N-Europe

My iPod randomly played Hot Chip's 'Ready For The Floor' earlier and I've loved it ever since. Fun and upbeat.

They're one of my favourite bands these days. Out at the Pictures is my favourite, works so well as an albums starter.

And whoever told me to go get If It Was You - Tegan and Sara - Paj or Chairdriver I think - then I owe you one because it's amazing. A bit less T&C and a bit more conventional at times but still. Living room = What a track.

Wonder if my Tegan and Sara obsession will end anytime soon.

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paj!

• chairdriver

• Slaggis

• Dan_Dare

Top Posters In This Topic

They're one of my favourite bands these days. Out at the Pictures is my favourite, works so well as an albums starter.

And whoever told me to go get If It Was You - Tegan and Sara - Paj or Chairdriver I think - then I owe you one because it's amazing. A bit less T&C and a bit more conventional at times but still. Living room = What a track.

Yeah I said to get it, but then Chair lent me it originally, so effectively we owe him both!

Yeah, I overall prefer it less to the last 2 albums, but some the tracks strike a chord due to the traditional production, like Living Room, Underwater, Terrible Storm etc. Love them.

I went off Tegan and Sara for a few months, now I love them with all my lovely heart.

Last.FM Best of 08!

Albums

10 - Sigur Rós - með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust

9 - Jack Johnson - Sleep Through The Static

8 - Hot Chip - Made In The Dark

7 - Death Cab For Cutie - Narrow Stairs

6 - The Kooks - Konk

5 - The Ting Tings - We Started Nothing

4 - Nine Inch Nails - Ghosts I-IV

3 - Portishead - Third

2 - MGMT - Oracular Spectacular

1 - Coldplay - Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends

Tracks

10 - MGMT - Kids

9 - Coldplay - Strawberry Swing

8 - Coldplay - 42

7 - Katy Perry - I Kiss A Girl

6 - Coldplay - Cemeteries Of London

5 - Coldplay - Life in Technicolour

4 - MGMT - Electric Feel

3 - MGMT - Time to Pretend

2 - Coldplay - Violet Hill

1 - Coldplay - Viva La Vida

Artists

10 - Santogold

9 - Does It Offend You, Yeah?

8 - Bon Iver

7 - Foals

6 - The Last Shadow Puppets

5 - Katy Perry

4 - Fleet Foxes

3 - Sara Bareilles

2 - The Ting Tings

1 - MGMT

Agree or disagree?

Sounds good to me. Though someone posted this a few pages back and I looked at it then.

I hate when people don't believe me when I say how good Santogold is.

Her performance of "Say Aha" was my favourite performance during the whole of the Connect Festival. Like, she actually engaged with the crowd (and waved and thumbed up at me, because I was among the few singing and dancing along).

Her album is literally a must-have.

Yeah it's very good, actually. A really strong debut, and it shows she very versatile, as there's some tracks aren't far off pure pop, but then some definitely alternative punky sounding ones.

Question;

I made a playlist/mix for Triforce_Keeper, but I'm not sure how to get it uploaded to a site like Megaupload, as it has to be zipped. How do I zip it?

Also, it's 24 songs...will that be too many to let it upload?

Chairdriver's Fave Discoveries List 2008

Black Cherry

Absolutely lovely. I saw these guys at Connect (along with about 20 other people) and they were awesome. The front woman had so much presence. And I know it's sorta racist to say, but I love the fact that she's black, and doesn't feel the need to do RnB/soul music.

They just make lovely music.

Also, I adore the fact their name is a Goldfrapp reference.

Control - Black Cherry

Fight Like Apes

These guys are so cool. Me and Paj met them after a Ting Tings gig, and we got loads of signed shit.

Theres a unique "feel" about the band, they have fun, and don't take themselves too seriously, yet they are really credible. They're supporting The Prodigy this year, and I expect them to go onto great things, especially with their album receiving rave reviews in Ireland.

Lend Me Your Face - FLApes

Polly Scattergood

Awesome. She's been called a "Dark storyteller" with a "Haunting, ethereal voice". I love her lyrics, the way her songs are structured, and the fact she's unconventionally looking.

Her album is coming 2009, so watch this space.

Darkness Blows My Mind - Polly Scattergood

I'm Not For Sale / Number 24 - Polly Scattergood

The second song in that video, Number 24, is my favourite song of this year. I just love the charge it has - you can feel her emotion - and the S&M-esque imagery.

St. Vincent

Although she released her album last year, and I missed her boat slightly, I cannot sing her praises enough. A brilliant voice and guitarist. The album is great.

Marry Me - St. Vincent

Rosie & The Goldbug

I found this band recently, and I've already ordered the album online.

The drummer is awesome.

Butterfly - Rosie & The Goldbug

The Lovely Eggs

Greatest band name ever. Make lovely music, tongue placed in cheek.

Have You Ever Heard A Digital Accordian? - The Lovely Eggs

She's hardly a discovery, since everyone who has a musical life should be listening to her anyway.

I would have listed her and Rachel Unthank but the Mercury Music Prize already have sung their praises.

Several wonderful points.

-------

My favourite thing I've ever seen. I love when artists get bored of thier own songs, so fuck with them, for shits and giggles;

-------

What's everyone's favourite film soundtracks? Not just theme songs or whatever, actual OST's that you consider great.

I personally love the Blade Runner soundtrack by Vangelis, and the (classic) soundtrack to Romeo + Juliet (1996).

Several wonderful points.

-------

My favourite thing I've ever seen. I love when artists get bored of thier own songs, so fuck with them, for shits and giggles;

-------

What's everyone's favourite film soundtracks? Not just theme songs or whatever, actual OST's that you consider great.

I personally love the Blade Runner soundtrack by Vangelis, and the (classic) soundtrack to Romeo + Juliet (1996).

Lord of the rings, The Guardian, Ladder 49, Transformers etc.

Chairdriver, do Black Cherry have an album out? That song sounds really good, but I can barely find anything on them on the interwebs.

The ones I've considered good enough to download have been American Beauty, Into the Wild, Juno, Magnolia, Requiem for a Dream, and the piece of utter fucking brilliance that is Fight Club.

Im sure theres more that I've forgotten...

Most Herzog films have fantastic soundtracks, generally composed by Popul Vuh. The Chantal Goya songs from Masculin/Feminin, Jonny Greenwood's score for There Will Be Blood, the original compositions from Le Mepris, Gilda, Shortbus, any Kieslowski film.

There are many.

LCD Soundsystem - New York You’re Bringing Me Down

Awesome video, good song. Never really listened to them before.

I prefer The Warning as a whole but Ready For The Floor just grabbed me from my dreary train ride filled with screaming children and fat people and just made me want to dance!

The LA Riots and Villains remix of 'Ready For The Floor' blows the original out of the water. Apart for 'We're Looking For A Lot Of Love' I don't like the new album all that much.

That the official video? Had heard about it but presumed it was a fanmade vid (like the disturbing video of Miss Piggy singing a Peaches song) but that was the lead singer at the end yes? Still, I adore the song.

And yes that remix is better. Was meant to check out remixes. Cheers.

LCD Soundsystem - New York You’re Bringing Me Down

Awesome video, good song. Never really listened to them before.

Ooh, haven't heard that song before, but 'Soundsystem are very, very good. Have you heard Someone Great? It's a very different song, but an equally good song.

Still, all this new stuff is overrated. Johann Pachelbel's Kanon In D is where it's at for when I'm working...

I need to see Lady GaGa live. I've fallen in love with her album.

The beat in some of the tracks is literally orgasmic. You cannot not start to move around when you hear some of them, I cannot wait to hear some of them on a night out. Some of her lyrics are rather amusing, especially in "Lovegame". Also "Money Honey's" beat is the best thing...ever.

Lovegame and Just Dance are my favourites at the moment.

Just Dance:

Lovegame: (I LOVE this one)

Chairdriver, do Black Cherry have an album out? That song sounds really good, but I can barely find anything on them on the interwebs.

I had to send away for their EPs (of which they have two - "This is Control" and "No Time For Heroes") by going on their Myspace site.

I could probably sent their stuff to you, but I don't really know how to...

Obviously, if you search Black Cherry on Youtube you'll get all Goldfrapp hits, so you're best to search Black Cherry along with a song title.

(Good BC songs: "Radio"; "Control"; "Who's Your Enemy"; "Insecure"; "Tell Me The Reason"; "Lost In The System"; "Cops & Robbers")

-----

Bands you love but never mention?

For me it's Juliette & The Licks. I love You're Speaking My Language; great album, with such lovely tracks (like Long Road Out Of Here, Love Got To Kill, Pray For The Band Latoya etc etc)