NEurope

I got my brother The XX- The XX for Christmas. Blasting it through the 'main' Hi-Fi in the front room (instead of Spotify) transformed it from a great album to the single most intense emotional and sensual sound of the year. An argument unto itself for the continued purchase of Actual Records from Actual Shops. Album of 09 contender.

I'm listening to it now. The Intro was pretty sublime in itself, I'll let you know about the rest :p

Jesus Christ, I have just melted. What a beautiful album.

Edited by Molly

Dad music? Fleetwood Mac, The Chain.

I got my Dad the Fleetwood Mac Greatest Hits album for Christmas. True story.

My friend updated her status with some lyrics from that song and I said "sounds familiar, Imogen Heap isn't it?" "no" "oh what is it?" "Jason Derulo" *googles* "Jason Derulo FEATURING Imogen Heap." Kids these days.

To be fair to the guy, he does mix well, and kudos on taking pretty much the most sensual part of anything Imogen Heap has ever done (and thats saying something), and basically putting it on repeat, interluding it with enough boredom that you're practically rearing for her voice by the time it comes back.

That's just one way of looking at it though :heh:

I've listened to The XX twice in full, on Spotify, and it left me with nothing real. I'm sure I'm missing an essential point. It was one long middling song to me, no high points, no low points, just meh.

But then as I'm sure I've mentioned, I'm allergic to Spotify cause I don't own the music. I feel that it taints all I listen to from there. I need to spend some time with the album...I dunno. I expected to be more blown away, but I guess it's more low-key.

Well, teebs, if you're looking for grandeur you should look elsewhere. A lot of the songs are fairly minimalistic, but thats from where their beauty derives. Its the sound of doped up playful serenity. The layers are subtle and suggestive, not overt.

That said...it wasn't a grower, it hit me immediately...so I guess you just ain't into it.

I don't believe I don't like it though. I know there's diamonds hidden somewhere for me to find.

--

Horrible lack of bass in the YT version, but such a great one.

Good call Danimal. The XX is fucking great =D.

You knows it

Anyone a fan of Chris Clark?

Clark is ace. oh yes.

Anyone a fan of Chris Clark?

Yes! =D

Got the album that is from (Totem Flares) for christmas and then downloaded Turning Dragon with an iTunes voucher. Not too keen on his latest work, I think he has done considerably better, but it's still a very nice listen.

I just heard 50 Cents new song 'Baby By Me'.

Oh dear, easily the worst song I've heard this year and possibly this decade. Shit it's so bad it makes even N-Dubz sound good :/

Well, teebs, if you're looking for grandeur you should look elsewhere. A lot of the songs are fairly minimalistic, but thats from where their beauty derives. Its the sound of doped up playful serenity. The layers are subtle and suggestive, not overt.

That said...it wasn't a grower, it hit me immediately...so I guess you just ain't into it.

Yeah I had a pretty intense reaction straight away.

Highlights on first listen were Heart Skipped a Beat, seemed like a song describing the story of my life. Also Shelter was gorgeous. It's all mesmerising though.

Yeah I had a pretty intense reaction straight away.

Highlights on first listen were Heart Skipped a Beat, seemed like a song describing the story of my life. Also Shelter was gorgeous. It's all mesmerising though.

Glad you liked it :)

DJ Earworm is really good actually.

I have "I Like The Way Jenny Scrubs" on my iPod, which is that Bodyrockers song, J.Lo and TLC mixed up.

Been listening to Dragonforce epically over the last few days. Haven't heard them in ages but they've got a song on the soundtrack of NHL 10 and it's been on constantly, as well as others.

Got Rihanna's "Rated R" and Alicia Keys' "The Element Of Freedom"for christmas and...

Rated R

I wasn't expecting to like this much, after all of the bad things I had been hearing, and that she had gone in a totally differant direction, I was skeptical...

But wowowow, I was totally surprised, from the minute I played it, the opening track "Madhouse" is an intro, it sets the tone for the rest of the album, dark, beaty, bassy, mid-tempo.

It's quite clear that she is a lot angrier in this album, and it's clear she wanted to set a certain theme on it. And it works really well.

"Hard" is one of the...well...hardest hitting tracks on here, she is strong on here and the song emmits a powerful dark heavy aura.

My favourite track from the album is "Firebomb", one of the more interesting tracks on the album, with a piano playing, and also an electric guitar, she sings "I just wanna set you on fire so I won't have to burn alone".

"Te Amo" has beautiful music behind it, with bongo drums, she sings "She said Te Amo, then she put her arms around me waist".

"Photographs" has a dreamy, mellow sound to it. It's a song I had to listen to quite a few times to like, but now it's great to chill out too.

"Stupid In Love" + "Cold Case Love" are two....well...boring...very slow songs. I usually skip these.

All in all it's a brilliant album, and it's a welcome change. Yay for Rihanna:)

8/10

Will review The Element Of Freedom tomorrow, I need sleep :/

Got Rihanna's "Rated R" and Alicia Keys' "The Element Of Freedom"for christmas and...

Rated R

I wasn't expecting to like this much, after all of the bad things I had been hearing, and that she had gone in a totally differant direction, I was skeptical...

But wowowow, I was totally surprised, from the minute I played it, the opening track "Madhouse" is an intro, it sets the tone for the rest of the album, dark, beaty, bassy, mid-tempo.

It's quite clear that she is a lot angrier in this album, and it's clear she wanted to set a certain theme on it. And it works really well.

"Hard" is one of the...well...hardest hitting tracks on here, she is strong on here and the song emmits a powerful dark heavy aura.

My favourite track from the album is "Firebomb", one of the more interesting tracks on the album, with a piano playing, and also an electric guitar, she sings "I just wanna set you on fire so I won't have to burn alone".

"Te Amo" has beautiful music behind it, with bongo drums, she sings "She said Te Amo, then she put her arms around me waist".

"Photographs" has a dreamy, mellow sound to it. It's a song I had to listen to quite a few times to like, but now it's great to chill out too.

"Stupid In Love" + "Cold Case Love" are two....well...boring...very slow songs. I usually skip these.

All in all it's a brilliant album, and it's a welcome change. Yay for Rihanna:)

8/10

Will review The Element Of Freedom tomorrow, I need sleep :/

Element of Freedom is absolutely fantastic I'm sure you'll like it. I feel in love with Love Is Blind the moment I heard it and the rest of the album is just gorgeous. She is totally my new crush...

Loldear.

Biggest Selling Albums of the Last Decade in the UK

1. James Blunt - Back To Bedlam

2. Dido - No Angel

3. Amy Winehouse - Back to Black

4. Leona Lewis - Spirit

5. David Gray - White Ladder

In other news was playing Tap Tap Revenge 3 earlier and quite like Owl City. Reminds me a bit of Postal Service/Notwist that kind of stuff.

Owl City - Fireflies

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

In other other news

Kings of Leon have revealed that they have become tired of their single 'Use Somebody'.

However, despite the song's subsequent success, bassist Jared claimed that he has heard it so much he now dislikes it. "Before it was on the radio every five seconds, I thought 'Use Somebody' was a good song, but it's hard to f***kin' like it when you hear it 90 times a day," he said.

Agreed. Along with Sex on Fire.

Owl City is vomitous.

A shit Postal Service from a saccharine land of shite voices.

A filthy, filthy song.

I knew I'd seen someone slag them off on facebook, presume it was you.

I'm not saying they're a great band just decent background music. Harmless in a way.