NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
mike-zim

Risk - The board game

Ok so i played this at a mates house thiss weekend and i really enjoyed it. I want to buy it and have seen it in argos for £15. i just wonder if i should buy it.

Who else has played and what do they think of it?

First time I played it is was excellent. Second time, it wasn't half as good. I think I over or under complicated the rules or something. Anyway the magic was gone and this post is anything but helpful.

I love Risk, you should definitely buy it.

(think of this as a placeholder until I come back from work and can write something longer)

Risk is an excellent board game. The first time you play it is the best. I only have star wars risk which if you play the full version is over complicated with unneccessary rules. You can play it with the usual rules though. Anywho to sum up buy Risk it's a very enjoyable game, when playing it with a lot of friends. On your own not so much as you become insane and start talking to your army. (Don't ask me how i know this).

it is just i think if i buy it the missus will kill me as i have no money at all.

I think I have attempted to play risk when I was a lot younger, but never really understood it and didn't finish the game. I imagine it has potential to be interesting, but it probably isn't abstract enough for me.

It's great with a bunch of mates that are all committed to playing it the whole night, or at least into the early hours. An hour, or even two, would not do it justice.

It should also be accompanied by pizza.

I love it, mostly because I always manipulate other players into attacking each other, and just sit at the side hoarding an army.

I often win/lose.

I realistically prefer Monopoly though, like more fun driving about london in a battleship, buying Hotels all over the shop.

Risk is great. If you like Risk you should check out some of the Axis & Allies series. It's basically a more complicated form of risk for the WW2 entusiasts among us.

oh the nights i've had at gaggle's place playing risk....it wasn't a pretty sight, (not when Ricky is playing anyway).

i remember taking over the UK with one man, just by the luck of the dice, i held the northern and western regions of europe and held south america and part of canada and north america.

we were playing a missions game i think, and i seem to remember either gaggle64 or Ricky winning.

Risk is my favourite boardgame; It can be awesome, but if it goes pearshaped too quickly it sucks.

oh the nights i've had at gaggle's place playing risk....it wasn't a pretty sight, (not when Ricky is playing anyway).

i remember taking over the UK with one man, just by the luck of the dice, i held the northern and western regions of europe and held south america and part of canada and north america.

we were playing a missions game i think, and i seem to remember either gaggle64 or Ricky winning.

It was Ricky last time. As I recall we ended up skirmishing each other for control of North America. We were both doomed to defeat well before that but it was a highly entertaining final phase, a last stand scrap between the two runners up for the moral victory. Bah. If only Andrew had taken initiative and pushed into Asia.

Oh risk is an awesome game.

Now all we need is CnC Risk, awesome.

Risk is awesome, I love it. Havn't played it for years though.

Never play Lord of the Rings Risk...it will only end in tears!

Diplomacy is a much better board game and very similar. Just without the luck. (need several players for a really good backstabby game)

I have a love & hate relationship with Risk and Monopoly. I don't know why, but I love them so much and get an irrisistable urge to play them. but as soon as I start playing I'm immediately overwhelmed by the sense of repetitiveness and start to think "what's the point" and I put down the pieces.

Never play Lord of the Rings Risk...it will only end in tears!

Thats the version I have. Overcomplicated.

Warhammer 40k Risk. I've never touched the models but I'm a big fan of Dawn of War and the Goblins (?green men) are awesome.

Sign in to follow this