NEurope
McPhee

HDTV Thread

mmmmm, I'm 15 and have no cash at the moment.

Would have to save up 3 months of pocket money XD

And btw, if the PS3 blu-ray player as good as stand alones?

I don't know much about the latest stand alone players but I know that the PS3 Blu-Ray player is very good, one of the best on the market (at least it was the last time I checked :heh:). Also, considering you get a console included (or a blu-ray player included depending on how look at it) and its cheaper than most stand alones its definitely worth it!

PS3 is the best value by a long way. Great PQ and it's fully upgradable, no other BD player makes sense right now.

Also, 3 months pocket money?!?!?! You're 15 getting £100 a month? :eek:

PS3 is the best value by a long way. Great PQ and it's fully upgradable, no other BD player makes sense right now.

Also, 3 months pocket money?!?!?! You're 15 getting £100 a month? :eek:

My parents are sweeties :) (I actually get £80 a month, but will find the extra moneys somewhere)

Thanks for the info guys, might pick up a PS3 sometime in Autumn :)

Okay, I think I've pissed off just about everyone in this thread with my annoying continious stream of questions and decision changes. Sorry about that. :woops: Although this is deffinitely the last question I need answering regarding HDTV's.

I've decided to go for a 26" tv instead, as I've come to the realisation that 32" it way too big for my room, plus I can save more by buying a smaller set. However, I'm now struggling to choose between these three sets;

Samsung LE26R86BD, £378 http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/546743/art/samsung/le26r86bd-lcd-television.html

Samsung LE26A456, £336 http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/974719/art/samsung/le26a456c-lcd-television.html?srcid=198&mctag=uk_10668

Sony KDL26T3000, £392 http://www.electrosaver.co.uk/product_details.asp?id=LCD%20TV&Product=Television&productid=KDL26T3000

At the moment, the LE26A456 seems the most appealing, as it's at such a low price. However, the catch is surely in the specs, which is why I'm asking you lot, as you're pretty good with HDTV specs.

Thanks again if anyone can help...

Ty for that, it actually does look excellent value, although I'm still looking for a HDTV with VGA input, for my 360.

Another site linked to this one; http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/5217162/Toshiba-32-32C3031D-HD-Ready-Freeview-Widescreen-LCD-TV/Product.html

Apparently, it's only £20 more, and it has the VGA input that I need. Although I don't see the price or buy option anywhere on that page... :/

Apparently, it's only £20 more, and it has the VGA input that I need. Although I don't see the price or buy option anywhere on that page... :/

I think if there's no price or BUY option on Play, then they are currently out of stock. Didn't catch why you wanted VGA instead of Component input for your 360 either, sorry.

I think if there's no price or BUY option on Play, then they are currently out of stock. Didn't catch why you wanted VGA instead of Component input for your 360 either, sorry.

Basically, I want the component cables for my Wii, and I'd prefer VGA for my 360, as I have a Core that I bought from launch (which doesn't support VGA), and VGA has a much sharper picture quality than component.

Component usually gives a better picture than VGA and doesn't suffer the same scaling issues that VGA can. VGA is a bit sharper though and you can use your 360 for upscaling DVDs via VGA.

Personally i would just hook the 360 up via component and the Wii via RGB. VGA is hit and miss depending on the set.

Fair enough, I'm going to buy the 32AV504 set then methinks. I haven't got enough for it right this moment, but I'll be buying within the next few weeks. Thanks again everyone! ^^

EDIT: I've found a better price for it here too! http://www.digitaldirect.co.uk/products_moreinfo3/index.asp?product_id=15094

I know it's the 505 model, and not the 504, but the differences between them are only cosmetic. The 505 is black rather than grey. ^^

Rather than resort to RGB for the Wii, you could just get a Switch box from ebay and then use component for both consoles. :)

Ty for the suggestion there, although I'm wary about switchboxes/adapters. I was using a 3x RGB adapter in my current TV, but it's rubbish. The sound keeps messing up, and the picture is slightly grainy when I use it. I've just gone back to swapping RGB sockets when using different consoles, and it's much better.

Ty for the suggestion there, although I'm wary about switchboxes/adapters. I was using a 3x RGB adapter in my current TV, but it's rubbish. The sound keeps messing up, and the picture is slightly grainy when I use it. I've just gone back to swapping RGB sockets when using different consoles, and it's much better.

Well, that is your best, if more inconvenient, option as with some se-ups, it can be tricky to access the wires each time. I can recommend those boxes as I use one myself for all three of my consoles.

Is there a massive difference between 1080i and 1080p?

It's practically unnoticeable on anything sized 32" and under but it does make a big difference on the bigger sets, say, 42" and over. Basically, it gives you a better definition and if you think of 780p and 1080i as being similar, then 1080p is clearly better. The lines are individually focused as opposed to being merged ( inter-laced ).

It's practically unnoticeable on anything sized 32" and under but it does make a big difference on the bigger sets, say, 42" and over. Basically, it gives you a better definition and if you think of 780p and 1080i as being similar, then 1080p is clearly better. The lines are individually focused as opposed to being merged ( inter-laced ).

Ah alright, thanks for that :)

aha nice thread ^_^

I'm looking for a 19" lcd under 200quid, its not much money really, but it's about as much as I can afford. It'd be helpful if I could get freeview with it.

It's stating the obvious that I want as good quality as I can get so I can use my wii with it and dvd player etc. anyone any ideas? I don't want to go getting it from not-so well known places, I'd prefer somewhere like comet/curries (i know i know im sorry) because i may go pick it up rather than it being delivered.

I was looking at this originally:

http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/product/448443/ORION-TV19PL110D/tab/specification

I'm no good with technically stuff, so if there's any advice keep it simple for me ^_^ haha

yeah because you read the whole of my post :p:

I don't want to go getting it from not-so well known places, I'd prefer somewhere like comet/curries (i know i know im sorry) because i may go pick it up rather than it being delivered.

What about the one I posted, is it ok to buy? :S

No idea, i'm just as hopeless!

I'm after a 32" or higher, price range of about £500-600, preferably plasma i think as i've read that it's better than LCD for numerous reasons, and i obviously want good quality with at least two HDMI ports.

I also like Samsung for some reason, i dont know why. My current tv is from them. Anyway, i saw this one but i think 42" might be a bit big for my room.

http://www.dixons.co.uk/martprd/store/dix_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1225059280.1213029453@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccgdadeefkhimddcflgceggdhhmdgml.0&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=555390&category_oid=-28723

Any ideas where i could get a smaller one, 32 or 37 perhaps?

This Samsung is only £120.

I have this TV/Monitor and it is very good. Fairly good specs, loads of inputs (although it is missing HDMI) very nice overall. I have my PS3 hooked up via DVI/HDMI (Like HDMI but through a DVI cable) the wii through component (Highest it can go), N64 through composite, TV and DVD player.

This is the upgraded version of the one before. It has afew better specs overall (Has HDMI) and looks sexier. You say you would want to pick it up, they do have them at Argos.

The one you posted looks ok, personally i would pay the extra £20 for the Sammy and buy a £10 freeview box from tesco.

I have this TV/Monitor and it is very good. Fairly good specs, loads of inputs (although it is missing HDMI) very nice overall. I have my PS3 hooked up via DVI/HDMI (Like HDMI but through a DVI cable) the wii through component (Highest it can go), N64 through composite, TV and DVD player.

This is the upgraded version of the one before. It has afew better specs overall (Has HDMI) and looks sexier. You say you would want to pick it up, they do have them at Argos.

The one you posted looks ok, personally i would pay the extra £20 for the Sammy and buy a £10 freeview box from tesco.

hmm ^_^ thankyou for that, I do like the look of the second one (i originally wanted black so that's good!)

this one seems to be pretty much the same except cheaper:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5292624/Trail/C%24cip%3D1500011405.Sound%2Band%2Bvision%3EC%24cip%3D1500011489.Televisions%3EC%24cip%3D1500011496.14%2Binch%2Bto%2B22%2Binch%2BLCD%2BTVs%3EFC%24Screen+Size+%28inches%29%3D19.19.htm

yeah because you read the whole of my post :p:

Ebuyer is well know. It's just not high street. Ok you can't pick it up but it's free delivery.

Also the Comet and Asda ones don't post the response times.