NEurope
Guest Jordan

Vista Thread

i would, but after working out that i'll need Vista HP (about £120) + a gig of ram to replace my existing (£80) + a bigger HDD (£50) i decided not to bother.

£250 is WAY too much money!

My mum is getting a free Home Premium upgrade with her new laptop. I'm robbing that.

you do know that wont work, right?

She's got Windows XP pre-installed on the laptop, and she's getting the vista disk at a later date....why wouldn't it work?

i would, but after working out that i'll need Vista HP (about £120) + a gig of ram to replace my existing (£80) + a bigger HDD (£50) i decided not to bother.

£250 is WAY too much money!

Don't forget you need to upgrade your card to make use of DX10 when it comes out.. I on the other hand may need to get 2 gig kit (1gb x2) seeing as my machine runs faster with 2 sticks rather than 4. That plus the new GFX card and Vista means I've got to pay alot to just play the next gen of PC gaming. And it's not guaranteed that it will work flawlessly.

My mum is getting a free Home Premium upgrade with her new laptop. I'm robbing that.

But, I'll stick with Ultimate for a few more months.

Yeah good luck with that...

Vista's activation is one copy per machine. Simple as.

Also, Vista is a DRM piece of shit. I'm sticking with XP x64 till i am fucking forced over.

Yea, one per machine. My mum's laptop will probably struggle with vista (it's a cheap one). Plus there are the driver-related stuff on top of that (and I won't be around to sort them out for her), so she won't be installing vista, just me.

Yea, one per machine. My mum's laptop will probably struggle with vista (it's a cheap one). Plus there are the driver-related stuff on top of that (and I won't be around to sort them out for her), so she won't be installing vista, just me.

You might also be sent upgrade, not full version...

I'm in no rush to update.

A trusted friend of mine at PC World tried installing Vista on one of their machines and it completely fucked it up. It'll be more stable after a few updates anyway.

The OEM is the one that's one machine only obviously otherwise you'll need to buy the pricey retail version. The Upgrade version you have to have another OS installed it install it. Not sure if the OEM this time around allows many hardware upgrades either.

I bought a new PC a few weeks ago which comes with a free upgrade to Vista Premium, I will probably install it on a seperate partition.

Don't care about the supposed DRM stuff as I don't intend to bother with HD-DVDs or Blu-Ray.

I bought a new PC a few weeks ago which comes with a free upgrade to Vista Premium, I will probably install it on a seperate partition.

Don't care about the supposed DRM stuff as I don't intend to bother with HD-DVDs or Blu-Ray.

If affects any digital medium in any program through any digital out/input. Its way more than just High Def content.

I haven't been too interested, in a year or two the price will have halved along with the number of bugs.

Also, Vista is a DRM piece of shit. I'm sticking with XP x64 till i am fucking forced over.

No, i don't think it is that simple. You can install it in multiple PC's if i'm not mistaken, but there's some rules to that. Check microsoft's site for info.

I've been running Vista for a while and i don't see any instability problem at all. Actually i find it more stable and responsive than XP and i've tested both 32 bit and 64 bit versions. Unless your computer is old i don't see a reason to stay with XP. Also, it seems to be a lot safer this time around, specially the 64 bit version. They have implemented some sick measures that can be bothersome some times but with the purpose of making it a more secure system.

I hope my Uni signs up MSDN with microsoft so that i can get a free legit copy of Vista and Office 2007 :D

No, i don't think it is that simple. You can install it in multiple PC's if i'm not mistaken, but there's some rules to that. Check microsoft's site for info.

I've been running Vista for a while and i don't see any instability problem at all. Actually i find it more stable and responsive than XP and i've tested both 32 bit and 64 bit versions. Unless your computer is old i don't see a reason to stay with XP. Also, it seems to be a lot safer this time around, specially the 64 bit version. They have implemented some sick measures that can be bothersome some times but with the purpose of making it a more secure system.

I hope my Uni signs up MSDN with microsoft so that i can get a free legit copy of Vista and Office 2007 :D

Someone had to cut through the crap.

And I hope your Uni signs MSDN too.

It's like this:

OEM version: One copy/machine and if you decide to upgrade the pc you'll need a new license(a new copy of vista).

Retail: One copy/machine but you can upgrade the machine and re- activate it.

http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/420/1

The hd copy protection also affects those that are not probably going to use hd- drives. Mainly decreased system reliability, elimination of unified drivers and denial of service via license/driver revocation and increased cost of hardware.

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html

And then there's the dx10 issue, http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=22161

I'll just wait for a bit and see if the next kernel of linux supports my hardware better than the current one. Then I'll just begin to tweak cedega/wine to play pc games.

EDIT: Thanks Bogbas, that's cleared it up a little. So your saying if I bought the OEM version from overclockers, and decided in say 3 months to update my graphics card I would have to buy it again?

EDIT: Thanks Bogbas, that's cleared it up a little. So your saying if I bought the OEM version from overclockers, and decided in say 3 months to update my graphics card I would have to buy it again?

Not necessarily, it probably would let you do small upgrades (like xp does before you have to re- activate it) but anything major and you'd have to buy it again.

Not necessarily, it probably would let you do small upgrades (like xp does before you have to re- activate it) but anything major and you'd have to buy it again.

So obviously If I updated the motherboard? And processor?

Is there any other downsides to the OEM?

Cheers Bogbas!

So obviously If I updated the motherboard? And processor?

Is there any other downsides to the OEM?

Cheers Bogbas!

Yes. I think that would be enough.

Can't think of anything. It basically just works like the retail version. Without some support functionality from microsoft I think.

I need to up my RAM first, i think my processor's ok for it. But like i've said before, apparently i get it free from my mum's work. (though that means it is Professional). I think i'm gonna wait a few months, i'm in no hurry to get it.

My drum teacher says they ahve it over at work now, he hadn't had chance to play with it at the time but will have done by now. I guess i'll be hearing his impressions on Wednesday.

I'm probably going to get Ultimate OEM as it's only £120 or so. I'm going to get it once I've built my next PC, which will be around the end of this year.

The family Windows PC wont be upgrade to Vista for many years because a) my dad doesn't like changing things b)it will take my mum another 4 years to work out how to use it.

I'll be upgrading my Mac to Leopard as soon as it comes out though. :)

a) my dad doesn't like changing things

That's a one reason why I won't be upgrading. I just don't think there's any reason to switch to vista. I can't think of anything(useful) that it does that xp doesn't.

And no, dx10 is not a valid reason.