NEurope
McPhee

HDTV Thread

My Sony HDTV's picture looks a bit wank out of the box too, must get round to changing the settings at somepoint soon =P

Ok guys! I am looking for a tv to buy. I've had one of those old huge monstrosities in my room for ages (namely this one). So I'm looking for a nice flat tv that will take up less space, and hopefully have a bigger screen too (this one was about 50cm I think).

Thing is I know nothingggg about this stuff. I do know I want to spend no more than 350 euro, and preferably have a screen of about 26 inches maybe. Unless that's already too big haha. The tv will just be used to watch DVDs in my room really. Normal DVDs, none of this HD stuff yet for me. Though maybe somewhere in the future I'd also use the tv for watching actual television and gaming. But yeah, right now just DVDs.

I found two I think look nice, but was wondering if there were any other brands out there that were better/cheaper?

Here is what I was looking at (site's in French, sorry): LG 26LH2000 and Samsung LE26B350 .

Ideas, suggestions?

I have a 26" Samsung. It hasn't broken yet, and some stuff looks nice on it. There's not much more to it than that.

From your links the LG is prettier. Try the AVforums to see if there is a thread dedicated to either set and what users are saying about them. Alternatively, there may be other threads there that recommend other sets. You will be hard pushed to find a worse TV than what you have been living with. :heh:

This thread could be quite helpful for you. But it is a couple of months old now.

Edited by Mr_Odwin

I've got the 32" version of the next model up to the one you posted, I'd thouroughly recommend it. The general consensus seems to be that for quliaty and price, LG have taken over Samsung and are no longer just cheap and cheerful. Most other TVs nowadays tend to use LG panels anyway, so you'd probably end up with one in a different badge.

Plasma is better than LCD(clearer, better colours, better contrast etc) but it's heavier and more power consuming, right? If one had a choice between two similar size TVs at the same price, one LCD and one Plasma, would Plasma be the obvious choice?

Depends on the make and quality. A good quality LCD from Sony would still be better than lets say a Samsung plasma. Simply because you do not get any of the advantages of plasma/pdp in Samsungs.

Here is an example of typically how stuff plays out. This is for 3d sets and why again tvs are not equal even if prices arent too different.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/video-hub/electronics/televisions/big-differences-in-3d-tvs/16935238001/72326491001/

LG have taken over Samsung and are no longer just cheap and cheerful

Well they are a cheap brand but they have earned a reputation for being better than Samsung on average. So I guess savers get a better deal

Depends on the make and quality. A good quality LCD from Sony would still be better than lets say a Samsung plasma. Simply because you do not get any of the advantages of plasma/pdp in Samsungs.

Here is an example of typically how stuff plays out. This is for 3d sets and why again tvs are not equal even if prices arent too different.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/video-hub/electronics/televisions/big-differences-in-3d-tvs/16935238001/72326491001/

Well they are a cheap brand but they have earned a reputation for being better than Samsung on average. So I guess savers get a better deal

From my (limited) knowledge, Plasma's are generally considered to be not as good for gaming as a LCD TV?

From my (limited) knowledge, Plasma's are generally considered to be not as good for gaming as a LCD TV?

There's not a lot in it these days. If you're not susceptible to the phosphor trails that some people see on plasma screens then there's no real disadvantage. Better to judge it on a set by set basis than tech vs tech because the gap between what Panasonic are capable of doing with Plasma tech and Samsung/LG is really quite large.

I need a new TV. My old one is dead, can't be repaired. I hope I'll get the money back (500€).

My grandma will probably help me out, too, which means I can spend a bit more...

I set my sights on those two babies:

LG 42SL9000

Samsung UE 40 B 6000 (sorry it's only in German).

Good or not?

Edit: Nevermind, got a replacement TV which is a newer model than my old one. :)

Edited by drahkon

I'm wanting to get a new tv for my ps3, after seing my nephews ps3 in hd it made me cry that I was still using SD. I found this one it was advertised in my local paper what does everyone think, is it a good tv? I'm after one about this price range, I originally wanted a 37-42" tv in my bedroom but this might be too big and expensive for a full hd one so sticking to a 32" tv will be ok. I thought this was a decent price for the specs but I'm not really a tv expert. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Samsung TV

Edit: Just realised, the one in the link looks different from the one in the paper, i'll look around for a pic of the one in the paper or try to get my scanner working :P.

Edited by Stewilo2005

What would be a good TV to go with a Wii?

I definitely want Full HD though, for it's a small update no matter what....right?

and what about these extra cables for your Wii which gives it a maximum output, do they really improve the visuals?

You mean component cable? Yes, you should get one.

The difference between 480p and 5xxi(?) essentially is, that the Wii outputs a 60 complete image every second, as opposed to 60 half images, that the eye combines to 30 full images. I was definitely able to tell the difference on my PC monitor/TV hybrid. The Wii's menu for example never seemed to stand still and the edges seemed to "flow" or tremble when I used the Scart output.

I'd still like a serious response though:laughing:

Which TV does justice to the Wii?

That question was much more serious than you thought. ;)

What do you exactly want? You can hook your Wii up to pretty much any flat screen HD-TV. There is no definite Wii-TV. It's all down to what you want from the TV. Do you want a wall of a TV, a small one, has it to be dirt cheap or do you want to spend a small fortune, etc.?

Edited by Burny

Yeah I think you'll find just about any hdtv will do "justice" to the wii...

You say that like the wii is an extremely superior piece of kit, lol

buy a 360 lolol

It's more like "which games console should I get to do my hdtv justice?" :heh:

What I mean is that some highly advanced TVs out there don't really boost the visuals of a Wii game.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 or Skyward Sword probably look even better on certain TVs than on, say, massive full fledged HDTVs of 3000 euros.

I'm asking what kind of technology should a TV boast to be able to show good, clean and smooth visuals regarding Wii games.

My budget would be beneath the 500 euros.

Then again, everything would be an update for I now own a beast of an ol' timer.

Big screen, but I believe Wii games could look better on other TVs.....

Now, WHO IS CATHING MY DRIFT?!?!?:laughing:

I'm asking what kind of technology should a TV boast to be able to show good, clean and smooth visuals regarding Wii games.

CRT. ;)

Personally, I've played the Wii on a 40+'' Full HD Screen (between 1.5-2m distance from the screen) and had no complaints about the image whatsoever. Sure, there will be visible pixels and aliasing in SMG2 etc., but if you're afraid, that your essential parts might rot off, if you spot a pixel, you probably shouldn't own a Wii in the first place. You like LKS however, so you're not that much of a Sissi. :grin:

If your budget is that low, you'll have to look for a small TV anyway (probably < 30''). On such screens the issue of pixelation won't be so pronounced. I couldn't recommend a certain TV however. You should find enough sites dedicated to testing such things with rankings etc..

I'm in need of a new TV.

My current one is a 21" Samsung Syncmaster monitor. It isn't quite full HD and it has a ratio of 16:10. The speaker is fairly broken on it and the picture doesn't seem as good as it used to. It's around 4 years old now and I mainly got it as a PC monitor that I could also connect my Wii into.

Now I have a laptop, so I don't need it for a monitor. It's main use will be my Xbox and Wii (quite annoyingly, my current one has one component and no HDMI, so I have to constantly swap), so what I'm looking for is:

- HDMI & Component (which I presume all new ones will have anyway)

- Between 21" and 26"

- Full 1080p HD

- Decent Speakers

I'm hoping to spend under £200.

Does anyone have any ideas?