N-Europe

Nintendo Point Out The Blatantly Obvious!

antster1983

I didn't even know that Wii had any mod chips, what do they allow you to do?

They allow FREE games!

And yes, Wii modchips allow import games but not all of them. Although Nintendo accidentally did find a way to brick Wiis playing import games. Just be careful with Paper Mario. Be VERY careful.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are some chips which let you play a selection of imported games,I would never buy a pirate one.

Someone said it was easy cause you just attack one thing to the Wii board and solder it and that's it.

And yes there will be a freeloader but I can't be bothered waiting.

I still wonder why Nintendo demanded to use gamecarts, special DVDs, etc. for decades to nearly extinguish piracy on their system and with the Wii they let everything slip out of their hands.

Wii mod chips are basicly GC mod chips and Nintendo must have known about them. Only thing they guard like hell hounds is the virtual console and homebrewn (where as the last would actually be quite cool for some developers).

It's funny how the NoE article on mod chips doesn't even really say what they do. Perhaps if they had said that it allows you to play import games it would have done more harm than good. ;)
Yeah I wonder why they left that bit of info out? :laughing:

Seriously though that article was insulting, not to mention embarrassing for NoE. First they give Europe a shit release schedule and then go on to try and scare people about mod chips so they won't take advantage of their incompetence.

Unbelievable.

How about they just get the games to us in a reasonable time frame, comparable to the JPN/US release dates so people don't need to result to using mod chips!

You'll never grow up, Blender.

Wii bricking won't affect GC games, will it?

Nah, it only happens with Wii games because they update the Wii's firmware, problem is if you update a PAL Wii with a NTSC game, it will replace some needed files with files with different unwanted file names (eg.: screensaver_PAL.png to screensaver_US.png).

;426109"]Has anyone ever pointed out to you than blatant and obvious mean the same thing?

Obvious blatant is obvious.

On the Nintendo Europe site, published yesterday:

Perhaps you are not familiar with mod chips, but nevertheless we would like to draw your attention to some important information.

Modification microchips (mod chips) circumvent the security embedded into Nintendo's products. To install a mod chip into a Nintendo hardware system, it is necessary to dismantle the product and, in some instances, remove components.

The use of mod chips voids the manufacturer's warranty. In addition, the installation of a mod chip can damage the functionality of a Nintendo console, sometimes rendering it incapable of repair. Mod chips have been adjudicated to be illegal in various countries around the world, including the Unites States, the United Kingdom and Hong Kong. Most European countries have also already adopted laws prohibiting the circumvention of technological measures for copyright protection. People caught installing or selling mod chips may be subject to criminal charges.

Well duh! :)

It's only blatantly obvious because you knew it already. The majority of people don't know that modchips are actually illegal.

I would never use a mod chip, I wouldn't risk my console, and these days with eBay and so many second hand shops you can always geta bargain without having to resort to piracy.

I rarely even watch pirate DVDs, only when I'm at my mate's place. I watch everything at the cinema, it's just a much better atmosphere.

Isn't it Nintendo's fault in the first-place?

The reason why people are modding their Wii's is the crap release-dates Europe are always given.

What do they expect? Release a game like Super Paper Mario in America and leave Europe in the lurch, and all the population of Europe are going to sit and wait patiently till Nintendo Of Europe decide to give us a date? I don't think so....

You only have yourself to blame there.

EDIT: I would never buy a mod-chip, to risky, but would consider importing a USA console which isn't illegal.

The true reason is that people want to pirate games. 98-99 percent of modchip users use chip only to pirate games, nothing else.

Well most people over on Eurogamer (including Eurogamer themselves) are talking about the 'importing-chip' so i gave my opinion on that.

There is no Importing chip..

Well then, i and many others are getting slightly confused with chipping and modding then. :D

Overall though, Nintendo should of just left it and shouldn't of posted a statement, i think it's made people more aware of a mod-chip availible for Wii.

There is no Importing chip..

There's only one Wii modchip that doesn't allow imported games, and it's rarely being used anyway.

I agree that it's stupid, most people didn't know a thing about modchips for Wii (neither did I two weeks ago), and now Nintendo themselves raised awareness in the entire Nintendo community.