NEurope

I've gone off Muse. Used to dig but nowadays I never listen to them.

Winds of change, I suppose. Everyone has a Muse phase :heh:

^ guess I'm the exception to that. I hate Muse!

and nice reference to a Scorpions' song although I'm not sure if it was intentional or not. Love that song.

Need help!

As part of my dissertation I need to look at the origins of the bands featured in these soundtracks. While I have just used Wikipedia I need a (reasonably) credible source. I tried NME but they come up nothing with a few bands. So does anyone know any music websites which have band biographies? (tried Pitchfork too but they don't).

I could just reference each artists' own webpage but that'll make my bibliography absurdly and artifically huge.

Thanks.

^ guess I'm the exception to that. I hate Muse!

and nice reference to a Scorpions' song although I'm not sure if it was intentional or not. Love that song.

I'm much the same. Appreciate them, just can't stand Bellamy's singing.

Need help!

As part of my dissertation I need to look at the origins of the bands featured in these soundtracks. While I have just used Wikipedia I need a (reasonably) credible source. I tried NME but they come up nothing with a few bands. So does anyone know any music websites which have band biographies? (tried Pitchfork too but they don't).

I could just reference each artists' own webpage but that'll make my bibliography absurdly and artifically huge.

Thanks.

Depends who it is...Spotify has a "bio" tab for it's artists.

Recently I have acquired:

Made In The Dark - Hot Chip

Dummy - Portishead

Crystal Castles

Anybody got any favourite tracks from these albums?

Depends who it is...Spotify has a "bio" tab for it's artists.

Everyone on here and here.

NME fell short on The Virgins and I just started using Wikipedia after that.

If nobody can think of one I'll just check with my support person if I can just do every band's website.

A thread about live acts could exist. However this is not that thread, this is just your opinion with nothing much else. Once you've seen all the bands in the world live you can come back and make this thread.
If anything posting about live music in here might help open up this thread.

A thread about live acts could exist. However this is not that thread, this is just your opinion with nothing much else. Once you've seen all the bands in the world live you can come back and make this thread.

Well what I meant is people could discuss who they've seen live, who they liked, who they'd like to see etc etc.

I feel in here it may fall into the same biggoted pits as the rest but we'll see.

(and personally I've not seen many bands live so I can't say much about it...in fact to the best of my memory I've seen Porcupine Tree (I think...) and Motion City Soundtrack).

Recently I have acquired:

Made In The Dark - Hot Chip

Dummy - Portishead

Crystal Castles

Anybody got any favourite tracks from these albums?

I really like the first three from MitD, Touch Too Much....and others. Most of it basically.

And im trying to analyse Crystal Castles vs Health - Crimewave at the moment (lyrics wise)...any help? :p They're pretty random.

Sigur Ros are the best band I've ever seen live.

Bjork, Santogold, Alanis Morissette, Crystal Castles, Justice and Rolo Tomassi were all really good too.

Gwen Stefani defied expectations aswell, since she made most of her shite songs off The Sweet Escape into fun.

Most disappointing live were Tegan and Sara, since they came on late, rushed their songs, and didn't talk to the crowd (when they're famous for having lovely banter).

The best i've ever seen was probably Bruce Springsteen. The guy is pure entertainment, always put's on a top show. Other notable shows were REM, Rolling Stones and OneRepublic.

agreed spenno..cant wait to see prodigy again at download fest

close 2nd is metallica and then iron maiden for me

Was gunna give Metallica a mention as well, not really a fan but i've seen them twice now at Reading and they were great.

The Prodigy were immense last time I saw them at Download and a few years before that at Reading.

How about worst bands ever seen?

For me Guns & Roses and Angels and Airwaves need a mention here, both terrible.

I love you guy's definition of good live acts. Prodigy? lol

Anywho, best live acts I've seen? Lightning Bolt, SunnO))) & Sigur Rós.

Wooo I got Yeah yeah yeahs tickets. What a nightmare trying to get some. Ended up getting 2 for the sunday at shepherds bush level 1 standing/seating unreserved....wanted stalls standing but they sold out mega quick.

Cannot wait to go see them, haven't been to see them since 2006.

In other news I saw the Cure on thursday night at the O2. It was epic, Loved it so much. Crowd was a good mix of oldies re-living their youth and youngsters possibly hearing a lot of Cure material for the first time. They were amazing.

Franz Ferdinand supported who were as good as always along with White Lies and Crystal Castles. I like Crystal Castles album but live god dam she sounded like a japanese girl trying to do kareoke but failing badly. A lot of the crowd who bearing in mind were cure fans were like what the fuck is this. But me and the missus still enjoyed their set.

ooo ooo and last sunday I saw Glasvegas who were pretty good. Florence and Machine who were supporting were amazing, She has such a great voice. Friendly Fires and White Lies were good too.

And on finishing this post I'm glad Astoria won best venue at the NME awards. Such a shame it's getting knocked down. Best venue in London by far.

Best live act I've seen was the Foo Fighters. Absolutely insane concert. About 7,000 people crammed into one of the halls at the SECC in Glasgow and it was brilliant. Concert went on for 4 hours, half of which the Foos played while the two supporting bands, Brady Cole and Serj Tankian, took up about an hour and 15 and were both good as well.

I'm a big fan of the intimate concert. Last one I was at that was like that was seeing HIM play at the Barrowlands, which is a god awful concert hall because the acoustics were all wrong but the band still sounded great. Not a tiny place but small in comparison to some of the other concert halls I've been to and it was great.

Bloc Party are by far my favourite live band ever. Seen them in big venues and tiny small intimate gigs. Will be seeing them for the 10th time in April. I could go watch them every week. Pure class.

Tv on the radio are amazing live too. Would recommend you all go see them if you get the chance.

Although i'm friends with the bassist, Joy Rides are one of the best live bands I've seen for a while. PENS, Foot Village, Mika Miko, Lucky Dragons, Harmonia and Black Dice were probably the best I saw last year.

Over the next few months I'll be seeing some bands I've wanted to see for years, Devo, Throbbing Gristle, The Jesus Lizard and Young Marble Giants. I really want to see Kraftwerk but I don't want to shell out for a ticket to Bestival, as outdoor festivals appall me. Hopefully ATP can convince them to play a Don't Look Back show, but there'll at least be London dates which I will have to go to.

The five best live bands I've seen would probably be:

Coachwhips

Foot Village

Electrelane

Wolf Eyes

Shellac

And I obviously have to mention The Fall, because they're consistently brilliant.

Listening to new Lamb of God album. Sounds more like Sacrament than anything else. Seems like a fairly enjoyable slice of modern metal, although there's nothing so far that seems to stand out to me particularly. Probably give this a once over and move on. The problem is that there really are promising parts in almost every song, but repetition and lack of anything truly surpising just makes it a bit dull.

Favourite live acts? Sunn O))), Mastodon, My Bloody Valentine, Opeth, Nile. Justice were fucking awesome too.

To be fair, I haven't seen very many live bands due to incredible lazyness.