NEurope

Best live act I've seen was the Foo Fighters. Absolutely insane concert. About 7,000 people crammed into one of the halls at the SECC in Glasgow and it was brilliant. Concert went on for 4 hours, half of which the Foos played while the two supporting bands, Brady Cole and Serj Tankian, took up about an hour and 15 and were both good as well.

I'm a big fan of the intimate concert. Last one I was at that was like that was seeing HIM play at the Barrowlands, which is a god awful concert hall because the acoustics were all wrong but the band still sounded great. Not a tiny place but small in comparison to some of the other concert halls I've been to and it was great.

if HIM sounded shite at the Barrowlands then that was nothing to do with the venue, seen enough bands there to know that. The SECC is the worst for crap acoustics.

Oh and I'd say the Barrowlands is too big to be called intimate :)

intimate = King Tuts or ABC2 or the Garage at the most ;)

I hate this thread quite a lot of the time. I like the odd track mentioned, but in general it tends to be full of tripe, 1D songs that will be forgotten by all by the time we reach the age where music starts to make sense.

Who are you talking to?

Best live acts for me, in no particular order would be:

Marduk

Watain

Eluveitie

Morbid Angel

Iron Maiden

Primordial

Honourable mentions go to Rammstein for the great stage show despite being otherwise quite boring, and to Shining, who would have been awesome if the vocalist wasn't such a prick.

Best live band I've seen? Get back to me on Monday.

Rise Against tomorrow night :D

My friend saw them last night and said they were disappointing. Hope either they they turn it around for you, or you have low standards! :P

Oh yeah, The Gossip were really good. I only caught the final song, Standing In The Way Of Control (the one you want to hear), and I was so drunk that I forgot to look at the stage, I was dancing so hard.

But yeah, it was a lovely experience.

Well I was told Radiohead were disappointing 2 nights before I went to see them aswell and they were amazing. Depends alot on the crowd aswell as the band.

Sigur Ros and Bjork, as already mentioned. They get it right...the music on the recording is important, but it's the live music that REALLY counts. And they bring it.

All hail Iceland.

No. It really isn't. OOS is brilliant. Absolution is quite good, but nowhere near OOS. BHAR is just plain bad. Showbiz is a bit good, just like Absolution. Hullabaloo isn't an album, it's a B-side compilation.

Agreed but BHAR is far from terrible but each to their own, the earlier Muse albums are definitely the most interesting out of them though, but I can still find something to love about each album, the thing posted about their latest album in production sounding similar to Origin of Symmetry is promising, even if they probably won't match it, but I would love to be proved wrong.

Either way I still can't wait for it. :)

Pearl Jam, Radiohead and The Pixies are the best bands I've seen live. So much atmosphere, they were all brilliant. Played fantastic sets (Radiohead even played Creep which they hardly ever do live) and just looked as though they were enjoying it as much as the crowd.

Recently I have acquired:

Made In The Dark - Hot Chip

Dummy - Portishead

Crystal Castles

Anybody got any favourite tracks from these albums?

From the former, Im a fan of the first two (Out at the Pictures, Shake a Fist), and the rest of it's all pretty good... not to teh standard of The Warning though.

And of Crystal Castles... pretty much fucking love all of that album. I guess standouts would be Black Panther, Untrust Us, and i rather love Love and Caring as well.

Best live bands... haven't got a great many to chose from

Rage Against the Machine

Biffy Clyro

Asobi Seksu

Streetlight Manifesto

Reel Big Fish

Does it Offend You, Yeah??

Justice

Gorgol Bordello

Letdowns:

CSS

Franz Ferdinand

Dirty Pretty Things

My favourite band live is Justice! :grin:

Firstly because it is the only one I've seen live! :p but also because it was awesome and the day I officially rubbed bums with a 40 year old man..not so cool. >__>

Though at the time I declared it to everyone! :)

Also haha Dan everyone has a Muse phase. :p That made me laugh for some reason.

In some ways so true. One of the first Bands I listened to solidly for ages and ages. (along with Paramore) when I was first getting into listening to music.

They have 716 plays on my Last.fm and I listen to them not too much now. I might start up again! I do really like them.

My favourite is OOT but I do also like BHAR. I did listen to BHAR first and so that was my first taste of Muse. I also love Knights of Cydonia. I got very addicted to that song. :heart:

Holy shit, Crack the Skye has some pure gold moments. Listening to "The Czar" atm.

Been listening to My Bipolar Friend by Johnny Foreigner all day. Can't get it out of my head. Soooooooooo good and such a refreshing take on the whole female fronted band.

Thank you good sir, thank you for making me listen to these again by mentioning them.

Not exactly a female fronted band though are they?

Indie sucks. Hurrah, I win. End of discussion. Lock thread.

I thought i ws the only one to hate indy, i think its bloody dreadful.

Im into hip hop and dance and cannot wait for the new Busta Rhymes album to come out.

Ah my old nuggets of wisdom.

Anyway, new Mastodon album. Verdict = Atmospheric, musically inspiring, fan-fucking-tastic. I prefer it to Blood Mountain. Not sure where it stands among the oldies, but it's more than worthwhile on its own merit.

Ps. I am prone to hyperbole.

Im into hip hop and dance and cannot wait for the new Busta Rhymes album to come out.

I do wonder what you actually think indie is?

I do wonder what you actually think indie is?

I think he's generally referring to the aural plague perpetuated by bands like The Killers, Kaiser Chiefs, Libertines, Razorlight etc.

New Mastodon has leaked. Listening now.

Really? *goes and checks* I fucking love you!

I think he's generally referring to the aural plague perpetuated by bands like The Killers, Kaiser Chiefs, Libertines, Razorlight etc.

Yup. And everyone who doesn't hate THAT is probably retarded (there goes 75% of my audience). But... let's not be hasty, Indie is quite literally one of the best things ever, once one gets to really know what "indie" really is. (as opposed to the processed poop you just refered to). Besides... "he" is worst than all the "indie" lovers he so passionately claims to hate, because:

Now, either the man's a genious with quite a fantastic sense of humour, or he's serious. I'm betting on the latter, which, therefore, renders him judgementally neutered, because the man clearly has no standing in the field of culture.

@ GothicPlague - Well when you hear them they don't sound like it but apparently they are classed as such. But singing occurs from both female and male band members. Still awesome though. That song is great.

And I obviously have to mention The Fall, because they're consistently brilliant.

Very much agreed. I reckon the best gigs (at least the most memorable at the moment) I've been to were Radiohead in Wolverhampton, just ace in a small venue, Pixies in sweat drenched Spain, Pogues, Portishead and Malcolm Middleton in a tiny venue in Birmingham. The thing is though I do think a lot does have to with whether the band is enjoying themselves and the audience you are with. I mean nothing beats being hugged by a massive irish biker with "unrepentant fenian bastard" on the back of his leather jacket during Streams of Whiskey.

People should go listen to Exile In Guyville by Liz Phair if they want to hear good indie.

Why have I fallen in love with Yeasayer?

Cannot stop listening to "Poker Face" at the moment. The beat is utterly orgasmic, even my mum can't stop humming it. I had it playing, and (bless her :p) she starting singing Just dance and attempted dancing. It was...a special sight.

It's been in the charts since the album was released (hanging around in the top 25 since mid January) and now it's at number 6, with no phsyical relased until March 30th.

Also, "Eh Eh", though I really disliked it at first, It's gradually becoming one of my favourite songs of hers.

--

It looks as though Kelly Clarksons going to have her first UK Number 1, with "My Life Would Suck Without You" this week, with Taylor Swift (Haaate this song) "Love Story" at number 2.