NEurope

Placebo at Angkor Wat - December 7th '08

A nice little clip of a new version of Twenty Years, reworked especially for th MTV Exit gig. A nice little preview of their new album I reckon, some interesting sounds in there.

Top ten you say.

Well, and this includes albums because I don't keep track of whats a single and whats not,

11 - Angles - Dan le sac vs Scroobius Pip

10 - Weird Science - Does it Offend You, Yeah?

9 - Galaxy of the Lost - Lightspeed Champion

8 - Out at the Pictures - Hot Chip

7 - After Sunset - Styrofoam

6 - LES Artistes - Santogold

5 - Ares - Bloc Party

4 - Paper Planes - M.I.A.

3 - Dancing Choose - TV on the Radio

2 - Black Panther - Crystal Castles

1 - Kids - MGMT

Predictable number one but hey, album of the year imo, even if they have become stupidly and annoyingly overplayed

A lovely list.

I keep meaning to get Vampire Weekend and Fleet Foxes...they're on my "To-Get) list, with Bon Iver.

One of my favourite bands of the year. Self titled album is great; Your Protector is probably my favourite song on it, although they all gel so well. Also check out their Sun Giant (EP), that's great too - Mykonos is amazing.

My List...

10 - Guillemots - Cockateels

9 - Kings of Leon - Use Somebody

8 - Kanye West - Welcome to Heartbreak

7 - Interpol - Mammoth

6 - Keane - Perfect Symmetry

5 - Silversun Pickups - Lazy Eye

4 - The Killers - Spaceman

3 - Snow Patrol - Disaster Button

2 - Foo Fighters - The Pretender

1 - MGMT - Kids

Predictable list? I care not... this is what I like :smile: next years list might be quite different though as I plan to be more open in what I listen to, I've seen a few artists posted in here that I may well check out but for now, the aforementioned list is based on what I've listened to a lot of and enjoyed this year. :)

The producer behind Girls Aloud (Xenomania) is utterly brilliant. I've just been going through all the albums I have of theirs track and track and at least half of it is Pop at it's best. Whoever fobs them off with the whole "Nah, girls aloud? They suck" attitude really knows nothing.

Plus, after watching some Youtube videos, I had no clue they sing as well live as they do. I thought Sarah and Nicole were Abysmal - but I've been proven completely wrong.

Another converted! Girls Aloud are fantastic, responsible for some of the best pop songs of the last decade.

Girls Aloud are one of the best mainstream/chart pop band of the last 5 or however many years they've been around.

Songs like The Show, Sexy! No No No..., Biology etc are just great.

I'm not sure I like Xenomania that much, Tangled Up as an album is a bit too much of the same sound, and I'm not too inclined to get their new one based on clips I've heard (and being sick of The Promise).

Sugababes used to be better/more credible than them.

----

Also, any other iTunes users use the Genius feature?

I only just got it running due to only just now having an iTunes store account, but it's awesome!

When you play a track, you can click the little genius button in the bottom right, and iTunes conjures up an instant playlist based on similar tracks/bands! Really good if you're in a certain mood!

I started with Sexy Boy by Air, and the playlist it made has got stuff by Justice, Ladytron, Emilie Simon, Sia, Portishead, Moby...a mix, but they all work.

Get the new album. I didn't like it as much at first, but I've warmed to it. I'm also sick of the Promise now - but some of the new album is fantastic. Don't trust little clips, you need to hear it in full.

Sugababes? Ah. They are utterly boring now. None of them seem to have any personality and the whole "We're so glad we moved away from electro-pop to a more 'mature' sound" bollocks makes me want to implode. Then going and saying "Oh, we're so much more successful than GA" and having their album flop (and blaming it on their label) and GA going to number one is Karma's way of saying get the fuck out of my kitchen.

I loved "Freak Like Me", "Destination" etc. When I was younger I adored "Angels with dirty faces".

Also, any other iTunes users use the Genius feature?

I only just got it running due to only just now having an iTunes store account, but it's awesome!

When you play a track, you can click the little genius button in the bottom right, and iTunes conjures up an instant playlist based on similar tracks/bands! Really good if you're in a certain mood!

I started with Sexy Boy by Air, and the playlist it made has got stuff by Justice, Ladytron, Emilie Simon, Sia, Portishead, Moby...a mix, but they all work.

I keep meaning to make use of this feature, ever since I got my Itunes account. I'm going to do it NOW!

Get the new album. I didn't like it as much at first, but I've warmed to it. I'm also sick of the Promise now - but some of the new album is fantastic. Don't trust little clips, you need to hear it in full.

I'm still loving The Promise but it hasn't been over played for me yet! and I didn't really listen to it before I got Out of Control. My favourite song on Out of Control is Love is the Key. I think it is a great song. :D

Do you like the new video for the Loving Kind? :)

Also Seeing Lady Gaga on my TV yesterday made me happy! : peace:

Beyonce is the best pop artist of the noughties.

Show me a Girls Aloud video as good as the video for Single Ladies, then you can begin to argue with me.

video? who gives a shit? Biology is the best pop single of the decade.

The video to Single Ladies amplifies the song about 700%.

I've just listened to Biology, now I'm listening to Crazy In Love, and I know which one I prefer.

Biology takes far too long to get to the (not remarkably good) chorus.

And Beyonce can actually dance.

ANYWAY:

The fact of the matter is that I Get Around by Dragonette is my favourite pop song ever.

Dragonette should have been huge, but they just didn't seem to get off the ground for some reason. Their album Galore, is awesome (for a pop album anyway).

"The Show" is my fave Girls Aloud song.

Also I LOVE the "Single Ladies" video <3 So simple yet so powerful.

Loving Beyonce's "I am..." at the moment, the extra songs on the Deluxe edition are well worth it, "Ego" is one of my favourites from the album.

Dunno If I prefer the Beyonce half of the album or the Sasha Fierce half....

Biology is so much better than Crazy In Love (However much I enjoy Crazy in love on drunken nights out).

Even though it's not their best, Something Kinda Ooh is probably my favourite girls aloud song. I just love how energetic the whole performance of it is/over the top. It's also an utterly ridiculous song, which makes it even better.

Also, Cherly Cole :heart:

Call The Shots is also rather brilliant.

The Sasha Fierce half is much worse than I am...

Single Ladies is the only really good song on disc 2.

What?

Meh, I think they are fantastic.

Smash into you is probably my favourite off the Beyonce disc, or ava maria...

What?

Well it's true. All the tracks on Sasha Fierce, exlcuding the first track are only Ok, with Diva being the second best cause of it's damn great beat!

I Am is 30 times better though.

-----

Talking of the Knowles, I was pleasantly surprised to see Sandcastle Disco making an appearance on Pitchfork's 100 best tracks of 2008! (By Solange Knowles)

It's just a really nice relaxing track, with a nice retro feel, not as agressive as Winehouse and others.

Dunno what the rest of her stuff is like, but I unashamdly love this song!

It might just be me, but I love the lyrics in Recycled Air by The Postal Service.

Postal Service are amazing and Ben Gibbard(I think that's his name?) is a genius.

re. whoever mentioned Beyonce: I actually thought her X factor performace with that girl was pretty good but I really do hate her, all of her songs have the same meaning. Girl Power, Women being independent, we dont need men. Bollocks.

Tracks of '08 eh? I'm doing tracks that I've discovered this year, or have become a major part of my year as opposed to tracks that came out this year. Here's what I've found and decided on.

1. Coldplay - Viva la Vida

2. MGMT - Time to Pretend

3. Crystal Castles - Vanished

4. Frank Turner - Wisdom Teeth or Worse Things Happen At Sea or I Knew Prufrock Before He Was Famous or The Ballad Of Me And My Friends. (Probably Wisdom Teeth tbh.)

5. Elvis Costello - Shipbuilding

6. MGMT - Weekend Wars

7. Lightspeed Champion - Galaxy Of The Lost and Midnight Surprise.

8. Foo Fighters - Everlong

9. Speedycake - Caramelldansen Remix

10. Avenged Sevenfold - Afterlife

I also feel the need to mention Hadouken!, Fandangle, Maroon 5 and Get Cape. Wear Cape. Fly as bands I've been big on this year. And Dr Horrible's Sing Along Blog, too.

Notable albums include Fly Away by Fandangle, Music for an Accelerated Culture by Hadouken!, Falling off the Lavender Bridge by Lightspeed Champion, Oracular Spectacular by MGMT and Crystal Castles, by Crystal Castles.

Oh, and the Brawl/Galaxy soundtracks...

I'll stop now..

(PS. Just realised I forgot some obvious ones. The list above was decided at 3:40am. Take it with a pinch of salt, it changes all the time..)

Wow that's...big.

I've always been more partial to Time To Pretend too. It appeals to the youthful person I was more than the other songs.

I wanted to make the Frank Turner bit smaller and smaller but could only do that by making the rest of it huuuge.. :heh: