NEurope
McPhee

HDTV Thread

Thing it is graded and discontinued I think. My Dad came out with a few reasons why it was bad, although I can't remember them. Can you see the fault?

Ah, it's graded. Hadn't realised.

The LE26R73 is a year older than the R88 though, so it's even more discontinued. The other model you linked to is likely the worst of the bunch, the look of it and the model number both suggest that it's the very bottom model of this year's Samsung range. It's made for volume selling in supermarkets and other similar places, I'd place a bet that it isn't even made by Samsung and is simply a rebadged TV! (common practice at the bottom end of the market, a lot of sets are either rebadged or are converted computer monitors).

Your best bet is probably this: http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/974719/art/samsung/le26a456c-le26a457-lcd-te.html?srcid=867

The R88 is the best of the bunch, as many on here would testify to, but the A456 is pretty good too. It's also in better supply than the R88 and available new.

Okay, this'll hopefully be the last time I ask which TV to go for. ^^;

So my plans to get a HDTV earlier in the year got postponed, and the TV I wanted has now vanished from online stores. However, I've seen this TV, and the price doesn't look too bad: http://www.rgbdirect.co.uk/ProductDetails.asp?SKUNumber=107043&Model=32AV555DB I'm looking to buy it around December, likely it'll be just after Christmas

Is that a decent enough one? Bearing in mind that that's perfect in terms of my price range...

Good? It's awesome! You're looking at one of the top 2 32" consumer TVs on the market! The only one worth comparing it to is the Philips 32PFL9603

Good? It's awesome! You're looking at one of the top 2 32" consumer TVs on the market! The only one worth comparing it to is the Philips 32PFL9603

Yaaaaay!!

I feel like i've done something right now ^_^

I can not wait for christmas. I'm insisting my mom buys me this, my room may be small, but my PS3 deserves an awesome TV. Thanks McPheePhee.

No probs m8, and you enjoy it! I had my eye on it for months, saved up a grand for the 40" version (now £800).

What made me decide against it? Well, why would i want a 40" screen when i could have a 90" one and better sound for the same money? ;) Projectors ftw!

Quick Question. I generally game from a monitor using a Wii VGA cable and I was moving it down to an old CRT TV in my basement as my sister wanted to use it for something. I recently bought Samsung 50" Plasma and I decided I would try using it to switch the Wii back over to interlaced mode. So I plug it into the VGA port on the TV and I get a "Video Mode Not Supported" thing come up. Do I have something set wrong? or do the VGA modes on HDTVs not support 480p?

Quick Question. I generally game from a monitor using a Wii VGA cable and I was moving it down to an old CRT TV in my basement as my sister wanted to use it for something. I recently bought Samsung 50" Plasma and I decided I would try using it to switch the Wii back over to interlaced mode. So I plug it into the VGA port on the TV and I get a "Video Mode Not Supported" thing come up. Do I have something set wrong? or do the VGA modes on HDTVs not support 480p?

It depends on the TV, that set might not support 480p over VGA. Try component.

Ok, thanks. I'm probably not going to be doing much gaming on that TV anyway, but perhaps I'll pick up some cheap component cables.

Anyone have any thoughts on this T.V my Dad may get for the front room. He wants to know if it's a good buy.

Panasonic plasma ( TH-42PZ81B )

I've got one and think it's ruddy brilliant!

It's worth noting that the 46" PZ80 is now about the same price (possibly even less). Might be worth looking at, it's basically the same set but without the Freesat tuner.

EDIT: Saw this thread over at AVForums, thought it might be of interest.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/av-hardware-bargains-discount-codes/909968-panasonic-46pz80-dmpbd35-blu-ray-costco-members-only.html

Yeah my Dad kind of wants FreeSat and the extra few " doesn't really matter. So we should go for it? It's got 5 years warrenty when buying at M&S

Yeah, i'd say go for it! I've got no complaints about mine :)

For reference i paid £900 back in October. If you're looking at more that £1k for it then i'd seriously consider a PZ80 or PZ85 with a separate Freesat box. It all depends how much your dad wants the Freesat built in though really.

Yeah, i'd say go for it! I've got no complaints about mine :)

For reference i paid £900 back in October. If you're looking at more that £1k for it then i'd seriously consider a PZ80 or PZ85 with a separate Freesat box. It all depends how much your dad wants the Freesat built in though really.

We've ordered the PZ85 and we're going to get a seperate Freesat thingy. Going to be awesome!

We've ordered the PZ85 and we're going to get a seperate Freesat thingy. Going to be awesome!

Good. The LG would have been horrible.

No that's the 42", the 32" that I want is for the small room. Still unsure which one to get.

I have just bought this model digitaldirect.co.uk/toshiba/32xv553.html which is an excellent LCD TV and I recommend it.

Our big TV is arriving tomorrow :)

And that one above could well be a candidate for when we put one in the small room. Why do you recommend it?

HDMI 2X i assume means it has 2 HDMI sockets on the TV. Full HD is 1080p.

Anyone know the cheapest place to buy HDTV's atm?