N-Europe

National anthems

KingOfHyrule

Inspired after hearing the Welsh national anthem (which I thought was superb - the group of Welsh in the bar in Belfast stood up and were so proud to be singing it!) at yesterday's Wales vs Ireland rugby match, I decided to open a thread about national anthems. What's your country's? What does it mean for you? Are you proud to hear and sing it?

Personally, I absolutely adore Ireland's national anthem, Amhrán na bhFiann (The Soldier's Song) and my heart bursts with pride when it's played or when I sing it, it means a lot to me. Without getting political, it annoys and embarrasses me when the Irish rugby team don't sing it at away matches, instead opting for the more "neutral" Ireland's Call, which is more of a sporting anthem.

EDIT: Anthems mentioned so far:

Ireland - Amhrán na bhFiann

Scotland - Flower Of Scotland

Wales - Mae Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau

England (United Kingdom) - God Save The Queen

Portugal A Portuguesa

South Africa Nkosi Sikelel' iAfrika (Lyrics)

Australia Advance Australia Fair

Denmark Der Er Et Yndigt Land

Ukraine Shche Ne Vmerla Ukraina

Good thread. :)

I'm Welsh, so my anthem is Mae Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau.

You're right as well. Whenever I'm in a pub when a Wales game is on, the Welsh fans always do sing it out loud.

Although, the Irish national anthem got a great cheer as well, but we were in an Irish pub, so it was bound to happen. :heh:

But yeah, the title for the Welsh national anthem officially means "The Land of my Fathers". It reminds me of junior school, where we had to learn this in assembly. It also reminds me of Rugby matches where I'm out with friends and they sing their respective anthems. Like, last year, we watched the Wales vs France game with some French people, and they bellowed out their anthem. :heh:

Although, the Irish national anthem got a great cheer as well, but we were in an Irish pub, so it was bound to happen. :heh:

Ugh, Ireland's Call is far from our national anthem - tune in next week to the Ireland v France game in Dublin and you'll hear our national anthem, Amhrán na bhFiann, then that cop-out of a song, Ireland's Call ;)

Ugh, Ireland's Call is far from our national anthem - tune in next week to the Ireland v France game in Dublin and you'll hear our national anthem, Amhrán na bhFiann, then that cop-out of a song, Ireland's Call ;)

I'll make sure to check it out. :)

Blackfox: The English anthem is pretty sucky. I reckon it should get changed to Strawberry Fields or something. :heh:

If you lot that are saying the English national anthem is sucky, are you referring to God Save The Queen/King?

If so that is actually yours aswell (Scottish & Welsh). It's the British national anthem.

But for some reason during sporting events England also use it whereas Scotland & Wales drop it and use their own anthems.

There is a big campaign to let England use an anthem of their own like Land of Hope and Glory.

God Save The Queen/King is also sung by many of the commonwealth countries.

If you lot that are saying the English national anthem is sucky, are you referring to God Save The Queen/King?

If so that is actually yours aswell (Scottish & Welsh). It's the British national anthem.

I think that's why some of us resent it. :heh:

Don't really like God Save the Queen all that much. Like you said, much rather England used land of hope and glory for matches.

I quite like Ireland's Call actually, even though it's not their proper anthem. Though not too impressed with the players half arsed attempt to hum along to it on Sunday.

Ireland's Call is ok as a gimmicky song for sporting events but the reason it's there is of course a long and complex one - players from the north of Ireland who'd see themselves as "British" would refuse to sing Amhrán na bhFiann so Ireland's Call had to be written to include everyone who'd wear a green jersey, the British players from the north included. And I've now noticed that some of them won't even sing along to Ireland's Call...

If you're going to play for a country, it makes sense that you'd just have to learn to sing the anthem - Mick McCarthy learned to sing Amhrán na bhFiann (in Irish!) as a mark of respect when he was managing the Irish soccer team, and he was English! I'd much rather use the national anthem all the time for rugby instead of just at home; I'd rather other countries heard it and saw how proud the Irish are of it, not to cop out and play down to a group of men who don't want to sing it in the first place. :nono: [/rant]

well beeing from Denmark ours is the best.. ha ha

well it's easy to sing.. I "hate" those pompous national anthems that are only created to say "look how mighty and dignified we are" and are impossible to sing along to.. you sit there and think.. well thats a lot of noise and drums and trumpets.. but where the f*** is the melody in that.. the german and the british ones have also always been favorites of mine