NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
gj15987

Glasses

I was sitting in one of my uni lectures the other day, and the lecturer was writing on the board and I just thought to myself...my god I can't see a thing. My eyes have never been perfect but now they're getting worse so I think its time I got glasses. I have an eye apointment booked at Specsavers on friday and I'm pretty sure I'll need them.

So all you glasses wearers...where do you get yours from? And is it worth me paying the extra for the extra thin and light lenses or the scratch resistant ones? I was looking at the Quicksilver designer frames, some of them look pretty sweet. 30% off at Specsavers too cus i'm a student.

I don't like wearing my glasses. I'm short-sighted, and sometimes i have to wear them, but i resent them. I do like using contact lenses, however.

I get mine from Specsavers. I have no idea about all these extra details like lense types. Maybe its worth just asking for advice when you get there? Sometimes that works for me.

True...but I could get an honest person or I could get someone who wants to get as much money out of me as possible! lol.

True...but I could get an honest person or I could get someone who wants to get as much money out of me as possible! lol.

At the end of the day, they'll be dishing out advice day-in day-out. It's their job. So, i suspect you'll get a pretty honest reply. They probably won't give you one strict option, but will probably ask questions, such as whether or not you play sports, etc. They'll offer you different choices, and probably only then will it become clear which option is the best for you. :)

When i last went in, i decided i wanted to move onto contact lenses, because i really didn't like wearing glasses. They gave me a few options about the type of lenses. I think it was just something basic like hard or soft lenses. In the end, i think i went for soft as they caused less irritation (i think).

I tried on a friend's pair of glasses, and i had to admit that they looked pretty good on me. They were frameless, but bluddy expensive! Seeing as you get discount, maybe you could look into that.

Wearing glasses makes you look smarter.

I would personally spend quite a lot of money on glasses to make them look good as you're going to be wearing them all the time. I don't need glasses though.

I go to Specsavers too. I paid for scratch resistant last time seeing as it isn't much but didn't bother with thin lenses. That only really matters if you have really bad eyesight/different lenses for each eye I think.

I go to Raynar's opticians. I buy the cheapest frames there, I also get my lenses free on the NHS.

I would splash out for designer frame but paying a three figure sum just to have some twats name in a barely readable size doesn't shout value for money to me.

I know i need glasses, i cant read a thing on the board from the other side of a classroom (short-sighted)... however every pair of glasses i try on, i look a arse in. I will certainly need them next year when i start driving, so i was just thinking of going to get an appointment and get Oakley sunglasses with lenses in just for that.

Contact lenses all the way!

But yeah, if you're gonna get glasses, just make sure that you like the way they look on you. Cause if you're gonna end up hating them (like I do with mine), you've got yourself a problem. ='D

And for advice on what kind of lenses to get, I think it'd be best to just ask the people in the store. Cause they'll know all about it.

You could try laser surgery.

Could indeed, but I'd rather have the inconvenience of glasses than pay hundreds of pounds per eye. And I dano how glasses work but I'm hoping I'll only have to wear them when i'm in lectures and not all the time.

Students get 30% off at Specsavers? :wtf: They neglected to mention that to me last time i bought a pair of glasses :(

I use contacts these days, much more convenient.

A number of things to look for when buying glasses:

1. Only buy from specsavers if they're doing buy one get one free. The offer is on about 60% of the year so if it isnt on now it will be in a few weeks

2. Always order Scratch Proof lenses. You dont want to have to shell out another £100 because you wrecked the lenses

3. If you use a computer a lot then get Glare Reducing lenses.

4. If your likely to need to use glasses outside then make sure your second pair is either tinted or has reactions coating (the brighter the light the darker they get)

Laser Eye Surgery sounds horrible, i looked at it once. They cut open the front of your eye, fold it back, shine the laser into your lens to bend it back into shape, replace the front of your eye and then you have to wear special contact lens for a month while your eye heals. They only do it one eye at a time too, so if you found the first time too painfull you still have to go back for more! :nono:

Could indeed, but I'd rather have the inconvenience of glasses than pay hundreds of pounds per eye. And I dano how glasses work but I'm hoping I'll only have to wear them when i'm in lectures and not all the time.

If you have to wear glasses all the time I'm pretty sure you'll spend more on glasses than laser eye surgery in the long run.

Laser Eye Surgery sounds horrible, i looked at it once. They cut open the front of your eye, fold it back, shine the laser into your lens to bend it back into shape, replace the front of your eye and then you have to wear special contact lens for a month while your eye heals. They only do it one eye at a time too, so if you found the first time too painfull you still have to go back for more! :nono:

They do one eye at a time but it's at the same appointment. You don't have to go back.

I was sitting in one of my uni lectures the other day, and the lecturer was writing on the board and I just thought to myself...my god I can't see a thing. My eyes have never been perfect but now they're getting worse so I think its time I got glasses. I have an eye apointment booked at Specsavers on friday and I'm pretty sure I'll need them.

So all you glasses wearers...where do you get yours from? And is it worth me paying the extra for the extra thin and light lenses or the scratch resistant ones? I was looking at the Quicksilver designer frames, some of them look pretty sweet. 30% off at Specsavers too cus i'm a student.

wait a minute you assume because we are fans of nintendo games that have we wear glasses?

:cry: .

ya you would be right.i had the same problem as you.Did an eye test and got my glasses.my eyesight is getting worse as time goes on though.

Well being non-British i can´t advise were to buy them but i can advise you to either get contact lenses (i would use them but my eyes aren´t matured enough) or a titanium frame it´s more expensive but you won´t regret it

You could try laser surgery.
I have no problem with my eyes so it doesn't concern me, but I always imagined laser surgery to be some sort of terrifying Goldfinger-esque ordeal.

Goldfinger%20Laser.jpg

I got my (new) pair around 2 months ago. Went to specsavers, and (as I'm a student) got it for free. Next day I picked up (one again because I'm a student) free £35 glasses (who the hell needs "Designer" ones that look the same?).

Didn't get anything "extra" because it would of cost some money.

Specsavers often have bogof deals, best to go for them. That way you have one in your bag and one at home all the time.

As for lightweight and scratch resistant.... only consider those options if you think you'll drop them or can't hanle and extra 50 grammes hanging around.

Try being partially sighted, it sucks.

I'm ever so slightly long sighted, so when I was younger I had to wear glasses for a week or something... However, it turns out I can correct it with my eye muscles (meaning I am able to blur everything if I want to).

Neverthess, when I get older I won't be able to do this, so I'll have to wear glasses.

I was just thinkin about the thin lenses cus I don't want those really thick goofly looking ones.

I was just thinkin about the thin lenses cus I don't want those really thick goofly looking ones.

With what your situation sounds like, your lenses will be quite thin anyway, and nowhere near thick.

I wear glasses. I didn't like them when I was young, but I didn't have a sense of fashion back then :D. If you have some money to spend, I suggest you go to a specialized store for glasses, not a chain like SpecSavers and Pearle (which has a different name in the UK I think). The selection of brands in those chains is very limited. Go for some cool designer glasses from Italy.

Anyway, also check with your insurance if they can help you out, I don't know what options you have in the UK.

About the special options: take them all, they're for the best. Obviously you want them to be as scratch resistant as possible, but you can also get things like reflection reduction; this makes sure your eyes are visible.

Don't have insurance for that sort of thing in the UK. And I don't know of anywhere else other than Specsavers, Scrivens or optical express...

I have bad short-sightedness — -9.5 left, -9.0 right — so yes, I look 'goofly' with thick lenses. As such I forked out for the thinner option. Your eyesight can't be anywhere near as bad as mine, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I've never bothered with scratch-resistant lenses, and I've yet to regret pocketing the savings. It really isn't that hard to put your glasses in a case for transport, and one of those is certainly cheaper.

I basically wear contact lenses any time I'm not in the house¹, but you probably just need a pair of situational lenses then you can whip out during lectures, driving, or things like that.

Oh, and I go to Specsavers. It was my parents choice years ago, though, so I can't really compare it to any other opticians.

¹I keep meaning to ask about continuous wear monthly lenses, but have yet to get around to it.

Sign in to follow this