NEurope
darthbane2k

The european Wii launch is looking to be a MESS

picture001mr0.jpg

Gamecube composite. I certainly can live with that.

However, when you play a HDTV console on composite, such as, Xbox 360 for example. The difference is very very clear.

picture007ii6.jpg

picture010jy2.jpg

That Zelda image is VERY good as well! Much better then i have ever gotten mine!

The fact is, if i sit too close to the monitor, like, 1 and a half feet away, i will see the interlacing, but if i sit like 3 feet away it looks perfect, and im gonna need to sit that far with the sensor bar and all.

So they shipped all the EU launch Component cables to the US to deal with the shortage there then. Amirite!

Don't get what the big fuss is about... But then again we don't own a HDTV (yet). Can't I just use like, the cables I've been using for my GC and N64? No idea what kinda cable it is.

I think I'm also one of those few people who usually doesn't notice difference in the quality of the image. So meh.

Thankfully there are some people with some sense over here. People like Nintendork keep complaining about this thread - while in fact its a very valid reason to be pissed off about. Its simple - on MOST (not all, but most) HDTVs, with component your games will look a lot worse than on a SDTV. You just want to avoid that if you can. This isn't strange, it's plain logic.

I wouldn't go as far to say that it would fudge up a launch, but I would be pretty dissapointed if I can't get hold of one, yes. I am not buying the Wii for graphics at all, but you at least want the image to look crisp to avoid some major headache and bleeding eyes thanks to some blurry mess on screen.

So please, nay-sayers, let us HDTV owners be a bit sad about it. It's really justified.

So please, nay-sayers, let us HDTV owners be a bit sad about it. It's really justified.

I agree being an owner of a HDTV.. i was and realy looking forward to getting a componant cable with my Wii just so the picture will be nice and crisp... yeah the composite cable will do untill i get a componant cable but im not happy about waiting.

People, just because game says so does not make it so. Nobody else is saying this and various stores across the continent are saying launch.

Ever occur to you that they're just shipping all their component cables to retail first? Then with the next batch, they'll go online?

Composite will probably look fine for everyone who hasn't been playing in high definiton the past year. The bar for graphics have been raised into the HD era now, so it's natural a Wii game running on composite would come under harsh judgement.

All I know is that if Nintendo don't ship out component cables for the EU launch there will be a lot of unhappy Wii adopters - myself, being I'm the most important person to me, included.

Jesus, you people.

Let's just get the launch over with before we start labelling it a mess already.

Composite will probably look fine for everyone who hasn't been playing in high definiton the past year. The bar for graphics have been raised into the HD era now, so it's natural a Wii game running on composite would come under harsh judgement..

I don't think this is the case I've played plenty of 360 and its all well and good having spanking new graphics fueled by HD, but Nintendo never intended the Wii to be HD that isn't its selling point and if that all people have to grumble about I think Nintendo can consider themselves about to have a very successful launch. They release the component cables so people who can use them can have an advantage it isnt the be all and end though.

They aren't releasing a VGA cable at launch which is my only way of getting the best out of the Wii without buying a new TV. you don't see me saying the Wii is gonna have a mess of a launch.

(sorry 3rd children not all this is aimed at you I'm talking in general terms aswell, just using your post as a starting point)

I can't really notice the difference unless you put two tv's running contrasting resolutions next to each other, even then I'm not likely to give a rats ass. It doesn't make all that much of a difference.

I can't really notice the difference unless you put two tv's running contrasting resolutions next to each other, even then I'm not likely to give a rats ass. It doesn't make all that much of a difference.

I would definitely notice the difference even if they were not side by side:

http://www.n-europe.com/forum/showpost.php?p=290562&postcount=185

And that's compared to RGB without progressive scan. With component and progressive scan it gets much better.

I'm going to be really pissed if i can't get some component cables when i get my Wii. Am i supposed to play Zelda looking at a big blob of colors? Wii Sports might be fine though.

i wont care at all wether my RGB cable arrives or not, all ill be caring about is about is using the remote for the first time and playing with my new wii.

Ugh it's exactly what I didn't want to happen. 22 December, even at that Play.com will never get that delivered in time for Christmas!

It's a bit of shame if I don't get a component cable at launch, but if anyone thinks that'll stop me playing Twilight Princess they've got another thing coming. Presumably several burly men with baseball bats, as that's what it will take.

I used to play on my Nintendo "Vaseline Screen" 64 all the time — over RF, no less — so I'm sure I can 'cope'.

I'm gonna be getting a HDTV soon as my Widescreen CRT died last weekend by chance :D (no really). I'll be happy with any TV better than the 10 year old I have at the moment.

I think I'll import one if I can though.

It's a bit of shame if I don't get a component cable at launch, but if anyone thinks that'll stop me playing Twilight Princess they've got another thing coming. Presumably several burly men with baseball bats, as that's what it will take.

<3. My thoughts exactly..

I don't live in the UK so maybe I will be able to get a component cable, but if not, it would mean I'll not play the Wii on my HDTV yet. I got my cube connected to it atm and it really looks like shit. If it were not that I'm getting a Wii with a component cable, I would've bought one for my cube a long time ago. I also see some people in this thread are saying it's stupid to complain about this and that the Wii is not meant for graphics blablabla but you should see the blur and ghosting that comes with a composite cable on an HDTV. It looks really ugly, even compared to a normal TV. And no, it's not my TV that sucks. Got my pc hooked up to it too (for movies, I've got a normal screen for normal use :) ) and it looks perfect in a better-than-HD-ready resolution (1360xsomething resolution, Xbox 360 is 1280x720).

I have a 20" CRT non-HD. I'll be playing with the regular old composite cable out of the box.

i really need a RGB or VGA or S- Video cable at launch- my LCD TV makes anything composite look dog rough and blurry and not nice at all, and i won't be playing Zelda if its gonna look like that so they better have RGB at launch if nothing else.

Just called Nintendo UK to try and snag some cables from them. The kind woman I spoke to said that the release of the Component cable has been held back and it wont probably hit shops until the NEW YEAR. And yeah, you cant order them direct from Nintendo either.

Guys I think its time to IMPORT.

Guys I think its time to IMPORT.

Oh my god, that is such a good idea. I can't believe you didn't think of that sooner, like when I said it in my very first post. If the component cables are so important for, just IMPORT THEM. Don't whine and annoy us who don't have a good enough TV to notice the difference. Yeah, poor you. Sucks to not have an SDTV, doesn't it.

:rolleyes: