Scientology (and me)

Rummy

Now with links to the documentary!

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

No, I'm not one, and I'm not converted.

This is about what I've just witnessed on Panorama on BBC1(an article from bbc is here). Seriously, anybody who can get a hold of this when it hits the internet, watch it. They're like some fucking secret mafia police, and that isn't an exaggeration. There was much in the documentary of the actual content and teachings about scientology, it mainly focuses on their ruthless methods of attempting to discredit any critics, in particular ones who call the 'religion' a cult.

I tell you, that is some freaky worrying shit, and for anyone who saw it, feel free to discuss it here.

EDIT:This thread is about the documentary and scientology's 'fair game' principles, which were quite evident throughout the documentary and not so much the religion itself. Have a read of this for a better idea of their stalkerish behaviours;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_game_%28Scientology%29

As early as the mid-1950s, Hubbard advocated taking a punitive line towards the perceived enemies of Scientology. In 1955, Hubbard told Scientologists that "the law can be used very easily to harass ... The purpose of the suit is to harass and discourage, rather than to win - if possible, of course, ruin [the target] utterly".[1]

While making our BBC Panorama film "Scientology and Me" I have been shouted at, spied on, had my hotel invaded at midnight, denounced as a "bigot" by star Scientologists and been chased round the streets of Los Angeles by sinister strangers.

Back in Britain strangers have called on my neighbours, my mother-in-law's house and someone spied on my wedding and fled the moment he was challenged.

Well, any religious institution that's insecure enough to debunk their critics in such a way obviously isn't worth thinking about twice. Well, of course, it's a religion, so that's another good reason for not thinking about it twice.

I should have known the south parkers would have stepped into this. Admittedly, I knew pretty much nothing but what I'd learnt from south park, but just seeing this documentary is really creepy scary, and the worrying thing is that they have a fair bit of support already like. Plus lots of celebrities on their side. Plus, they say Psychology/Psychiatry is the tool of the devil basically, they can fuck right off with that. I tell you, that documentary has done nothing but inspire me to want to fight against them.

Also, it's debateable about how true it is, but a quote about John Travolta and Kelly Preston from wikipedia;

Personal life

Travolta married actress Kelly Preston in 1991. They have a son named Jett, and a daughter named Ella Bleu. On April 10, 2006, Mark Ebner of Hollywood, Interrupted made a public plea to Travolta and Preston to have their son treated for autism, alleging five reliable sources—including representatives from Cure Autism Now and The Autism Perspective—who say that Jett suffers from autism, and not from Kawasaki syndrome as stated by the parents.[6][7][8] His brother Joey Travolta recently produced a documentary about autism.

They are DENYING THAT THEIR CHILD HAS AUTISM. Why? Because psychology is the tool of the devil(or words to that effect, from scientology). I do believe the child is adopted, I may be wrong.

She also devotes much of her time as a board member of the Children's Health Environmental Coalition (CHEC)' date=' a non-profit organization dedicated to educating parents about environmental toxins and potential health hazards for children with illnesses. She joined after their son Jett was diagnosed with Kawasaki syndrome, an illness that she suggests affects children and results in severe allergies and asthma attacks (but has not been found to be associated with Kawasaki's).[/quote']

Damn, I knew there was something I forgot! I wanted to watch it, but was too wrapped up in my revision.

Yeah, Scientology has always been a cult in my view, and a sinister one at that. Any "religion" that requires your credit card details and cuts you off from your friends and family is always going to be a shifty one.

I think there are good things and bad things about all religions. I know Scientology has helped people improve their personas.

Besides, if it makes Tom Cruise happy, whats there to complain about?

Since he got involved with that bunch his behaviour has started to become more erratic and it's actually hurt his public image. Infact I do believe that a major studio linked with him has now not renewed their agreement with him/his company due to those factors.

Since he got involved with that bunch his behaviour has started to become more erratic and it's actually hurt his public image. Infact I do believe that a major studio linked with him has now not renewed their agreement with him/his company due to those factors.

It could also make him more popular. Perhaps people like freaks.

I thought the way the head scientologist guy with the dark glasses continually talked down and shouted at the reporter was just childish and it was completely understandable that he finally lost it. You can't just talk over someone when they are trying to make a valid point about an interview when the Scientologists weren't even there. They seem very very shady and try to intimidate anyone who asks questions.

It's a very dangerous cult to get involved with and I sure hope noone I know ends up trapped within their ranks.

Had a huge debate with my friend over this recently. Personally I think it is a CULT not a religion, and should in effect be banned. My friends argument was that the same could be said for any other religion and that it was all about choice and then you are infringing peoples rights, which I sort of see where hes comming from, but peple need to be protected from the danger that is this horrendous cult.

I must admit lately with all the heightened awareness I wont support celebrities that sign up to this bullshit, as in effect Im funding their wacked out cult. Im a pretty tolerant person, and dont mind what people choose to be, but when people choose to be overly stupid and borderline scary thats where I draw the line...

Basically they believe that the world was created by aliens and it is by these godly aliens that will return to earth they will all be enlightened and some other shit (Im probably getting myself confused with movementarians ;))

Each scientologist has to declare their earnings to the heads of scientolgy and they basically take a big cut of their earnings. If Im not mistaken the reason for this is to help other scientologists, but thats BULLSHIT as scientology HQ's are frequently located in the most exclusive postcodes such as Beverly Hills.

Theyve also got some hyped up views that physcology is the work of the devil, to be interrupting with the brain and as well the hugely publicised stance of scientology of birthing

Not to mention this was all invented in the 1950s or so.....by a science fiction writer.

Whod of thunk it?

Well I have a new Religion. It's called Shabbology. Basically you all praise me as your Lord, carry on with your lives as normal.

Until I may need your services then without question you drop who/whatever you're doing and come to my aid. Plus if you find a woman I'm attracted to I get to have her too.

HALLELUJAH!

Can anyone break it down for me? Because most, if not all explanations of Scientology have been met with blank looks and the bullshit alarm going overtime.

I'm not sure anyone could explain Scientology without bullshit in it... The stuff doesn't make sense to me at all, maybe Wikipedia can help you.

Well I have a new Religion. It's called Shabbology. Basically you all praise me as your Lord, carry on with your lives as normal.

Until I may need your services then without question you drop who/whatever you're doing and come to my aid. Plus if you find a woman I'm attracted to I get to have her too.

HALLELUJAH!

Makes sense to me! All Hail Shablord!