N-Europe

How do I start playing guitar?

DCK

Once again The Bard demonstrates his complete lack of sense of humour, and his inability to produce an argument without resorting to childish insults. Congratulations.

None of the insults were childish, they were damn accurate. And there was nothing humourous about what you said. You're a fucking dick and one of the members that I doubt anyone likes. Fuck you.

Heh, when I go and reply to what you say, you resort to the crutch of "humour" to back up what you say. Fucking pathetic.

None of the insults were childish, they were damn accurate. And there was nothing humourous about what you said. You're a fucking dick and one of the members that I doubt anyone likes. Fuck you.

Heh, when I go and reply to what you say, you resort to the crutch of "humour" to back up what you say. Fucking pathetic.

now that was humurous.how do ye do those angry posts.honestly i must try it

You know, I had a drummer, but then I replaced him with a metronome. Much less maintenance and only cost me a tenner. Great thing was I only had to punch the instructions into it once ;).

In real life, I think I'd punch you. :heh:

Drummers need love too, man. :(

Anyway, I'm trying to get into guitar, too. I wish I did have some more money so I could get lessons and proper structure and direction, because at the moment I'm really just plucking tabs and scales off the net and working with that.

The way I see it, having a teacher is great because they can open your mind up in ways you wouldn't even have thought about. I think researching into things like books and the internet also helps too, teacher or no teacher, and probably should be done anyway.

My guitar teacher was brilliant, though I'd been playing for a year before that and had sampled two rather useless/aggrivating teachers. He got me to learn some pretty ace new stuff, nujazz for one.

But still, Matt Bellamy never had lessons and that's good enough.

Enough of this advice, let's argue over who's the most egotistical guitarist who can play the fastest metal shred!!

I'm an acoustic fingerstyle player myself (shameless advertising - http://www.ghostofadeaddog.com), so any advice I could give you is limited DCK! I'd recommend an instructional DVD or going for lessons from a reputable guitarist in your area. There's only so much you can teach yourself, and you'll end up stuck in a rut eventually without some sort of instruction.

My advice to anyone considering learning to play the guitar would be just do it.

Just buy a Guitar and learn simple things.

Guitar is one of the most liberating things anyone can ever do.

It can relax you, it can lift you up.

To be honest, most music can do that.

but nothing beats the rush of writing some music, or learning something new, or indeed playing on stage.

So just do it.

You know, I had a drummer, but then I replaced him with a metronome. Much less maintenance and only cost me a tenner. Great thing was I only had to punch the instructions into it once ;).

Your metronome can do a rythm with fillings and all that?

More Bard Bullshit

I've been learning bass by myself without paid teachers for about a year or so. I would like to think my technique is good and my timing needs only a bit of work. Only trouble I find is learning to play by ear....does this come with practice or is there more of a natural nack for it?

I would say at least have a go at it. Generally bass is an easier instrument so you could perhaps start on that.

I would say at least have a go at it. Generally bass is an easier instrument so you could perhaps start on that.
I've considered that but then I thought that bass would be a little boring. Bass isn't really that influential in the more or less alternative rock I like to listen to, and it just is a lot of the same lines you play over and over again.

Of course I could be (and most likely I am) wrong.

• 1 year later...

Well let the spirit of learning guitar remain within you and carry on with the same zeal. There are various possible ways to learn guitar like approaching a tutor or carrying on with the online lessons. If you are able to catch up with the information which is being conveyed through the online lessons on guitar, then believe me this would be the most happening source to learn. It is much preferred choice too among many individuals. There are a number of sites which provide useful information on guitars.

Welcome to the forums, though I guess you won't be sticking around - which is a shame as I hear many people who are individuals have taken it upon themselves to choose to prefer this source of bodacious, happening and yet useful nintendo information. Personally it is the useful way that this site conveys the spirit of gaming with zeal that remains with me, or one of the various news articles to choose from. There must be an innumerable number of reasons why you should visit my website post again.

I had lessons for a few weeks, while our school gave them out for free, then went it alone. It was good to get the basics covered properly, but im pretty sure it's easy enough to self teach. I have since, it's worked out quite well.

Tabs, books are essential, and Id also recommend having a look at youtube tutorials for some songs / techniques (I only recently found out how palm muting works, thanks to youtube)