NEurope
McPhee

HDTV Thread

A tip from what I did a while back when I got my TV: Find the TV you want on http://www.empiredirect.co.uk then go to John Lewis' website. John Lewis will pricematch any TV on this site (because empiredirect has actual stores as opposed to just websites on their own, which they don't pricematch against).

Of course it has to be the same model, but if there's a TV you can see on empiredirect that you like, it will most likely be cheaper than John Lewis yet John Lewis will charge you the same price if you inform them. But the best bit is, they'll give you 5 years warranty on your TV, which is great.

It's not worth the price. As McPhee said you don't really need 1080p and you could save near £200 by buying a 720p. If you are worried about the future then put that £200 in a bank account and buy a new one in the future.

Oh it's definitely worth the money. 1080p isn't worth the extra £200 alone, but this set is a premium 32" LCD. Similarly featured sets (Sony D3000, Panasonic LXD70/700, Sharp RD2E) are only 720p and yet retail for roughly the same price.

The question is do you want a premium set, or were you just interested in the 1080p? If it's the former then it's a bargain, if it's the latter then don't stretch your budget.

Oh it's definitely worth the money. 1080p isn't worth the extra £200 alone, but this set is a premium 32" LCD. Similarly featured sets (Sony D3000, Panasonic LXD70/700, Sharp RD2E) are only 720p and yet retail for roughly the same price.

The question is do you want a premium set, or were you just interested in the 1080p? If it's the former then it's a bargain, if it's the latter then don't stretch your budget.

Well I personally would rather buy a cheaper one and save the £200. You can get some good quality ones that just aren't premium.

I'll avoid getting 1080p sets for now then, I guess it is best to get a decent one now, and get a 1080p set in the future. Thanks again everyone!

However, I'd still rather go for a well-known brand, as I get a better idea on what I'm getting for my money. The LG set is still looking promising atm, unless there's a cheaper alternative that delivers the same kind of quality.

EDIT: I went round some shops this morning, to get a better idea on pricing and specs. I came across a new LG Scarlet tv too. I believe this is the one: http://www.askdirect.co.uk/uview?call=ask.productSearch&id=11299

From what I can tell, the specs are pretty damn good, and I saw it on sale for only £444. Is that a good deal?

I'll avoid getting 1080p sets for now then, I guess it is best to get a decent one now, and get a 1080p set in the future. Thanks again everyone!

However, I'd still rather go for a well-known brand, as I get a better idea on what I'm getting for my money. The LG set is still looking promising atm, unless there's a cheaper alternative that delivers the same kind of quality.

EDIT: I went round some shops this morning, to get a better idea on pricing and specs. I came across a new LG Scarlet tv too. I believe this is the one: http://www.askdirect.co.uk/uview?call=ask.productSearch&id=11299

From what I can tell, the specs are pretty damn good, and I saw it on sale for only £444. Is that a good deal?

If that's the exact same TV that you saw on sale then definitely go for it. That's a very good price.

Cool, I'll deffinitely go for it, thanks again for the help everyone! Although my birthday isn't for another week yet. I just have to hope that the offer is still on by then.

All I say is most AV enthusiasts (AVForums) will tell you that 1080p is pointless on any screen <42". For normal uses (i.e. without your face stuck to the screen!)

I just phoned them up to ask about the offer. It turns out I was looking at the wrong TV, the 32" Scarlet is actually selling at about £570ish. Bugger it, I'm just going to turn up on the day and go for a Samsung or LG brand. Thanks for everything though everyone! ^^

Well, I was recommended an LG, so I'll go for that over Samsung TV's, unless the specs/price difference is enough to make me change my mind...

Well, I was recommended an LG, so I'll go for that over Samsung TV's, unless the specs/price difference is enough to make me change my mind...

Toshiba are good too. Samsung TVs are both great and look great though. Panasonic and Sony are the elites.

Basically- check the contrast ratio, general look of the TV (whether you like it), stick within generally well known brands you and you'll get something you like, hopefully.

And check model numbers, not just brands. Every brand has they're cheapo supermarket budget models, you REALLY don't want to confuse a Sony KDL-S3000 with a Sony KDL-U3000 (the latter being crap).

Okay, I've come to a decision.

A Currys store near me are selling the Samsung LE32A456C for £444. I found some specs for it here:http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/725233

However, the Dixons website is selling the LG 32LG3000 for £462.80. Here's the site: http://www.dixons.co.uk/martprd/store/dix_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0171674669.1210685298@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccddadeedjiklfhcflgceggdhhmdgmj.0&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=986557&category_oid=-34762

I'm not sure which to go for tbh. The specs of the LG TV seem to be a bit better than the Samsung one. Although I'd have to wait for delivery. However, the Samsung one is at a much better price, and if I was to buy it, I could take it home on the day. Are the slightly better specs of the LG TV worth it, or should I go for the more cost effective option, and go for the Samsung?

Bear in mind that I'll mainly use it for gaming, and my original budget was £450 (as I have no idea how much cash I'll get for my birthday.)

Thanks again if anyone can help...

Have you got them round the wrong way?

The LG is cheaper... and has a higher contrast ratio.

Have you got them round the wrong way?

The LG is cheaper... and has a higher contrast ratio.

I didn't mean the price of the Samsung from the links, lol. There's an actual store near me that's doing a store exclusive offer, they're selling it for £444. I only posted the links for specs comparison, sorry for any confusion...

Okay, so it's settled then. I'll deffo go for the LG TV. Hopefully I'll have enough on Saturday to get me one. Thanks again for the help everyone! ^^

Oh bloody hell, now I'm having another problem! I'm now giving up on getting a 360 with HDMI, so I'm getting a VGA cable instead. However, it doesn't say wether any of those TVs have VGA ports or not. Can anyone help? Thanks again if you can...

It says one PC so most likely it is VGA, sound may be a problem though it should have the PC sound input as well.

Make sure the set does 1:1 pixel mapping via VGA, otherwise you get overscan (the TV will cut off the top, bottom or sides of the picture).

You can usually find out by doing a search over at http://www.avforums.com

I couldn't find anything on pixel maping with any of those TVs, so I started a thread on those forums. Thanks for the link McPhee.

EDIT: After browsing those forums, I've decided to go for the Samsung TV instead, as many have said that the LG I wanted is no good. However, I've also found out that there's no VGA input either. ¬¬

Is it worth getting some kind of VGA > HDMI converter, and connecting my 360 to the TV that way? Thanks again for any help...

Or I could always get this one...

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/5320508/-/Product.html?searchstring=LE32A436T1DXXU&searchsource=0

Related to HDTVs, anyone heard of the freesat service? Basically, you buy a freesat HDTV box once and you get HDTV channels for free with no subscription, including BBC HD and apparently ITV HD coming soon, as well as other channels. There's not many of the freesat compatible boxes (HD) out yet though, I don't think.

Will be getting a blu-ray player in the next year, will I regret buying regular dvds now?

I don't wanna end up wanting to sell all my dvds to replace them with blu-ray versions :/

Will be getting a blu-ray player in the next year, will I regret buying regular dvds now?

I don't wanna end up wanting to sell all my dvds to replace them with blu-ray versions :/

Just get a PS3 and start buying Blu-Ray disks now.

Just get a PS3 and start buying Blu-Ray disks now.

mmmmm, I'm 15 and have no cash at the moment.

Would have to save up 3 months of pocket money XD

And btw, if the PS3 blu-ray player as good as stand alones?