N-Europe

Rolling Stone’s list of 100 Greatest Singers of All Time

Aretha Franklin and Ray Charles top a poll of the world’s best singers… as John Lennon ends up at no. 5

She had her first hit over 40 years ago, has 20 Grammys and has been crowned the ‘Queen of Soul’.

And now Aretha Franklin has another honour to add to her collection - she’s been named the the Greatest Singer of All Time in a poll by Rolling Stone magazine.

The 66-year-old diva is the only female in the top 10 list, of which seven are no longer living.

Following close behind is blues legend Ray Charles at two, who was once labelled the ‘only true genius in the business’ by Frank Sinatra.

At three was Elvis Presley, with Sam Cooke at four and John Lennon at five.

Completing the top 10, is Marvin Gay at six, Bob Dylan at seven, Otis Redding at eight, Stevie Wonder at nine and James Brown at 10.

The survey of the world’s top 100 singer was compiled from a shortlist of 179 and was whittled down by musicians, producers, music industry insiders and Rolling Stone editors.

Other names in the top 100 include Sir Paul McCartney at 11, Sir Mick Jagger at 16, Etta James at 22, Michael Jackson at 25, Dusty Springfield at 35, Elton John at 38, Christina Aguilera at 58 and Mariah Carey at 79.

“I knew she could really sing,” Herbie Hancock said of his 2005 collaboration with teen pop’s most accomplished vocalist. “But I didn’t know she could sing like that. She knocked me out.” Christina Aguilera has had the finesse and power of a blues queen ever since she was a child star (she appeared on Star Search at age 11). Even in her teen-pop “Genie in a Bottle” days, she was modeling her dramatic, melismatic technique on old-school soul heroines like Etta James; you could hear it first come to fruition on 2002’s “Beautiful.” Patti Smith, of all people, says Aguilera’s rendition of James Brown’s “It’s a Man’s Man’s Man’s World” at last year’s Grammys was “one of the best performances that I’ve ever seen.Ê.Ê.Ê. I sat and watched it, and at the end, I just involuntarily leapt to my feet. It was amazing.”

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paj!

• chairdriver

• Slaggis

• Dan_Dare

Top Posters In This Topic

Rolling Stone’s list of 100 Greatest Singers of All Time

Aretha Franklin and Ray Charles top a poll of the world’s best singers… as John Lennon ends up at no. 5

She had her first hit over 40 years ago, has 20 Grammys and has been crowned the ‘Queen of Soul’.

And now Aretha Franklin has another honour to add to her collection - she’s been named the the Greatest Singer of All Time in a poll by Rolling Stone magazine.

The 66-year-old diva is the only female in the top 10 list, of which seven are no longer living.

Following close behind is blues legend Ray Charles at two, who was once labelled the ‘only true genius in the business’ by Frank Sinatra.

At three was Elvis Presley, with Sam Cooke at four and John Lennon at five.

Completing the top 10, is Marvin Gay at six, Bob Dylan at seven, Otis Redding at eight, Stevie Wonder at nine and James Brown at 10.

The survey of the world’s top 100 singer was compiled from a shortlist of 179 and was whittled down by musicians, producers, music industry insiders and Rolling Stone editors.

Other names in the top 100 include Sir Paul McCartney at 11, Sir Mick Jagger at 16, Etta James at 22, Michael Jackson at 25, Dusty Springfield at 35, Elton John at 38, Christina Aguilera at 58 and Mariah Carey at 79.

–

“I knew she could really sing,†Herbie Hancock said of his 2005 collaboration with teen pop’s most accomplished vocalist. “But I didn’t know she could sing like that. She knocked me out.†Christina Aguilera has had the finesse and power of a blues queen ever since she was a child star (she appeared on Star Search at age 11). Even in her teen-pop “Genie in a Bottle†days, she was modeling her dramatic, melismatic technique on old-school soul heroines like Etta James; you could hear it first come to fruition on 2002’s “Beautiful.†Patti Smith, of all people, says Aguilera’s rendition of James Brown’s “It’s a Man’s Man’s Man’s World†at last year’s Grammys was “one of the best performances that I’ve ever seen.Ê.Ê.Ê. I sat and watched it, and at the end, I just involuntarily leapt to my feet. It was amazing.â€

I take it that list is more about legendary status then...? Half of them make no sense being above Aguilera in terms of singing ability...they're better artists, but yeah.

Do you have a list of all the ones they listed?

I take it that list is more about legendary status then...? Half of them make no sense being above Aguilera in terms of singing ability...they're better artists, but yeah.

Do you have a list of all the ones they listed?

Was thinking the same :/

It was based on a poll I think, so...

Heres the full list:

100 Mary J. Blige

99 Steven Tyler

98 Stevie Nicks

97 Joe Cocker

96 B.B. King

95 Patti LaBelle

94 Karen Carpenter

93 Annie Lennox

92 Morrissey

91 Levon Helm

90 The Everly Brothers

89 Solomon Burke

88 Willie Nelson

87 Don Henley

86 Art Garfunkel

85 Sam Moore

84 Darlene Love

83 Patti Smith

82 Tom Waits

81 John Lee Hooker

80 Frankie Valli

79 Mariah Carey

78 Sly Stone

77 Merle Haggard

76 Steve Perry

75 Iggy Pop

74 James Taylor

73 Dolly Parton

72 John Fogerty

71 Toots Hibbert

70 Gregg Allman

69 Ronnie Spector

68 Wilson Pickett

67 Jerry Lee Lewis

66 Thom Yorke

65 David Ruffin

64 Axl Rose

63 Dion

62 Lou Reed

61 Roger Daltrey

60 Björk

59 Rod Stewart

58 Christina Aguilera

57 Eric Bourdon

56 Mavis Staples

55 Paul Rodgers

54 Luther Vandross

53 Muddy Waters

52 Brian Wilson

51 Gladys Knight

50 Bonnie Raitt

49 Donny Hathaway

48 Buddy Holly

47 Jim Morrison

46 Patsy Cline

45 Kurt Cobain

44 Bobby "Blue" Bland

43 George Jones

42 Joni Mitchell

41 Chuck Berry

40 Curtis Mayfield

39 Jeff Buckley

38 Elton John

37 Neil Young

36 Bruce Springsteen

35 Dusty Sprinfield

34 Whitney Houston

33 Steve Winwood

32 Bono

31 Howlin' Wolf

30 Prince

29 Nina Simone

28 Janis Joplin

27 Hank Williams

26 Jackie Wilson

25 Michael Jackson

24 Van Morrison

23 David Bowie

22 Etta James

21 Johnny Cash

20 Smokey Robinson

19 Bob Marley

18 Freddie Mercury

17 Tina Turner

16 Mick Jagger

15 Robert Plant

14 Al Green

13 Roy Orbison

12 Little Richard

11 Paul McCartney

10 James Brown

09 Stevie Wonder

08 Otis Redding

07 Bob Dylan

06 Marvin Gaye

05 John Lennon

04 Sam Cooke

03 Elvis Presley

02 Ray Charles

01 Aretha Franklin

____

Out of interest, did you see Aguilera's performance of "It's a mans mans mans world" last year at the Grammys?

...just....

Elvis Presley 3rd?

That just proves the lack of credibility that list has. Elvis is the most overrated thing EVAR! :shakehead

QFT! I'm not sure if I agree with the list, also it's to do with singing ability? but what if I look at the list and think meh.. that person can't sing >> it's entirely subjective surely and therefore pretty much meaningless, unless you agree with it. :heh:

Completely left field change but I came up with, what I feel is, a great idea.

Have to give two ten minute presentations in the coming weeks so I'm going to take my ipod up to the front with me and put Daft Punk's 'Too Long' (which is exactly 10 minutes long) on (without any headphones obviously) to time myself.

Brilliant idea methinks! Also brilliant song too of course.

Heard this playing in the common room today, and remembered how freaking fantastic it (and the video to an extent) is.

Lol that's hardly a hidden gem that has been forgotten for years. It's her most well-known song.

I hear that song "The First Time" every day in my common room, as two guys have to perform their (admitedly funny and scarily well-choreographed) dance routine to it.

It's that dancey one.. "For the very first TIIIIIIIME!"

In other news, my iTunes isn't respomnding, the machines are taking over. It's just playing what it wants, and I can't even quit it. Feels funny though, remembering I have Shania Twain's albums.

I have always loved.

Considering she's a really mainstream artist, I clap at the video.

You'll be pleased to know then that in Boyzone's new video, they're giving Stephen Gately a male love interest.

*shudders at the mention of Boyzone in general*

You'll be pleased to know then that in Boyzone's new video, they're giving Stephen Gately a male love interest.

*shudders at the mention of Boyzone in general*

I've seen it (a few minutes ago actually) and moving past the fact it's a) a terrible song and b) Boyzone, it's rather nice to see them do something like that in a mainstream pop video.

Out of interest, did you see Aguilera's performance of "It's a mans mans mans world" last year at the Grammys?

...just....

Can't get over how amazing this is still :heart:

I think the best Aguilera performance I've seen is her one at the MTV Movie Awards performing Ain't No Other Man. She sounds freaking amazing. I mean, better than the CD, if that's even possible.

I love that performance :D Love the start aswell, with just the dancers and stuff ^_^

Oh how I'm missing that era :weep:

Haggis, Coolness, Triforce..whoever...

Previews of all of Circus by Britney Spears are now up.

Not that interested, tbh. Might obtain it if i'm in the mood for poppy stuff, but yeah.

You :heart:

I'm loving (sexual love, it's that awesome) "If You Seek Amy" - "All the boys, all the girls wanna If You Seek Amy (F-U-C-K ME)". Best "hidden" meaning to a song ever!

Some others like "Circus (next single)", "Kill The Lights", "Mmm Papi", "Mannequin" and "Lace an Leather" sound rather good too.

The rest don't grab me at the moment. Plus, I've never liked slow Britney songs.