Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

HDTV Thread

McPhee

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bollocks! My tv has just crapped out on me. Well.... not entirely. Had this HDTV for about 2 years or so and have just tried to turn the thing on. Now when you turn it on, it automatically goes on standby and then you press power on the remote to put it on properly. Well, won't even do that. It goes and to standby and then constantly fluctuates between standby and being on and does this every 2 seconds or so. Tried pressing the remote to see if it'll go on and even tried unplugging the whole dame thing but nothing. So looks like it's broken, which is just what I need because I easily have another couple hundred pound lying around to replace the thing :rolleyes:

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to possibly fix it? Doubting there's anything I can do.

Bollocks! My tv has just crapped out on me. Well.... not entirely. Had this HDTV for about 2 years or so and have just tried to turn the thing on. Now when you turn it on, it automatically goes on standby and then you press power on the remote to put it on properly. Well, won't even do that. It goes and to standby and then constantly fluctuates between standby and being on and does this every 2 seconds or so. Tried pressing the remote to see if it'll go on and even tried unplugging the whole dame thing but nothing. So looks like it's broken, which is just what I need because I easily have another couple hundred pound lying around to replace the thing :rolleyes:

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to possibly fix it? Doubting there's anything I can do.

I know it sounds stupid but my TV did that once, I just plugged it out for a few mins and plugged it back in and it was fine again.

Looking to buy a new 32", been out of the tv game for a while now, what's good nowadays?

Been looking at the new Pioneer Kuro LCDs, the reviews are pretty encouraging. Obviously not as good as the plasmas but very good for LCDs especially the black levels.

• 3 weeks later...

I found this on play...

w w w . p l a y . c o m /Electronics/Electronics/-/319/405/-/929951/Samsung-42-P S42E7HDX-XEU-HD-Ready-Freeview-Plasma-TV/Product.html?searchtype=genre#

(Take out the spaces)

What do you guys think? It looks a bargin to me and seems to have good reveiws.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I found this on play...

w w w . p l a y . c o m /Electronics/Electronics/-/319/405/-/929951/Samsung-42-P S42E7HDX-XEU-HD-Ready-Freeview-Plasma-TV/Product.html?searchtype=genre#

(Take out the spaces)

What do you guys think? It looks a bargin to me and seems to have good reveiws.

Its rubbish.

Aim for a Panasonic if you are going plasma.

• 4 months later...

Ok so I'm having some trouble with my TV. The best way to explain the problem is by way of a picture of the it. Apologises now for the poor quality.

img068x.jpg

Kinda hard to make out but hopefully you'll be able to see the strange white-ish hue that is overlaying the black screen, with lines running all over it. Screen constantly flickers like that (although it does get a picture and sound, just the picture is interrupted with this). Mother thinks the TV just needs retuning for the Freeview but it's the actual TV that is the problem and that's all I know.

Was wondering if anyone knew or could help with what the problem could be or how to try and fix it. It's a long shot I know but I've tried all I can do, such as leaving it unplugged for several hours. Not even that old, about 2 years maybe slightly more.

• 2 months later...
As a general rule of thumb, any Sony TV is good for gaming.

I've been reading some reviews and some mention they have some input lag although some reviews said switching some setting like 100hz motion-flow will fix it, so I was a bit put off.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So we've just moved house, my parents need to get themselves a new TV now, and they're asking me to help. Despite my postingings around before, I am still very unwise when it comes to TV tech.

Plasma is better than LCD(clearer, better colours, better contrast etc) but it's heavier and more power consuming, right? If one had a choice between two similar size TVs at the same price, one LCD and one Plasma, would Plasma be the obvious choice?

Also, when it comes to HD. We don't have much HD stuff yet(well, none really, just my 360 with its standard cable and presumably anything I could download off tinternets that's in higher ratios), I foresee adoption of Blu-Ray eventually, however. But for now it's insignificant. What I'm more bothered about, is will our standard pictures(what we get from DVDs and Set-top box) be worse on the better TVs?

I've not seen much regular TV in action on HD and HD Ready TVs, but once or twice it looked a bit mank. I don't know if that's the specific TV's fault or what though...

Who are some good brands to go for also? Just been looking at HDMI cables also, why do they seem to vary so hugely in price?

Edited by Rummy

http://www.marksandspencer.com/Panasonic-TX-P42G10-Full-Plasma-freesat/dp/B002M85U0S?ie=UTF8&qid=1261946097&categoryNodeID=43992030&ref=sr_1_1&page=&node=198144031&sr=1-1&mnSBrand=core&rh=n:198144031,p_4:Panasonic

If it's in budget then that is the one to go for. An utter bargain at that price plus a free 5 Year Warranty, Delivery and Installation. If not then Panasonic still get my vote, got two sets in this house and both are great. As I understand it they're a pretty safe bet, they've not released a bad model in years now.

I think that's a bit over the budget but I'll check with my dad. Know anything about Toshibas? Been considering this one from Comet;

http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/product/578495/TOSHIBA-40LV665DB/tab/specification

I have a 42" Toshiba Regza LCD and it's fantastic. I got it from currys in a deal for about £470.

edit:

Have you considered this deal? £340 for a 42" with a voucher. Not a really big brand and not the most attractive set I've ever seen, but full HD and what a steal.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/566326/hitachi-42ldf30u-full-hd-digital-lc

Edited by Shorty

Thanks for the response, that is indeed quite a steal! I think my dad's getting impatient and wants one soon, in fact I think we're sposed to be getting it today. I might as a result of that just go for the Toshiba, it's easier for him if we go get it from instore and then if we have problems to sort etc, plus it's got a few more HDMI ports, and I think we're going to be using at least two already anyway. Which reminds me I need to find some cheapycheap HDMI cables...

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone got a Sony Bravia kdl W5500 (or similar model)? I got one for Christmas and I'm still playing with the picture settings as I can't seem to find a good setting that I'm happy with so I was wondering what settings everyone else uses, especially for the Wii and Xbox?

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!