NEurope
Guest Jordan

Vista Thread

According to Mary Jo Foley The day has finally come: Windows Vista is going gold.

Foley mentions "the public announcement that Windows Vista has been released to manufacturing is going to happen tomorrow, November 8, around 11 a.m. PST, sources close to the company are saying."

Once the RTM has been announced the build should appear on MSDN at the same time according to Microsoft's press release of yesterday.

please please god, let it also be on MSDN academic

Vista now with more WGA and DRM than you could ever want.

I'll pass, XP x64 is all I want at the moment, i see little point in upgrading.

is XP64 much faster? and also whats compatablity like.

There is no point in buying it. It is incompatible with a ton of things.

Its also shit.

Unless you want 128gb of ram

There is no point in buying it. It is incompatible with a ton of things.

Its also shit.

Unless you want 128gb of ram

I've been using it since RC1, theres now not one major program that hasn't got x64 support.

Its not shit.

It supports well over 128gb of ram.

Please do, im tempted to get it and wait a while before vista.

I want to speed up the frames in my games a touch more, i dont need alot but i dont really wanna buy anything over pricey.

List the benefits then.

Increased resources (because your virtual resources can be increased as well as physical)

x64 support games (anything from the Source engine so HL2 etc, Far Cry, UT 2004, Medievil 2 Total War and most new RTS support it) which means larger draw distance and better frame rates.

Because you have a 64 bit kernel, you can have a much more secure system in terms of both spyware and viruses.

Faster boot up times on XP x64 than XP Pro or Home.

64 bit optimised programs not only run faster but are more efficient with less memory leaks (which i've seen from quite a few programs).

32bit will soon be obsolete, all new processors are 64bit, its best to upgrade now and get used to it.

90% of programs now work on XP x64, 64 bit Windows has 32bit compatability the only programs that would't run are ones that require 64 bit kernel control or 64 bit drivers.

you know what, buy it Caris, i dont know why i care so much.

At the end of the day my PC is future proof with a Dual Core 64 bit processor, so if the need arises then i will update.

All i know is that, Creative audigy didnt work on it, nor the the DVD Audio player and many other things (Nintendo dongle(not that i use it, shitty Nintendo online service) Webcam, Scanner, and some other stuff). If you want to spend ages looking for particular drivers for older hardware, by all means go for it.

you know what, buy it Caris, i dont know why i care so much.

At the end of the day my PC is future proof with a Dual Core 64 bit processor, so if the need arises then i will update.

All i know is that, Creative audigy didnt work on it, nor the the DVD Audio player and many other things (Nintendo dongle(not that i use it, shitty Nintendo online service) Webcam, Scanner, and some other stuff). If you want to spend ages looking for particular drivers for older hardware, by all means go for it.

Creative have had 64 bit support from the word go, either you didn't go to the correct site or you didn't look for it right.

Nintendo's dongle works, if you get the Buffallo rather than the original Nintendo drivers.

Webcams and scanners, this is true. My XBOX Live Vision camera works on XP x64 very well.

But yes, older hardware does have problems. But Dabookerman seems to be putting his entire argument into other companies "lack" of drivers...

Hey Jordan while we are on the subject of 64bit.....

How do I check whether I am compatible with 64 bit? Im running vista 32bit i think now.

I feel like bugging Jordan for a question/s as well.

Will games work in 64bit fine?, is it as easy to install as 32bit pro and how many more fps are we talking in games.

THX.

Hey Jordan while we are on the subject of 64bit.....

How do I check whether I am compatible with 64 bit? Im running vista 32bit i think now.

If you have a 64bit processor, either by AMD (Athlon 64, Sempron 64) or Intel (anything since Pentium 4 as long as it has 64 bit extentions)

I feel like bugging Jordan for a question/s as well.

Will games work in 64bit fine?, is it as easy to install as 32bit pro and how many more fps are we talking in games.

THX.

I've never had a single game not run, the only one was because of Starforce protection (Trackmania Sunrise), installation is piss easy its exactly the same as 32bit and infact you can install it straight over 32bit, but a clean install is more practical.

As for 64bit? I had around 10fps increase for HL2 Lost Coast on 64bit over a 32bit set up.

Ah rite cool, sounds quite abit better actully.

Is there anything i should know about settings or options in 64bit or does it do it all itself?

Ah rite cool, sounds quite abit better actully.

Is there anything i should know about settings or options in 64bit or does it do it all itself?

Its all automatic, XP x64 is built from the ground up. But, has WOW64 which means it has full compatabiliy with previous 32bit programs.

AMD athlon 3700+ 64

But I tried installing Vista 64-bit before the 32-bit but wouldn't let me :S

That'll work, weird about Vista though...

There will be a lot of thing that won't support it (like Daemon tools, (yes I know they work now, but it took them some time, and like them there will be others)).

Creative have had 64 bit support from the word go, either you didn't go to the correct site or you didn't look for it right.

Nintendo's dongle works, if you get the Buffallo rather than the original Nintendo drivers.

Webcams and scanners, this is true. My XBOX Live Vision camera works on XP x64 very well.

But yes, older hardware does have problems. But Dabookerman seems to be putting his entire argument into other companies "lack" of drivers...

My 5 year old webcam works on vista, but not on X64.

I feel that the average consumer shouldnt have to search or go to alternative sources just to get their hardware working properly.

At the end of the day, i dont care. I got rid of x64 a few months ago, and im not going back for a long time.

Could we be seeing a Linux-based style for Vista? (what with Microsoft supporting SuSE Linux).

Does anyone have a link to the buffalo drivers that will make the Nintendo WiFi USB dongle work?

One strange thing about Vista: It's more compatible with my Laptops built-in than XP is. On XP, it works very slowly (DVD films - 1 frame per sec or less), on Vista it works perfectly.

Vista now with more WGA and DRM than you could ever want.

I'll pass, XP x64 is all I want at the moment, i see little point in upgrading.

yes but if you can get it for free, then upgrade away

Is there any performace diffrences between the better home version of Vista and ultimate? or is it just full of stuff you dont need. Also are current games fine on Vista?

My 5 year old webcam works on vista, but not on X64.

I feel that the average consumer shouldnt have to search or go to alternative sources just to get their hardware working properly.

At the end of the day, i dont care. I got rid of x64 a few months ago, and im not going back for a long time.

The average consumer doesnt know XP x64 exists, its just a nice little piece of software for those of us who want to use all of our computers hardware without having to upgrade to Nazi OS*

Have a nice time with Vista and its DRM** and stringent EULA***

Is there any performace diffrences between the better home version of Vista and ultimate? or is it just full of stuff you dont need. Also are current games fine on Vista?

Take a look here: http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_editions_final.asp

*AKA Vista

**Digital Rights Management

***End User Lisence Agreement

In 2 days that is :P

So whos getting it? And what version.

I'm going for Home Premium as I don't need business stuff :P But If I bought the oem version would I be missing anything other than the box?

My mum is getting a free Home Premium upgrade with her new laptop. I'm robbing that.

But, I'll stick with Ultimate for a few more months.