N-Europe

Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies

ndreamer

IX is a lot easier when going through the main story, it's the sub stuff later in the game that makes this game pure hard.

Makes Dragovian from DQVIII look like a baby.

Oh dear! Beating the Dragovian Lord was the hardest (but still fair) thing I've done in an RPG. The post-game boss in Etrian Odyssey was harder, but I couldn't call that fair (and I haven't beaten it).

And yes, anyone who really loves this should get a PS2 and DQVIII whilst they still can. When I recommend this game, killer kirby says I'm "forcing it down people's throats"! :D

Okay.. came across some rather interesting information about maxing out vocations..

I'l spoiler tag it just incase..

Apparently, level 99 for each vocation is not the maximum. Apparently you can have this reverted to level one, but you become 'vocation'+1, all the way til the 10th revert, where you become 'vocation'+'star'. And that apparently is the maximum.

The full completion attitude within me is very very scared if this is true..

edit: Okay, 10 may have been a very early assumption by another person I know, apparently each vocation can be maxed out twice or something..

Edited by Debug Mode

And yes, anyone who really loves this should get a PS2 and DQVIII whilst they still can.

I just picked up an NTSC copy for just over a tenner! :o It's times like these that I'm glad of my US PS3 :heart: mind you, I don't know when I'll find the time to play it but *shrugs* we shall see, it'll be after I finish DQ IX in any case.

Maybe I'll work my way through the series backwards... :p

I just picked up an NTSC copy for just over a tenner! :o It's times like these that I'm glad of my US PS3 :heart: mind you, I don't know when I'll find the time to play it but *shrugs* we shall see, it'll be after I finish DQ IX in any case.

Good stuff, very good stuff! The graphics will go up a generation, so it'll feel like a sequel anyway! ;)

Hope I get my DQ IX tomorrow... I did a rather rash thing and traded in my DS Lite for a DSi XL. Crazy, I know, but the bigger screen is invaluable for me.

A bit of warning...Dragon Quest VIII is much more prettier but it's very sloooooooow compared to the rest of the series, even that of Dragon Quest IX.

And good luck trying to find Dragon Warrior VII, took me a lotta months to find that game as it's only a US only. Yet at the same time I rate it as the best Dragon Quest game out of the series :D *Continues to pray for a Wii remake of Dragon Quest VII*

Hope I get my DQ IX tomorrow... I did a rather rash thing and traded in my DS Lite for a DSi XL. Crazy, I know, but the bigger screen is invaluable for me.

I bought myself a DSi XL JUST for this game...it's bloody worth it I tell ya

Edited by killer kirby

A bit of warning...Dragon Quest VIII is much more prettier but it's very sloooooooow compared to the rest of the series, even that of Dragon Quest IX.

I'll bare that in mind but I still look forward to playing it. :)

And good luck trying to find Dragon Warrior VII, took me a lotta months to find that game as it's only a US only. Yet at the same time I rate it as the best Dragon Quest game out of the series :D *Continues to pray for a Wii remake of Dragon Quest VII*

Thanks...

So I take it it's worth £35 then... ^^'

*loves having an NTSC PS3

So did I! I was playing Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker and got a little bit of eyestrain (it's just a weakness of mine), so I got up the next day and traded it in for an XL! Fantastic screen, worth it to see IX at its best.

Speaking of DQ IX, mine arrived today! Haven't been this excited for a game since Twilight Princess (I get most excited when I loved the previous one). There is a PEGI warning on the back for violence, but not for swearing, sexual references or gambling. Hope they haven't take these out, as it all adds to the colour.

Speaking of DQ IX, mine arrived today! Haven't been this excited for a game since Twilight Princess (I get most excited when I loved the previous one). There is a PEGI warning on the back for violence, but not for swearing, sexual references or gambling. Hope they haven't take these out, as it all adds to the colour.

From what I have seen they havn't really taken anything out of the game from the Japanese version, just some of the awful translation of having everything a fucking pun (It's good but they seriously shouldn't have it with every single little thing in the games)

And I don't even think they had puff puff in DQIX in the jap version (Although there is an attack still that is puff puff)

Basically from what I have seen it for me it feels more mature then that of DQVIII, it's like this game gives me a mix vibe of DQIII, DQVII and DQVIII because just playing this game makes me want to go back to playing those games again :D

EDIT: Just some notes about the game as well

.It's odd how the opening overture is in midi format while the Jap version is in orchestrated :/

.Sooooo happy the good ol sound effects of casting spells opening doors and going down stairs is back in this one, bit saddened how it was not in DQVIII >_>

.Pop ups are back and they should ALWAYS be pop ups, seriously the pop up makes navigating with items and such so much easier.

Thats all for now :)

Edited by killer kirby

So i've sunk a couple of hours into the game and already im in love with it.

I watched the opening cutscene and had a cheesy grin on my face when the DQ theme kicked in ( love that tune ) and then after that I sunk a little bit of time into making my character.

I decided to make him into a mini Vegeta/Trunks as Vegeta's hairstyle was there to be used. I then gave him yellow hair and green eyes thus making my DQ warrior into a Super Sayian! :D

I loved the anime cutscene where the Observatory got trashed, looking forward to seeing what caused that. Speaking of the Observatory, I think the music in that place is outstanding, very relaxing.

Once out and about round Angel Falls I set about grinding abit so I could afford all the new equipment in the shop. With that done I went and headed off to the Hexagon place to find Patty. The boss in there nearly killed me as I was just lvl 6 at the time but I managed to kill him with my final blow as 1 more hit and I would have died.

I warped back to Angel Falls after that and saved the game all ready for when im at work to do some more grinding. Oh and my nephew thinks that the theme tune for Angel Falls sounds like something off Pingu. :D

Playing it on my XL as well, looks great. Shame it tires my hands out faster though.

Haven't been this excited for a game since Twilight Princess

Haha same. Thankfully the post had already arrived by the time I woke up.

On a semi unrelated note: I was messing around with Dragon Warrior III yesterday. At you start you get asked some questions so the game can give you a personality, and during the final question I got turned into a dragon and sent to some random town! I ended up accidentally killing some guy who tried to attack me and a dog, though I left the rest of the town alone.

Somehow my save didn't work, or I forgot to save and the second time it sent me to a castle where I had to choose to jump off a building or chicken out :o.

On a semi unrelated note: I was messing around with Dragon Warrior III yesterday. At you start you get asked some questions so the game can give you a personality, and during the final question I got turned into a dragon and sent to some random town! I ended up accidentally killing some guy who tried to attack me and a dog, though I left the rest of the town alone.

Somehow my save didn't work, or I forgot to save and the second time it sent me to a castle where I had to choose to jump off a building or chicken out :o.

Finally found the GBC copy of it!?

So i've sunk a couple of hours into the game and already im in love with it.
Same here and I'm quite surprised by just how much I'm enjoying it as I'm not a big RPG fan, but this is great! :grin:

Absolute stunner too, the cut-scenes and in-game visuals are awesome.

Some of the dialogue has already been quite humorous too. icon14.gif

With that done I went and headed off to the Hexagon place to find Patty. The boss in there nearly killed me as I was just lvl 6 at the time but I managed to kill him with my final blow as 1 more hit and I would have died.

Took that Hexagon Monster out pretty easily in the end with a few of those blue crystal magic spell thingy's.
:heh: But yeah, I also kitted my character out with some new gear and a better sword beforehand, so that probably helped too.

I'm now at Lvl 10 after that battle and spending some time taking on the other various creatures that are dotted around. I definitely prefer being able to see (and therefore choose) which enemies you fight, makes it a lot more fun especially when you have to start chasing down monsters that run away from you. :hehe:

I really like the character designs on the monsters too, they've all got that kind of retro cartoon vibe going on which I love. Some of them really remind me of characters from the Moomins. :love:

Definitely happy I bought this game. :smile:

Playing it on my XL as well, looks great. Shame it tires my hands out faster though.

So many of us bought an XL for IX! ;)

That all sounds very bizarre...!

Regarding Dragon Quest IX, I'm loving it so far. One thing that surprised me was that the villages and overworld feel very much like IV and V. I know they're all DS games, but they feel the same, even down to controlling the camera with L and R, and how much you can do so. Thankfully, the combat feels like DQ VIII, with some minor changes/improvements, but nothing that seems significant yet.

The pacing is very fast, also feeling like IV and V. I beat the first boss at Level 6, and yet I hadn't done any grinding. I got to that level much faster than in DQ VIII. Not sure if that's a good thing or not, it's just an observation.

Thankfully, I have noticed the first big improvement over DQ VIII, and that is the way you can see how many points you need to put into each skill to earn a new move, and which one it'd be too. In DQ VIII, you had to guess what skills you might get in each category. It was either a jump in the dark or GameFAQs!

And Rez, I can see you're tempted! If you like turn-based RPGs at all, this is essential! :)

Fox News interviews creator of the Dragon Quest series Yuji Horii

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4279176/gadgets-and-games-79/

Seriously, this man should be loved by everyone especially the people who love their RPG's

Thats an hour long. Is it all with Horii?

Same here and I'm quite surprised by just how much I'm enjoying it as I'm not a big RPG fan, but this is great! :grin:

Absolute stunner too, the cut-scenes and in-game visuals are awesome.

Some of the dialogue has already been quite humorous too. icon14.gif

Definitely happy I bought this game. :smile:

I'm so proud. :heh: Welcome to the DQ fold!