N-Europe

Banning of swords in the Uk

Chris the great

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah you do, think it's 16, though it may have been put up to 18. If it hasn't, then I think it should be put up to 18.

Ahh, thought so. I think 18 would be the sensible age.

I have no idea how you go about purchasing a sword, but I take it you have to be over a certain age. Chris the great mentioned something about a licence system, and that's probably the best action to take. Wanna collect swords? Apply for a licence, and then just go from there. Must safer cos then at least the person has been cleared and is allowed to own a sword, rather than just picking one up and selling it to a randomer.

They want to ban swords....they don't seem to care that you can still shoot a scotsman in York with a crossbow.

Tory councilors near me recently voted to keep an archaic law ordering public flogging to anyone who uses a wheeled vehicle (including prams and wheelchairs) on the seafront to block a previously approved proposal for a skatepark there :blank:

So you can legally whip the disabled at the bottom of my street for using the wheelchair ramps...

Arrg I don't know what to do. On one hand I think it's ridiculous to ban it as it's a perfectly collectible item and there's nothing wrong with it. On the other hand impressionable anti-intellectuals may see the 'glamour' of wielding a sword and end up using them for wrong reasons.

You know what I think. I think they should make martial arts (maybe like Judo) compulsary at school and that should teach most kids the descipline and staying calm and all... maybe that's the right way to solve this rather than banning everything. I remember Jackie Chan came on the Breakfast show some years ago and said the greatest weapon in a fight is to run away. I loved that, such a groovy thing to say :awesome:

Illegal to carry in public, not illegal to own. The only exception to carrying some of them is if it is directly related to your profession(like a chef), and it has to be very reasonably justified. Carrying most regular kitchen knives in public is actually illegal.

You may think I typed kitchen lives, but clearly it says knives now.

This is, of course, not true.

"an archaic law which states any Cestrian may shoot a Welshman with a longbow if he loiters within the walls after sunset when the curfew bell chimes (although this law no-longer offers legal protection against prosecution for murder)"

You can shoot one, just not kill one.

Hey, well I've not been here in a while.

Reason I'm here, there's talk of a banning the sale or import of swords into the UK. As a collector of swords, I don't agree with this, a brick or knife if just as easy, if not eaiser to kill some one with, and easier too conceal.

If you don't agree with this either, please sing here

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/swords/

thank you!

Will people sign my petition to legalise class B drugs in Britain ?

One day I hope to own several strains of super skunk which I promise will be only for my own viewing pleasure. I dont agree this plant should be illegal, if someone wants to destroy their body they can do it just as easy or more effectively with alcohol or breathing city air near any congested road system....

When the government want you to give something up, you may as well just accept that society deems it a menace and agree. No amount of debating will change their mind.

We are society and most of us are saying swords shouldn't be banned...

Plus...Drugs are a completely different issue to weapons.

People don't keep drugs to look at, they do swords and such.

Drugs can make people affect other people aswell (hence the smoking 'ban')

Incorrect, you are a minority of under 30's within society who like to own swords.

I dare bet any majority of society will ever support the motion of it being a legal right to own one.

Can you see the Daily Mirrors "SOS - Save our Swords campaign" ever being a reality ?

Society as a majority thinks that swords and weapons of any description are a menace.

Society as a majority thinks that drugs of most descriptions are a menace.

The two things may be a different issue, but as far as narrow-minded society goes they have made up their mind on both subjects.

There are parallels with both drugs and weapons and it all comes down to responsible ownership and/or usage. If swords are only something to look at, allow the government to ban and replace with non metallic constructed replicas, collect kendo swords or go and view them at a museum...at least that option stays.

People dont keep drugs to look at, quite true.....but there is the issue that a educated sensible user will not subject everyone to their usage (the smoking ban isnt a blanket ban, it does not apply to private places, I can still make people passive smoke in my abode ). Contrary to popular belief they dont send people insane with moderate usage, and the whole thing of 'leads to bigger things' is a product of seeing the nasty dealer who just happens to recommend that he has something else to try. (You can beat this comment down and disagree if you like, but I know the only drug I have seen cause true damage over the last 20 years has been heroin).

For the record, I do own a set of rather nice bamboo finish katana's and know peoples feelings on the subject, the same applied when I got my first set of nunchuks and when I purchased a Bo when I was a practising martial artist. Society sucks in its attitude on a range of subjects, I know, but all it takes is a little bit a newspaper controversy and the world is sold and gets on its high horse.

At the end of the day any sword no matter who owns it could be used to injure or kill.....that is as far as the majority will allow the debate to go, simple as, and arguing that they are better than looking at Leonardo collection ornaments wont cut it either.

They are only swords, we can live without them.....its not like they serve any purpose.

If you decide that you dont want to live without them, and consider yourself as educated and responsible enough to own one regardless, just continue ownership and become one of the growing number of people who are at risk of becoming criminal for their beliefs.