NEurope
immy

Rayman and red steel sales!

I like when a good game sells well. Red steel is a good game but will be seen as crap as more wii-shooters come.I could name about 12 flaws with it in the other thread i hope these are addressed in the new game.

Rayman is a good laugh. All the problems i had with it seemed to be addressed in the new game. So yah indeed i say.

And still they say this:

Ubisoft discusses future software, Nintendo support

Ubisoft boss Yves Guillemot is opening up once again, discussing the company’s plans for the DS and Wii. Mr. Guillemot stressed that Ubisoft is putting a lot more focus on the Wii and DS than the PS3 or 360. He says that the two Nintendo platforms are really being embraced by the public while the other two consoles are being adopted very slowly. He also states that companies have to stop looking at console sales to decide where their games should be placed. You have to pick the right platform for your game.

Casual games are quickly becoming a focus for Ubisoft, with somewhere around 20 titles falling under this category. Mr. Guillemot is hoping to see over 20% of Ubisoft’s revenue coming from this venture. Mr. Guillemot recognizes that these are some ambitious goals, but is confident that this approach will benefit the company.

Source: http://gonintendo.com/?p=18682

So basically... Do low cost shitty games or ports for Wii and DS so you raise money to invest on other consoles and high budget games that we won't see?

Call it non-gamer console every time the chance comes and even if it doesn't and advise other developers to do the same? Oh, that and advise them not to do "real games" for wii, only money raising for the real stuff.

So I guess Ubisoft thinks Nintendo consoles are the place for games like Horsez and My coach and the others get the good stuff...

Fair enough... I'm so going to boicott them, they won't see a penny of mine for as long as they piss on me.

http://www.cubed3.com/news/7655/1/Reggie:_Third_Parties_Strong_on_Wii,_Overtaking_Xbox_360_in_2007_&_More

Nintendo News | Reggie: Third Parties Strong on Wii, Overtaking Xbox 360 in 2007 & More

Reggie Fils-Aime was recently quizzed on the performance of Nintendo's Wii, how it compares to other formats and the state of Third Parties, and as usual provided very frank answers. Below are some choice quotes:

Q: You said independent, third-party publishers have collectively sold more games for Wii than Nintendo. Have any of these companies topped a million units sold with any of their individual titles?

Reggie Fils-Aime: They have not, but a number have reached or are about to reach the half million mark. Ubisoft has two titles that are awfully close. EA has done very well with Madden and Tiger Woods. Activision has done very well.

We focus on this because there's a historical view that third-party licensees cannot make money on Nintendo platforms, and it's just false. Today, third parties are doing extremely well both on Wii and DS. That's why they're devoting more and more of their own development resources against these two platforms.

Q: Do you foresee a day when third-party publishers beat out Nintendo for the first-place position for Wii game sales?

Reggie Fils-Aime: I think it's certainly doable. I think some of the content here is quite provocative. Boogie from EA is quite provocative. I love the support we're getting from 2K games and their sports franchise. Activision with Guitar Hero -- when that comes out on Wii I think that has the potential to become the top-selling game across the industry.

Q: When do you think that crossover point might be -- this year? [ With regards to catching the Xbox 360 ]

Reggie Fils-Aime: On a U.S. basis, we have sold through roughly 2.5 million Wiis... On a pace of 2-to-1 [compared with Xbox 360 sales], that inflection point certainly happens this year, if not next.

Q: Sony has said that the PS3 is a technology that's future-proof because of its powerful microprocessor and high-definition disc format. In a couple years, is there a possibility the Wii will start looking a little creaky in comparison to the PS3, and Nintendo will be left in the dust?

Reggie Fils-Aime: I guess when you're not doing well you have to grasp at something. From our perspective, this industry is about entertainment and it's about driving a consumer interface and engagement with content. That's why people want to play games. From that standpoint, our strategy is certainly working and we believe it's going to work into the future. What that future is going to look like and what's the content - stay tuned.

When I read that earlier, the way Reggie phrased his answer about third party sales, it sounded like Ubisofts games were around the 500,000 sales mark, which I was surprised about for games like Red Steel and Rayman. However, he must have meant Ubisoft are close to 1 million.

No...that interview is from a long time ago.

And games as purely an entertainment medium? I don't know, I would like to see it as something more myself. Just goes to show how their perspective on games is changing so much.

No...that interview is from a long time ago.

Reason: Old topic gets bump on Gaf and immy and some sites takes this as new infomation.

Launch wasn't that full of super games so I guess Ubisoft was lucky that there was nearly no competition - I mean most people buy a few games at launch. I always said that Ubisoft is worse than EA.

yay i guess

not really, these games sold through the power of marketing not gameplay. I enjoyed the adverts more than the games

not really, these games sold through the power of marketing not gameplay. I enjoyed the adverts more than the games

lol reallly, thats a bit sad.

lol reallly, thats a bit sad.

He's right though. Alot of the games are mighty shite, where-as the adverts are mighty tasty.

the best part of rayman raving rabbids 1 was wathcing the bunnies very useful scientific facts on youtube.

Basically Ubi has two options:

1) Hey, look at that, the crap games we made in 8 months sold near to a million. Let's hire some mobile phone developers for us to fill the Wii library.

2) Hey, look at that, the games we made in 8 months sold near a million - I wonder what will happen if we actually put some effort in?

I hope the Wii sales will have them pick option 2...

Basically Ubi has two options:

1) Hey, look at that, the crap games we made in 8 months sold near to a million. Let's hire some mobile phone developers for us to fill the Wii library.

2) Hey, look at that, the games we made in 8 months sold near a million - I wonder what will happen if we actually put some effort in?

I hope the Wii sales will have them pick option 2...

Haha, lol :P

I haven't been that happy with Ubisoft as I think I would. I got both RRR and Red Steel. Both games sold so well because the timing and PR was done right. Nintendo fans crave exclusively made titles. We buy them en mass if they're quality titles, or when we believe they do. Red Steel, though a very enjoyable title, was rushed. RRR is an excellent party-game, but kinda shallow on your own actually. Still, two very good efforts.

Then came the lazy ports and uninteresting titles: Splinter Cell, Far Cry (what were they thinking???), Monster Truck (ouch!), GT (decent Cube title, still zero effort), Open Season and Prince of Persia (Great, but not for full-price).

I think we all want to see proper titles. RRR2 and My Coach are interesting and fine, but i think we all want to more titles with more 'meat', dont we?

A Brothers in Arms title is scheduled for release later this year, don't go waste the opportunity Ubi!

EA has the power and resources to off load thousands of average games rapidly. However they did not because they value their brand and franchises

Haha, lol :P

I haven't been that happy with Ubisoft as I think I would. I got both RRR and Red Steel. Both games sold so well because the timing and PR was done right. Nintendo fans crave exclusively made titles. We buy them en mass if they're quality titles, or when we believe they do. Red Steel, though a very enjoyable title, was rushed. RRR is an excellent party-game, but kinda shallow on your own actually. Still, two very good efforts.

Then came the lazy ports and uninteresting titles: Splinter Cell, Far Cry (what were they thinking???), Monster Truck (ouch!), GT (decent Cube title, still zero effort), Open Season and Prince of Persia (Great, but not for full-price).

I think we all want to see proper titles. RRR2 and My Coach are interesting and fine, but i think we all want to more titles with more 'meat', dont we?

A Brothers in Arms title is scheduled for release later this year, don't go waste the opportunity Ubi!

I totally Agree!

Ironically I have high hopes for Brothers in Arms, especially if you look at the DS title. I reckon they would have learnt from the mistakes of RS and I expect a solid multiplayer component.

Its you're perfect opportunity to regain some credibility Ubi!

Ironically I have high hopes for Brothers in Arms, especially if you look at the DS title. I reckon they would have learnt from the mistakes of RS and I expect a solid multiplayer component.

Its you're perfect opportunity to regain some credibility Ubi!

I do too, but that's not Ubi, Ubi is only publishing, it's up to Gearbox, and I have faith in Gearbox, not ubi.

I do too, but that's not Ubi, Ubi is only publishing, it's up to Gearbox, and I have faith in Gearbox, not ubi.

Even better:)

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/792/792772p1.html

Looks like they are trying to redeem themselves!

US, May 30, 2007 - Publisher Ubisoft was one of the first third parties to recognize the potential of Nintendo's Wii console and back the platform with a wealth of titles. The company's headlining launch games, Red Steel and Rayman Raving Rabbids, were both exclusively created for Wii and have in the six months since they released each become million-sellers around the world. However, many of the developer's other efforts - all of them quick and unimpressive ports of previously released games on other systems - have faired poorly both from a critical and retail perspective. In an interview with leading German news magazine Spiegel, Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot and European head Alain Corre admitted that the publisher was too quick to rush these titles to the market.

"We made mistakes," they told the magazine. According to Spiegel, Ubisoft wanted to be first to capitalize on Wii and in its haste to release product it sacrificed the quality of the titles. Ubisoft has reportedly learned from its mistakes, though, and is promising that the quality of its forthcoming Wii projects will be significantly better.

Corre told Spiegel he is not content with sales of PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360. "Sony should set a new price point soon it is still wants to sell a satisfactory amount of units this year," he said, adding, "Microsoft, too, by the way."

Spiegel is one of Europe's most influential news magazines with a weekly circulation of about one million. The publication's recent interview with Ubisoft's heads was part of a bigger piece entitled "Shelf Warmer PlayStation 3: Desperately Seeking Players," which took a very critical look at the underwhelming sales of Sony's technological goliath.

I hope you're not all talk, because we'll soon find out.

I still have faith in Ubisoft. Rayman Raving Rabbids was good and Red Steel was awesome. Their other games may be of questionable quality, but I am of the firm belief that they will make more awesome games for the Wii, I mean, it's always a start that they admit that they made a mistake, isn't it?

Capcom admitted Simliar during the gamecube era if i remember right and after that They created the best games for it.

I hope you're not all talk, because we'll soon find out.
I find it very reassuring that they see their own mistakes. Ubi probably wouldn't get away with Red Steel 2 or RRR2 if they weren't miles better than the first, and luckily all the crap ports have sold bad.

Let's put it this way - Ubisoft knows they need more quality on Wii, and if Ubi puts quality on a console they do it well.

Glad to see Ubi's main Wii-orientated games doing well. I thought Rabbids was fun while it lasted and Red steel, while being heavily flawed, was surprisingly good fun.

Hmmm, bit of modisty is always refreshing in this industry. I'm a big fan of Ubisoft, Splinter Cell especially. Assasins Creed will be excellent, i'll put money on it. Yet their first six months on Wii were very poor. However when Ubisoft want to they can make a great game.