Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Agreed. Hey im not a complete Apple hater by any means, but this phone is LUDICROUSLY expensive.

I'm not sure if this is how anyone else feels, but I definitely don't feel as though this phone is quite as 'disposable' as many seem to feel. Many people want 12 month contracts so they can get a new phone year after year.

I had an original iPhone (definitely ridiculously priced and not something I would buy now), and have had an iPhone 3G for 18 months now, and am happy to wait until July for the new model to come out before upgrading, at which point I will most likely go on a 2 year contract to get the cheapest upfront costs.

I'm not trying to defend high prices, but as a Quality Assurance technician, I do appreciate when a product shines quality wise, and my 3G certainly does in my opinion. I personally feel as though I have got good value for my money with this phone.

To all the iPhone haters... You can't really 'get' the phone without spending a lot of time with it. A lt of the joy is the user interface which works perfectly unlike almost every other phone I've had which have been buggy as hell. Sure other phones have been able to change wallpaper forever but it's not exactly essential and the iPhone can do plenty other phones can't. The major plus point for me is the app store. It really makes my phone so much more than a phone. The breadth of apps around is astounding. Above all for me, it's the future of portable gaming. Fo serious. There are gaming experiences here that are completely unrivalled.

Do you mean info on the lock screen? Or is this the widget thing?

The "widget thing" a truckfull of information from many different sources, all available without even opening anything.

The major plus point for me is the app store

Android is quickly catching up. What's the App Store's stance on demos/trying out apps, anyway?

To all the iPhone haters... You can't really 'get' the phone without spending a lot of time with it. A lt of the joy is the user interface which works perfectly unlike almost every other phone I've had which have been buggy as hell. Sure other phones have been able to change wallpaper forever but it's not exactly essential and the iPhone can do plenty other phones can't. The major plus point for me is the app store. It really makes my phone so much more than a phone. The breadth of apps around is astounding. Above all for me, it's the future of portable gaming. Fo serious. There are gaming experiences here that are completely unrivalled.

I have a 2G Touch, which is essentially the same thing sans phone, and have used my friend's fairly often to play around wtih. Me and it just do not get on. For one thing the "smarter than thou" predictive typing annoys me.

And the fact that I put both my Touch and phone (Samsung Tocco) into Italian language with English dictionary and my phone understood, but my Touch keeps trying to correct anything I type into Italian.

Just like Brief Encounter, the closest we'll get is a Touch ;)

I'm not sure if this is how anyone else feels, but I definitely don't feel as though this phone is quite as 'disposable' as many seem to feel. Many people want 12 month contracts so they can get a new phone year after year.

I had an original iPhone (definitely ridiculously priced and not something I would buy now), and have had an iPhone 3G for 18 months now, and am happy to wait until July for the new model to come out before upgrading, at which point I will most likely go on a 2 year contract to get the cheapest upfront costs.

12 month contracts are being phased out by a lot of companies because they aren't cost effective.... o2 (despite having competition) are doing an 18 month contract for the iphone, £30 pm PLUS £179/£279... I don't really see that as a great deal.. and Apple always seem to come out with new models on a yearlyish basis from what I can see.

I've seen and used an iphone 3gs (one of the girls at weightwatchers has one) and yeah its nice but I can say my HTC is as nice to use. The app store is to me, the only considerable thing going for it, but even then you gotta pay for a lot of the apps. (which doesn't really justify a bigger price tag to me)

I'm agreeing with you that its a nice phone for sure... I don't feel that it justifies the cost when I can have my htc (better camera, better/cleaner touch screen, far better screen resolution, better o.s) for the same money..

Just cause 1 person gets a bug free phone (lucky you) doesn't mean everyone will. Applies to every phone really.

Agreed. Hey im not a complete Apple hater by any means, but this phone is LUDICROUSLY expensive. Can they at least make it awesome beyond words? Basic things like multi tasking... Dear god... So let me get this straight; you couldn't change the wallpaper? That was news 10 years ago.. No?

This is probably why i'll never be an iphone fan. Sure if you get it free with a contract maybe.. But that'll never happen.

(i'm sure its got some good qualities but the poor ones outweigh anything you could try and convince me with)

Anyhooooooooooo. Less beating, more love. My HTC HD2 is awesome. I was mucking around with the camera today, it like saves images instantly. Even with my old phone (5800) it did all the zoomy shizzle when it was taking the picture, making it take a good few seconds to complete/save the picture and sometimes making it fuzzy if i moved by accident during the save. The HTC zooms every time you move the camera angle (sure its a bit epic on the battery but its epic fast in saving images)

Forget camera resolution, video formats etc of competitors ... the UI and multitouch implementation of the iPhone is second to none. That's what makes it a pleasure to use. Ok, and the app store.

Forget camera resolution, video formats etc of competitors ... the UI and multitouch implementation of the iPhone is second to none. That's what makes it a pleasure to use. Ok, and the app store.

+1. The OS and the touch screen on the iPhone are better than any other phone currently on the market, apart from perhaps the Desire. Also in answer to Cube's question - they don't have an app trialing system like android, which I think is a really good idea on Google's part, and hopefully it's something Apple will implement at some point. But at the same time, the app's are all very cheap, if not free on the app store so I don't think it's TOO bad. It could be worse if they cost more and there was no 'trial' option, anyway.

You mean third to HTC Sense optimised Windows 6.5 and Android 2.1?

Then again, it's all personal preference.

For instance, I like how every single operating system in the world has the settings in the program it's related to. It took me half an hour to discover that the email settings weren't in the email app.

I love my iPhone. When I got it, money wasn't an issue, so if you take money out of the equation what do you really have to complain about? It's a great device that runs very fast and very smoothl. I can use it to take good pics (despite what people claim), organise my life, play games, browse the internet, heck it even has an alarm that measures my sleeping pattern and wakes me up when I'm well rested. and has a lot of great apps and games for under 60p each.

So the latest software update brings things that other phones have already, so what? At least they were listening to the userbase. It also had a lot of things for a long time that no other phones had, such as an expansive app library, full mulitouch support, accelerometer, full html browser etc.

HTML5 is a much better format than flash, but it's a bit late to the party and may never become as established before it is deprecated itself. As an observer, to me it just looks like a bitchfight between Apple and Adobe :heh:

I'm actually considering getting an iPhone when the new upadate comes out. This "folder" functionality sounds really innovative, and I've been looking for a phone that shows me adverts when using the programmes and functions, so it sounds perfect for me.

:blush:

you beginning to realise the n900 isn't all that? :P I am actually thinking of getting an ipod touch to complement my N900 as the music player is crap and I still havn't found a way to properly get my music on it with playlists etc...working. Love Gpodder tho for podcasts.

Liking the look of OS 4, seems like the iPhone is pretty complete now. I'm not sure it's quite enough though. Microsoft went that one step further and nobody knows exactly what Google and Symbian/Nokia/Intel have up their sleeves yet.

Also, why are Apple putting all their eggs in the HTML5 basket? It's something that currently still in development by someone who works for Google.

Simple. At the moment Apple have complete control over what software will run on the iPhone platform. Implementing Flash would surrender that control; a lot of apps that have been turned down from the app store could be re-coded in Flash and then embedded on a website.

HTML5 is a safe bet for now. It's good for little more than video and (at a stretch) some animation. It'll be years before it's capable of creating Flash-style software suites.

Guest Captain Falcon

My contract is up next month, though I can renew from the end of the week, and I was looking at the Desire on T-Mobile (I'm with them already) but noticed that the prices have gone up over the last week.

The 18 month contract at £20 now requires £191 for the phone as instead of the £129 they were asking a couple of days ago.

Do you think this is a response to overwhelming demand or an indication they got their prices wrong to begin with and just weren't making any money?

My contract is up next month, though I can renew from the end of the week, and I was looking at the Desire on T-Mobile (I'm with them already) but noticed that the prices have gone up over the last week.

The 18 month contract at £20 now requires £191 for the phone as instead of the £129 they were asking a couple of days ago.

Do you think this is a response to overwhelming demand or an indication they got their prices wrong to begin with and just weren't making any money?

I think It's down to the overwhelming demand. They have had stock issues for the past 2/3 weeks. If you still want one try looking on hotukdeals (search HTC desire) or try mobilephonesdirect.co.uk

Also try giving them a call you may get a web beater deal. I must admit under the previous tariffs some deals were below the handset cost.

you beginning to realise the n900 isn't all that? :P I am actually thinking of getting an ipod touch to complement my N900 as the music player is crap and I still havn't found a way to properly get my music on it with playlists etc...working. Love Gpodder tho for podcasts.

I actually can't tell how much of this is serious. :p

Re playlists....really? Hmmm. I havn't actually tried doing anything like that, but there must be an app for that!

1. Click the header while listening to music and click save playlist to start. You can then add new songs to it, for example, by clicking a song title in a list until a context menu appears that allows you to add it to the list - or you could do this from the title menu to add all songs in an album for example. "Total shuffle" you can get from the media player main menu.

2. According to the manual physical controls in headsets are not supported as the third connector is used for video out apparently. I guess the Bluetooth ones would work. I agree this is something that needs changing when Maemo goes mainstream! For a mobile computer, though, I don't mind - I never used remote with iPod touch either personally.

3. What is slow with the desktop widget in your phone? Seems OK to me. I think the updating frequency of the equalizer is quite lax, though.

And if that doesn't work, this thread.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=34998

Speaking of the N900, I thought that Maemo was going to be their main phone operating system?

Nokia have announced three new phones (C3, C6 and E5) and all three are Symbian, which makes all but the C3 (which should be around £80 unlocked, so the price point saves it) utterly pointless.

Is it possible to update the firmware on my G2 Touch (aka HTC Hero)? And if so, can it be done without wiping the phone's memory?

Unofficial updates are available, the official update is due at the end of this month.

It can't be done without wiping the phone's memory. However, you can sync your contacts with Google (so you shouldn't lose those), your emails are likely linked to the server.

I suggest "SMS Backup & Restore" (It's free) to backup your Texts to your SD card. If you want to save any application data there are plenty of application backup apps. Any paid applications will be linked to your account so you'll be able to download them again for free.