NEurope
McPhee

Too Human

I see where his coming from, and he's mostly right but he's preaching to the wrong crowd.

I see where his coming from, and he's mostly right but he's preaching to the wrong crowd.

Nah, he isn't. I mean, obviously, NeoGaf being NeoGaf, takes things to ridiculous extremes and I can see that being frustrating for him, but if you go to the internet and to gaming forums, specially the likes of NeoGaf, you need to prepare yourself, if you can't take it, you're a pussy. It's like he wants to divert attention, first he sues epic because the engine doesn't give him what he wants and now he throws a hissy fit and says ridiculous things.

Saying a forum is a badly managed non-profit organization that will crumble upon itself and that it threatens the industry and society? Not right at all.

I said he's right in the sense that anonymity makes people unaccountable for their words and actions, and there for most of them are retards. He just shouldn't have gone there in the first place.

I wasn't particularly impressed with the demo at all. Not sure what happened in the graphics department, really looks terrible. It felt a lot like DMC gameplay wise except I actually had fun with that. 13 years eh? Damn...

I had to stop playing the demo it was turd. It's like Mass Effect and Devil May Cry had a retarded love child. Why when I lock onto an enemy a fair distance away does my character slide across the floor before hitting them with the sword.

Downloading demo now...

...though am wondering whether to cancel or not now

I liked it.

atmosphere is cool, action is frantic enough.

DMC is the wrong comparison. This plays like Diablo.

It has a PSO vibe, so I need to try a co-op demo. Things would seem to get rather tiresome in single player. Is there a character creation system? Some of the character dialogue in the story is weird.

You're always the same dude but like Diablo and WoW, you collect vast loots to customise over the top of his shaven, glowy face.

The combat is pretty fun, if a little shallow, but at least it's not button bashing (I've often thought using the right stick to swing weapons would be a good idea). Unfortunately, it comes apart when you're not being swarmed by enemies. The lock on is awful, it both targets passive bad guys who are standing around picking their nose whilst ignoring ones either rushing you or firing rockets at you, and there is no discernible way to change the lock other than at random, as, once locked left and right on the left stick change from turning to sidestepping.

The combat is pretty fun, if a little shallow, but at least it's not button bashing

Surely pushing a stick in a direction to win 90+% of fights is worse than button bashing?

Surely pushing a stick in a direction to win 90+% of fights is worse than button bashing?

At least it's different...

I played through it all again a minute ago, and I like it a lot more now...

I was expecting something mediocre, but damn... I was speechless. I absolutely loathed the demo. Being just a demo, not judging the game yet, but bad graphics, bad art design (the mountain view was pretty though), bad dialog, mediocre voice acting, horrible controls and fighting mechanics... Seriously, SK? WTF?

I finally got around to playing the demo this morning and I really enjoyed it. It took a while to get used to not being able to control the camera with the R stick but once I got to grips with that I was away.

Yeah from a good half an hour with the demo I'd say it's a 7.5 (outta 10) game. Entertaining but a bit fiddly, hardly the second coming though.

I downloaded the demo when it came online and found it annoying, to say the least, to control. The camera and the fighting were just awful and the menu is just plain stupid when you press start. I turned off after 10 mins but then again, I did the same with other games I have and have played so I may give it another download before I pass a final verdict on whether or not to actually buy it.

From Eurogamer

Silicon Knights boss Denis Dyack said hitting the level 50 limit in Too Human may take anywhere between 50 to 80 hours.

"First play through is probably around 15 hours, I guess, it depends. To get to level 50, it's anywhere from 50 to 80 hours. It's a lot! There's a lot there to want to dig! And to get all the epic loot - I don't even know if it's possible to get everything in the game, it's probably not - not for a single person," Dyack told Kikizo.

The ambitious Xbox 360 role-playing game, based on Norse Mythology and set in an ancient but technologically advanced civilisation, is finally finished. And Europeans will get the game on 29th August.

Dyack, surprisingly, then said work on the two following instalments in the trilogy was already quite far in advance.

"The story was done a long time ago," he said. "The theme of the first game is discovery, the theme of the second game is revenge, and the third game, enlightenment.

"And the trilogy and the whole idea of focusing on the Norse mythology and effects on technology we think is really going to turn people's heads."

The Silicon Knights boss was also optimistic of timely turnouts for the rest of the trilogy; it is "very possible" we will see them before Microsoft replaces the Xbox 360 hardware.

If not, Dyack revealed Too Human was built to be scalable, "So even if another platform does come out, we're not very worried about it."

The demolition of Too Human begins...

Too Human is not a good role-playing game. The five available character classes (Berserker, Defender, Champion, Commando, and Bioengineer) initially offer some strategic gameplay differences because of their proficiency in certain skills -- the Berserker is better with melee weapons, while the Bioengineer has regenerative health. But beyond the first level, these differences become less substantial. Methods for defeating enemies are largely the same for all classes because almost every single enemy attacks with the same rushing-horde mentality.

It also doesn't help that the skill tree is limited and doesn't offer much in the way of variety for combat or abilities. A few skills here and there are specifically tailored for a particular class, but these mostly function as buffs or bonuses for pre-existing passive abilities. The more interesting skills -- namely, those that determine whether your robotic spider helper is geared more defense- or offense -- act similarly regardless of class. There's something to be said for the fact that it's possible to respec the skill tree (allowing you to regain and redistribute points for a price) and explore other branches, but you never feel compelled to do so -- the other skills just aren't that alluring.

But the most disappointing thing, by far, is the loot factor. The game offers no shortage of weapons and armor -- which is good -- but the fact that you're always finding better equipment makes even crafted blueprint items seem ordinary. Nothing's worse than saving money and leveling up to craft a powerful weapon or sturdy armor only to go back into the inventory and see that you already have new blueprints for an even more powerful weapon or even stronger armor. Additionally, the whole process of sorting, equipping, and selling items feels tedious thanks in part to an inelegant inventory system. Even something as simple as managing Charms (items that unlock more buffs) is a major hassle and surprisingly confusing if you don't pay close attention.

On top of all of this, Too Human is also not a good action game. While it deserves some applause for a reasonable translation of PC classic Diablo's mouse-driven controls, its reliance on the right analog stick as a means for attack only works at the most basic level. Attempting fancy aerial attacks exposes just how inadequate and unresponsive this control method is -- you repeatedly swing at nothing but air in midjump. Long-range attacks aren't any better; it's often a struggle to get the camera into an optimal tactical position and to manually select targets. And it's especially irritating when -- even after letting go of the trigger and pressing it back down to lock onto a new target -- guns continue to lock onto an enemy that's already dead.

Interestingly, multiplayer action fares a little better, as long as one player focuses on guns and the other on melee weapons. In fact, Too Human's cooperative mode as a whole is far more entertaining than the single-player experience -- not only does it involve a tiny bit more strategy when two players are going at it, but it also has the additional benefit of not having the horribly animated cut-scenes or rudimentary plot of the single-player experience.

At the very least, the cyber-Norse concept of Too Human is a good one that's worth exploring further, just not in this context. The game is simply schizophrenic; it attempts to be all things to all people and never succeeds in executing any of them well. The end result is in dire need of polish and focus, and that doesn't solely apply to gameplay mechanics. There's absolutely no reason why a game released in 2008 should have a bug where characters can fall through solid ground and into some pseudoabyss.

C-

From 1UP.

*waits for another similiar review before canning his pre order... but feels the chances of one are very high*

but it also has the additional benefit of not having the horribly animated cut-scenes or rudimentary plot of the single-player experience.

Wasn't the multiplayer supposed to be an extremely important part of the game? The lack of cutscenes and stuff makes it sound like it's an extra that was thrown in at the end, like Kameo.

Well i was disappointed by the demo and now these reviews are doing nothing to make me wanna get it... Oh well.