacOS. Because of ti's simplicity, and combining that with being deep and professional and you egt a system that does everything. And admit it, using 'Start' to 'Stop' your computer? It's kinda frustrating...

Can someone please explain the differences between the versions? I know the differences between each model (Premium and Ultimate) but these upgrades and OEM and full versions are confusing, what i want is to install Vista on my current machine but if i change my PC i dont want to buy it again. Help.

Thanks.

PS, i want the home premium version.