NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
scubahood

The evolution of this forum

Lol Moria.

Actually, I guess you people deserve an apology from me if the Meaningless thread has caused problems. From my point of view, often a forum was cluttered with people posting fairly random comments, which may be interesting for some but not for all. Originally it came from my sentiments that among us we could use some time to socialize talking about complete bullcrap, just like in real life; often greater friendship and understanding among us come out of them. My intention was to unite all that under one thread to cut out the persistent scrolling in the main page of the forum, which often had more meaningful threads that deserved attention - but they would often scroll down quickly and disappear to the next page when "meaningless posts" are posted.

I thought it was reasonable given that it was posted in "General Chit Chat" section; at the end of the day, this site is about gaming and Nintendo. So naturally you would've thought that the direction of the site wouldn't be influenced by such a trivial, generalized thread.

If enough of you feel that I have brought harm here, I wouldn't mind to see that Meaningless thread locked or frozen. I've always liked this community and I meant no harm.

That thread is one of the best on this forum. It should not be deleted. Had it not been for that thread, I really think I would've lost interest in this forum ages ago already. Just a nice way to learn more about each other.

That thread is one of the best on this forum. It should not be deleted. Had it not been for that thread, I really think I would've lost interest in this forum ages ago already. Just a nice way to learn more about each other.

Agreed, I love the meaningless post thread, although perhaps it should be renamed the meaningful post thread as I see it as more a place to post meaningful things going on in your life, not a place to post random crap as it sometimes becomes. Anyway, stick the nostalgia away, yeah it was good back in the CE days, but it's good now as well. So some old members have left, oh well, things change and members are replaced.

This forum is pretty much the only forum I frequent, mainly because it's one of the best I've come across. Their are a wide variety of people from all walks of life and interests, most people listen and can accept others opinions without resorting to 'SFU, you dumb noob, go back to school you can't spell'. Best of all though is that no one takes it too seriously, I think most people here realise this is just a forum and not life or death, which helps keep the general mood and tone light and friendly.

Never knew much about the 'Golden Days' of the Cube Europe forums, but recently I don't feel like posting as much on these forums, they seem a bit quieter and there haven't been that many great topics to reply to.There are also some off-putting members on these forums...

interesting thread good read..

ive been member for somewhat 4-5 years now best forum ive been member of.

im also a member on the gamespot forum but thats just to laugh at the idiotic fanboy posts some people put on system wars

The problem with meaningless is that people seem to have gotten into a habbit of just posting crap, or small retorts or "LOL ****1100110"s and its leaking out into other places.

You know I do still come here ocassionally, don't be too hasty to consign me to the past.

So that Wii looks good doesn't it?

Doesn't work for me. It "opens" the channel, but when I try to type it just says that I haven't joined a channel yet. =/

Get a decent IRC client, the n-europe chat has been broken/fucked up for ages yet nothing has been fixed. Which may be a good thing because I remember that a long time ago you'd get tons of 'Guest-jIRC's that would start spamming and annoying the regulars.

It's a blessing and a curse: the extra effort to actually get on there keeps a lot of people away, but a lot of the unwanted guests as well.

A summary of the visitors we had last night :D:

(23:35:31) * Eenuh ([email protected]) has joined #cube-europe

(23:36:12) * Eenuh ([email protected]) Quit (Quit: Leaving)

(23:44:17) * retro-lover ([email protected]) has joined #cube-europe

(23:50:13) * retro-lover ([email protected]) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)

(23:48:19) * Sark- ([email protected]) has joined #cube-europe

(23:55:30) * Sark- ([email protected]) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)

Oh and on-topic, yeah mabye the magic's a bit gone for me, but I've lost my interest in gaming/anime/manga over the last few months which is a bit like the same thing. What I mean by that is we all grow up aye.

Yeah, about 5 minutes after i joined the irc channel last night i had to leave...

If you'd waited a bit Dieter, you'd have seen me come in successfully for the first time... I've been in before, but it never worked.

You know I do still come here ocassionally, don't be too hasty to consign me to the past.

So that Wii looks good doesn't it?

You should come back. Help the future become more like the past.

redvampiress.jpg

Confusing stuff.

I would just like to echo what others have said, and express my dislike of the Meaningless Post Thread (MPT). First, the title of the thread itself annoys me and it always has done. It suggests the thread contains posts that are meaningless, that is posts without meaning, when in actual fact, a vast majority of the posts in the thread do in fact have meaning, bar the few spammy ones which are irritating in their own right.

This brings us to the problem. If you've got something to say that isn't meaningless, why not post a thread about it? This way, those who are interested can have a proper discussion about it, while those who aren't can simply ignore it. I'm sure a lot of interesting stuff gets posted in the MPT, but I don't want to have to trawl through 5+ pages every time I log on in order to find it.

So, in conclusion, the locking of the MPT would have the following consequences:

1. Points of discussion would be developed more thoroughly.

2. It would be easier to locate topics that you wish to read about or discuss, and individual discussions would not get in the way of each other.

3. Spam would be harder to hide.

4. General Chit-Chat would be a livlier, more interesting, and more enjoyable place to be.

Of course, getting rid of the MPT would not return the forums to the glory days of C-E. That's in the past, and we can never return to it. However, it would hopefully go some way to improving N-E forums, and General Chit-Chat in particular, and eventually we will make this a better place than it has ever been :)

I think there's a few factors that we need to look into.

True, other members have left, but others have joined. Sometimes, i think we overlook that.

I think a lot of us like to point out what is wrong, rather than actually trying to improve things. A fair few of you/us might say this should be this way, or that should be like that: but a large scope of you fall into the category of posters using "******" or just generally not doing anything to help things. We've all got a part to play, so why don't we all try and do something to help?

Any notoriety I achieved back in ye olde was probably due to my mischief in the face of the gestapo-esque attitudes displayed by a few of the moderators. As far as I can see the grip's been loosened now, and I doubt I'd have much to contribute to this forum anymore.

It would be better ten-fold if you cunts loosened up.

Here is our problem.

I quote what i said earlier:

I think a lot of us like to point out what is wrong, rather than actually trying to improve things. A fair few of you/us might say this should be this way, or that should be like that: but a large scope of you fall into the category of posters using "******" or just generally not doing anything to help things. We've all got a part to play, so why don't we all try and do something to help?[/Quote]

It is not difficult to loosen up. It does not require any acrobatics on my part.

I would just like to echo what others have said, and express my dislike of the Meaningless Post Thread (MPT). First, the title of the thread itself annoys me and it always has done. It suggests the thread contains posts that are meaningless, that is posts without meaning, when in actual fact, a vast majority of the posts in the thread do in fact have meaning, bar the few spammy ones which are irritating in their own right.

This brings us to the problem. If you've got something to say that isn't meaningless, why not post a thread about it? This way, those who are interested can have a proper discussion about it, while those who aren't can simply ignore it. I'm sure a lot of interesting stuff gets posted in the MPT, but I don't want to have to trawl through 5+ pages every time I log on in order to find it.

So, in conclusion, the locking of the MPT would have the following consequences:

1. Points of discussion would be developed more thoroughly.

2. It would be easier to locate topics that you wish to read about or discuss, and individual discussions would not get in the way of each other.

3. Spam would be harder to hide.

4. General Chit-Chat would be a livlier, more interesting, and more enjoyable place to be.

Of course, getting rid of the MPT would not return the forums to the glory days of C-E. That's in the past, and we can never return to it. However, it would hopefully go some way to improving N-E forums, and General Chit-Chat in particular, and eventually we will make this a better place than it has ever been :)

But then where do we put the little stuff, the things that don't deserve a whole new topic?

I'm no good at making threads, and haven't been since joining all those years ago. For me the Meaningless Post thread is a good mediator, as without it I doubt I'd say anything and would probably have simply left. Sure I doubt that would affect people much as I'm not exactly a pillar of the community, but what if I'm not the only one to drift away?

The thread does cannibalise some strings of conversation, but only the little things; some things raised in it have gone on to become threads of their own, and it also gives a home to the posts that wouldn't be elsewhere.

But then where do we put the little stuff, the things that don't deserve a whole new topic?

I'm no good at making threads, and haven't been since joining all those years ago. For me the Meaningless Post thread is a good mediator, as without it I doubt I'd say anything and would probably have simply left. Sure I doubt that would affect people much as I'm not exactly a pillar of the community, but what if I'm not the only one to drift away?

The thread does cannibalise some strings of conversation, but only the little things; some things raised in it have gone on to become threads of their own, and it also gives a home to the posts that wouldn't be elsewhere.

I do think that it is a good thread. You're right, its great for posting a few things which may not deserve a thread of their own. It's become almost like the N-E blog, which in itself is quite an achievement.

However, i feel that some people are just not using the thread for the same reasons you might be. It's becoming a bit of a spamfest at times.

What's wrong with spam in a thread like that? It doesn't deviate attention from other peoples post, or ruins the conversation. I think people worry about spam too much.

What's wrong with spam in a thread like that? It doesn't deviate attention from other peoples post, or ruins the conversation. I think people worry about spam too much.

Because then, all it does it give people the soul purpose to spam. It isn't a spam thread, that's the point. As Aimless said, its a thread where you can just post little things which may not fit anywhere else.

Because then, all it does it give people the soul purpose to spam. It isn't a spam thread, that's the point. As Aimless said, its a thread where you can just post little things which may not fit anywhere else.

Why would someone spam? It's not like you get something out of it. I think the word spam is used for too many things.

Why would someone spam? It's not like you get something out of it.

Precisely what i think.

But, tell me, what purpose does this serve:

LOL

There's been a fair few of them. SPAM traditionally stands for Stupid Point Annoying Messages/ing ( i think). In the meaningless threads, i do see people like Aimless and Eenuh using it as a blog, which is how i like to use it, too. But, there have been posts which would be classed as spam, which don't serve any purpose but to annoy. Obviously, whichever forum you visit, the staff will have its own interpretation of what spam is, but generally spam is where certain posts don't add anything to the topic.

Sign in to follow this