NEurope
Guest Jordan

Vista Thread

Windows Starter 2007 (Previously Windows Vista Starter Edition). This version does not use the Vista branding because it will not include the Aero graphics display found in the Vista line of products, and will only ship in a 32-bit version.

Windows Vista Home Basic (and Home Basic N). A simple version of Windows Vista that is aimed at single PC homes. Windows Vista Home Basic is the baseline version of Windows Vista, and the version that all other product editions will build from. Home Basic N is aimed at the EU and will lack Windows Media Player.

Windows Vista Home Premium. Whole home entertainment and personal productivity throughout the home and on the go. As a true superset of Home Basic, Windows Vista Home Premium Edition will include everything from Home Basic, as well as Media Center and Media Center Extender functionality (including Cable Card support).

Windows Vista Business (and Business N) (Previously Windows Vista Professional Edition). Windows Vista Business is roughly analogous to XP Pro today. This version is aimed at business decision makers and IT managers and generalists. Business N is aimed at the EU and will lack Windows Media Player.

Windows Vista Enterprise. Optimized for the enterprise, this version will be a true superset of Windows Vista Pro Edition. It will also include unique features such as Virtual PC, the multi-language user interface (MUI), and the Secure Startup/full volume encryption security technologies ("Cornerstone"). There is no analogous XP version for this product.

Windows Vista Ultimate. The best operating system ever offered for a personal PC, optimized for the individual. Windows Vista Ultimate Edition is a superset of both Vista Home Premium and Vista Business, so it includes all of the features of both of those product versions, plus other features.

So thats... 8 versions and one not listed. So when x86 and x64 versions taken into account that means. 9 X 2 = 18.

18 VERSIONS OF VISTA?! O_o

I will get the full version ultimatly, this is probably the only thing i wont warez as u dont want to warez an os now...

Hmm... I think I'll pass.

Once software starts to require Vista and not XP, i'll nab Vista Ultimate Edition from P2P. ;-)

It's really lame that there are so many versions. It's just going to confuse the average user even more. Home Basic N lacks media player? It's all just really, really lame. I hope that the decent versions (Ultimate?) are at a decent price.

so if you upgrade from XP do you lose all of your stuff youve saved on your pc? i dont understand any of this stuff. if someone can could you make it simple for me?

If its the same as previous OS it'll go like this:

In XP, put the Vista DVD/CD in the drive (it'll probably be DVD only) it will then install all the installation files to your HDD. Then it will reset, delete Windows XP files then install Vista files and importing all your previous XP imformation (drivers, devices, start up programs, documents) and put them in the right places.

You wouldn't lose anything unless you tell Windows installer you want to format the drive.

oh right cool, thats good that you dont lose your stuff. i wonder how much it would cost... not that i want it XP's fine for me right now

I get this for free when it comes out anwyway. Not sure which version it'll be.. it's the one they get at my mum's school (work) so it'll be whatever they get.

It's really lame that there are so many versions. It's just going to confuse the average user even more. Home Basic N lacks media player? It's all just really, really lame. I hope that the decent versions (Ultimate?) are at a decent price.

I'm getting confused and I'd say I was above average. Personally I think so many versions is a bad idea on Microsoft's behalf. Confusing the customer can be bad for sales.

Hardware wise my computer won't run vista, so I think I'm gonna wait until I go to Uni and get a student loan to buy a decent comp. Or get a job and save up, but I have other rubbish to buy/pay for. I would, I suppose go for the full version, providing it wasn't too pricey.

If standard home doesn't have media player, and a pc has xp with media player, would media player be deleted when swapping to vista, or would it stay?

I'm getting confused and I'd say I was above average. Personally I think so many versions is a bad idea on Microsoft's behalf. Confusing the customer can be bad for sales.

Hardware wise my computer won't run vista, so I think I'm gonna wait until I go to Uni and get a student loan to buy a decent comp. Or get a job and save up, but I have other rubbish to buy/pay for. I would, I suppose go for the full version, providing it wasn't too pricey.

Blame the EU for being idiots.

EU: "You can't package a media player with Windows!"

Consumer: "So... what do i play these video files with?"

EU: "Not our problem."

Blame the EU for being idiots.

EU: "You can't package a media player with Windows!"

Consumer: "So... what do i play these video files with?"

EU: "Not our problem."

There's plenty of media players out there, it's not fair for the other devs if Windows comes with one built-in.

There's plenty of media players out there, it's not fair for the other devs if Windows comes with one built-in.

lol

but microsoft are making the OS

the other devs arnt making a OS so it is unfair on microsoft to have to do this

So if they start to make every kind of software and shiping it in they're OS, there's abslutly no problem? Why not do with software what they already do with hardware drivers, and only allow to install software that has "Microsoft Sign". There's a thing called competition.

drivers and microsft signs goes a bit 2 far m8

im only sayin microsoft are putting alot of money into windows vista and they have to make so many versions just because people are complaining

i could see the point as you say if microsft only allowed only there drivers and only allowed there signed programs but its only a media player for fuck sake, nearly all of them are free to download anyway and iv got 3 on my computer, theres no harm in having more than 1 media player on your computer

Meaning a company isn't allowed to be successful?

Meaning it shouldn't be successful by using monopolizing strategies, they could make the product and sell/give it like the others.

I don't really care, but I understand that it might be important for other developers.

It's Microsoft's OS, they should be able to put any of their software in with it. You don't have to use it when you get it, you have the option to go and download winamp and all the other stuff out there.

Microsoft made it, Microsoft should be able to supply it with their OS. I'd be pissed if they blocked stuff I was making for my own product to sell.

It's like making a car and saying "you can't stick your own gearbox in there, there's loads of other gearboxes out there so people can use them instead"

Home Premium will do me, oh, and t be honest, people keep saying this will confuse the average customer.

Hmmm, not to me, the average customer probably will only update their OS when they get a new PC. Buying the OS in a box isn't really something most people do, or is it just me who thinks that way?

Anyway, this'll be the first OS i buy myself as well.

The EU are fucktards. Who are they to say what an operating system can and cannot include? Next they'll be saying MS can't include paint or something equally rediculous.

This does not mean I support MS's evilness, I just with they'd bring out one single operating system package which can do everything, so the user can decide what they want to use it for.