NEurope

I wouldn't think that the Monkey represents the music industry (unless she's said this?). She's been with Drag City (I think) for ages, and they've always taken very good care of her, and she's managed to gain a modicum of success without doing anything she didn't want to, and seems to have had loads of support the entire way.

Unless she's said otherwise and I don't know.

It's one of her most "literal" songs, in that what is there is what's going-on. Obviously it paralells a human relationship, but it doesn't have to.

She and Tori battle for my heart.

Joanna is "better". But then she's not had 20 years to "get worse" a bit like Tori has. And they're pretty different, Tori is almost the opposite of Joanna; far more quickly-written/improv stuff, and performed much more raw and viscerally (in her heyday).

Been listening to quite a bit of Biffy Clyro lately. Had listened to a little bit of their stuff before (mostly stuff from the album Puzzles) and I liked it but I guess I just moved onto other music. Anyway, been listening to some of Only Revolutions and I'm really enjoying it. This song in particular has become a quick favourite:

I think Coolness posted it previously, but I absolutely love.

I thought Breakout was a pretty solid album, especially Driveway. So I'm looking forward to this being released. I absolutely love her voice, and the blatantly obvious "I'm trying to be like early naughties Britney" album cover.

68633o.jpg

--

Katy Perry's new single "California Gurls Feat. Snoop Dog". Horrifyingly summery. "E.T (Futuristic Lover) has also leaked online too, which sounds epic electro-rock ballad-y.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio
Edited by Slaggis

I love CocoRosie's new album. :D I'm so pleased. I was fearful it would fall into "Oh this is really interesting but kinda unengaging" like some of their stuff, or maybe too straightfoward, like some of their last album was. But it's lovely.

I love the breakdown/breakup/bit where it goes stunning. Other stunners off the top of my head are Here I Come!, Fairy Paradise and Undertaker.

I am in love.

I always love pendulum's stuff, always. This is no exception, now gimme more pendulum. MOAR!

@ Nightwolf - Oh I like. Have been meaning to give Pendulum a proper listen as they keep turning up when I'm looking for music. But yeh, like that song.

Have been listening to various stuff lately, Halestorm, Emilie Autumn, Death Cab for Cutie, Dommin, Lostprophets to name a few. Decided to have a look at Motion City Soundtrack for some reason and one of the first songs is something I've heard so many times but never known who wrote/played it or what it was called so was very nice to finally find that out.

Also listening to a bit of the stuff off of Slash's solo album, Slash. Was going to buy it earlier but didn't. Don't know why as Slash is great. Anyway, this is the first song I listened to from the album and I really like it:

Loads of collaborations with big artists on the album which is nice to see and it's pretty good from what I've heard so far. Edit: the collaboration with Ozzy, Crucify the Dead, is so bloody good.

Edited by Ganepark32

Pendulum are definitely something I love, especially after seeing them live last year.

Razz that song is great, I've heard of 16 bit before when I first started mooching around for dubstep but never really gave it all a listen.

Pendulum are definitely something I love, especially after seeing them live last year.

Razz that song is great, I've heard of 16 bit before when I first started mooching around for dubstep but never really gave it all a listen.

It's a Joanna Newsom remix (effectively). with a dubstep beat.

I like 16bit's one more than I'd expect to, only heard it a few months back too.

Dubstep that I like.

That's fucking wicked

Edit. Turn out so's the rest of the EP

Broadcast Yourself
Audio
Edited by dan-likes-trees

It seems Diana Vickers has covered Hit by The Sugarcubes (Bjork's big band before she went solo) on her album.

It's an...interesting choice. But Bjork she is not. And no matter what you feel about Bjork, she has a phenomonal range and control to her voice, which Diana breathing and gasping doesn't emulate. It's really bad in comparison. I'm all for making covers your own, but considering that hook in the original is there for the plucking, why not make more of it?

That cover really is awful, but the original, which I had never heard, is great :)

Just heard the theme to LBP2. Sounds pretty cool, and the actual artist's video is pretty unique and feels very fitting with the game.

I like.

My God, do you live under a rock...in a cave...on the Moon?

I actually haven't heard the song. I don't go out of my way to listen to music in all honesty, and must've somehow not bumped into this.

When it comes to media, I just wish there was a list that would be made more me, stating which books, films and music would make me tick... the most. You know, so I don't have to waste time finding it myself.

No such thing exists though, because opinions differ, and personal opinions differ over time, plus I have a massively varied taste so knowing what I like best is an impossible finding.

It was like, the song of last summer, but nevermind.

I am a big fan of coming across song that everyone else seems to have heard a million times before. I think I must have not listened to any music until i was about 16

In other news, I think a new KNEE spotify playlist is in order now that it tells you who's added what.

Add it. Listen to it. Add to it. Discuss it. Love it.

spotify:user:dan-lol-trees:playlist:3sLtSa1C04zL2gw0nUBnS3

Edited by dan-likes-trees

I publicly apologise for not coming across the song. If only I could cleanse myself from my sins.

Added some songs I'm liking atm.

I've converted everyone I know to Royal T by Crookers and Roisin Murphy.

I added my three to the playlist; Grey Gardens by Rufus Wainwright (just the one I'm feeling at the moment), I Speak Because I Can by Laura Marling and Girl VII by Saint Etienne.

I'm being stunned by Waves BTW Daft.

----

This is a good'un chaps. Every song so far has added something.

What the hell, someone just added An Ending (Ascent) by Brian Eno. I was just thinking that the damn playlist could use some ambiance in the form of The Big Ship or Sombre Reptiles, but An Ending is a good call too.

Eerie though.

From Pitchfork;

Like M.I.A., Joanna Newsom isn't buying into the Lady Gaga hype. In a recent article in The Guardian, the indie singer-songwriter-harpist had some choice words for the world's most fashion-forward pop star: "I'm mystified by the laziness of people looking at how she presents herself, and somehow assuming that implies there's a high level of intelligence in the songwriting. Her approach to image is really interesting, but you listen to the music, and you just hear glow sticks. Smart outlets for musical journalism give her all this credit, like she's the new Madonna [...] Although I'm coming from a perspective of also thinking Madonna is not great at all. I'm like, fair enough: she is the new Madonna, but Madonna's a dumb-ass!" Who knew Newsom had that kind of venom inside of her?! Not even Joanna herself, apparently, because she quickly realized the quote was a bit much, and later sent an e-mail to The Guardian clarifying-- though not taking back-- her statement: "I may have contradicted myself. My problem isn't actually with Lady Gaga. But there's not much in her music to distinguish it from other glossy, formulaic pop. She just happens to wear slightly weirder outfits than Britney Spears. But they're not that weird-- they're mostly just skimpy. She's fully marketing her body/sexuality; she's just doing it while wearing, like, a 'fierce' telephone hair-hat. Her sexuality has no scuzziness, no frank raunchiness, in the way that, say, Peaches, or even Grace Jones, have-- she's Arty Spice! And, meanwhile, she seems to take herself so oddly seriously, the way she talks about her music in the third person, like she's Brecht or something. She just makes me miss Cyndi Lauper. [...] I shouldn't have called Madonna a dumb-ass. Her music and she have just gotten so boring to me, this last decade. I think maybe she doesn't hold her money very gracefully, the way some people can't hold their drink. But one thing she is surely not is dumb." Strong words. You could argue that Gaga's success in making people like M.I.A. and Joanna Newsom hopped up enough to consider the idea of art and talk out of turn in interviews basically fulfills her purpose. She's a provocateur, and it seems to be working.

Yeah because before Gaga came onto the scene MIA was a quiet nicely spoken girl?

I agree with Newsom. Gaga is just mediocre pop hiding behind glitter.

Her approach to image is really interesting, but you listen to the music, and you just hear glow sticks.

I am in love.