Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

N-Europe chat discussion (plus full IRC guide.)

Shorty

Anything you need to discuss about the N-Europe chat room, including but not limited to technical difficulties, in this thread please :)

N-E IRC (Internet Relay Chat) Guide

Back in the day, before I had a colourful name, when people like Sven, Tim, Jim, Gerben, Rob... all those rare names ran the show - we had a chat room. Specifically, "irc" or "Internet Relay Chat". It was pretty big actually, some fond memories. To the point, a lot of people have been talking about about their inability to get on the chat room, so here's a guide.

If you already know your IRC. This is all you need to know: Quakenet server. #cube-europe

If you think you're fairly competent with computers, just take that knowledge and get mIRC, google it!

If you don't, take heed!

There are two ways to get on:

With the Java Applet or with an IRC client. The details of how to do the first are all above the horizontal line. Then the IRC client is explained up to the next. Anything after that is just added tips. It looks long but just find the bits you need :)

Mac Users, scroll towards Moria's section at the bottom of this post.

Getting on the room with the Java Applet

(note the design/interface may have changed slightly if the applet has been upgraded since the screen grabs were made)

At the top of this forum you should see a chat button:

chatbutton.jpg

Clicking on it should take you here:

javalogin.gif

If this page fails to load, you may need the latest version of your OS, an upgraded browser: [Latest Firefox|Latest Opera|IE7] or to download and install Java.

Once the page is working. Enter a nickname in the box, you should find yourself connecting, something like this:

javaloggedin.gif

If you fail to connect, your Firewall or router's firewall may be blocking connections. By default, they shouldn't be, so check it out.

Moments later you should find yourself in the chat room! If you're in the right place, it will look exactly like this (but with different topic/different people on the right, obviously).

rightplace.gif

Use the bottom bar to type your messages and chat away :)

95%[/hr]

Connecting with an irc client **reccomended**

Much better than a java applet is an irc client. These are far wider used, can be used to share files, can allow tabs for other channels, custom layouts and colours, integration of scripts, automatic connection/login, rightclick options for other chatters - etc..

The most popular and easy to use is mIRC. Although it's shareware, it will not stop working after the trial period.

Download and install mIRC from here.

When you first open it, you'll get this screen:

startmirc.gif

Just hit Continue. You'll next be prompted with the main options window. (If you're not, locate the connection button near the lightning bolt on the menu, top left)

First thing you want to do is select servers from the left hand side. Find any Quakenet server. Don't hit OK or Connect just yet.

selectquakenet.gif

Next go to "Connect" on the left, enter your name, email (if you want, just make these up, but there's no reason to) - pick a username you want to use, and an alternative in case that is not available. Then hit "Connect"!

name.gif

You should see details of your connection to Quakenet, similar to the one above for the java applet, and then this, the channels window:

channels.gif

Since Cube-Europe won't be in that list. Type #cube-europe into the top box and hit go!

That's really all there is to it. In the future you won't have to pick a server or a username. And if you want, you can follow the optional steps further down to improving use of mIRC.

95%[/hr]

General tips on use of irc:

The people with @ before their names are ops, or Operators. These people aren't the forum staff, they aren't even necessarily site staff. They're people that have been in charge of that room longer than I've been alive for. If you piss about too much, they can kick you and ban you from the room. And don't beg to get opped. That'll probably get you removed too.

The room has it's own rules and faq typed by the audacious Schpickles. Give it a read: http://www.schpickles.co.uk/ce/FAQ.htm

Crazy amounts of spam will get you autokicked by the bot, L.

You can change your nickname at any time by typing /nick newnick. For example /nick Adrian_Mole would change my name to Adrian_Mole. You can find out more about another chatter by typing /whois nick. For example, /whois Shorty would tell you the other rooms I am in, any name details I have entered, and where I am.

If you have the AMIP plugin installed for your mp3 playing software, you can tell us what song you're listening to by typing /dde mplug announce. To make this shorter, go to tools > scripts editor > aliases tab and add the line: /np /dde mplug announce. Now you only need to type /np. Type /dde mplug options to customise the script options.

Tips for better use of mIRC

Want to make things a bit easier for yourself? Here's how.

1. Highlight. From the same options window you used to pick a server (reaccessed by the menu button next to the lightning bolt), pick "Highlight" from the left hand side. Enter your name in various forms and pick colours and sounds to have your PC beep and flash at you when someone says your name.

2. Tab. A useful hint. Hit "tab" to autocomplete someone's name. Sh-tab should give you "Shorty". If someone called "Shaun" happened to be on at the time, you could press tab twice, or type "Sho", to get to me.

3. Private messages. To send someone a private message, type /msg nick message. Example: /msg Jordan_NE what's up, Jordan?

4. Authing. If you want to authorise yourself on Quakenet, so people know for sure you are who you say you are - type

/msg q hello [email protected] [email protected]

(where you put your email address in twice, make sure it's a real one).

This will send you an email with tips on how to finish authing yourself. Make sure you don't copy and paste the password when you get to that stage, or you might accidentally post your password. Anything over 1 line that is pasted automatically starts new lines.

5. Perform. In the "Option" category of the options, you can pick "Perform", this gives a list of functions that start when you connect. I use this to auth myself automatically and join #cube-europe. I think my example below explains it well:

perform.gif

Once you're using this, you can uncheck the "Pop up favorites on connect" box on the channels window.

6. NNS. Or "No Name Script". Want your mIRC to look infinitely prettier? Get NNS from here: http://www.nnscript.de/ - follow the instructions for installation carefully and you can install lots of nice scripts and themes.

95%[/hr]

Mac

Coming soon! (ie. Whenver Moria has a chance)

In the mean time, if you have Opera 9 you can connect using that.

Go to Tools at the top menu.

Mail and chat accounts...

Add

Chat (IRC)

Type in your details

Connect to irc.quakenet.org

Type in /join #cube-europe (alt and 3 gives you a # if you didn't know how to)

You can get Firefox plugins which do exactly the same thing, I'll write it up properly later on tonight.

95%[/hr]

That's all for now.

Bear in mind I only just started using IRC again recently for the first time in years - this is most of what I remember.

If you have any questions, ask away - I'll see what I can do to help. :)

Thanks to Emo/jayseven for help with a screencap and Moria for Opera/Firefox plugin and mac details.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to let you know, the links at the top are messed up (only on the chat page). Clicking chat sends you to home, forum to chat, blog to forum.

Also it said my name was already in use... :( I give, chatting was way easier in the meaningless thread :heh:

Yeah, sometimes the header at the top misaligns with the links. To be sure, when you hover over the chat button, check the link (it should appear in your browser at the bottom.) If you're hovering over the chat thing and it takes you to the main page, then just move over to the right slightly. :P

(btw, first post in gen chit chat since)

Ive been on mIRC before, but when I click SERVERS all I get is a blank box

What am I doing wrong as I cant remember?

You have to pick a network in the top box, which should automatically be set to 'all'. If that still doesn't work, you can click "add" and put in anything as the description, irc.quakenet.org as the server and 6667 as the port.

You have to pick a network in the top box, which should automatically be set to 'all'. If that still doesn't work, you can click "add" and put in anything as the description, irc.quakenet.org as the server and 6667 as the port.

wheres network? what top box?

gah i hate mIRC!

Can you be more specific please Calza? Maybe post a screenshot of what does appear?

I can't open mIRC keeps going on about malware and shit.
I suggest re-downloading it from the site, doing a full virus/adware scan and revising your security software. AVG, Avast!, Adaware and Win XP Firewall all let mIRC connect without problems.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!