N-Europe

Splinter Cell: Double Agent

Retro_Link

wiiboxart20061016093108377yp2.jpgtomclancyssplintercelldoubleagenttba20060908025637963ve9.jpg

First of all, this game looks fantastic!!

However, we're apparently getting this game at launch and yet there is surprisingly little known about the Wii version of the latest Splinter Cell!

Last info on IGN:

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/731/731810p1.html

The Wii version of Splinter Cell Double Agent is based on both the PlayStation 2 and GameCube builds, with enhancements made to gameplay and graphics.

Ubisoft confirmed to IGN Wii that the game will lack some of the missions in the forthcoming Xbox 360 build, but will boast all-new controls specifically catered for Nintendo's console.

Double Agent will make use of both the Wii-mote and nunchuck attachment. Ubisoft Montreal is still play-testing the controls in order to further refine everything and therefore was unwilling to describe in detail the exact control methods in place. However, it did cite one example, which is that players will be able to shake the Wii-mote to and from in order to make Sam Fisher pick locks in the game.

No online component is planned for the Wii version. Downloadable content through Nintendo's WiConnect24 service is still up in the air.

Splinter Cell Double Agent is set for release on Wii during the console's launch window, which very likely means it'll arrive sometime in early or mid-November.

We've provided first screenshots in our media section.

Anyone have any new info on the game?

Anyone planning on getting this at launch, or soon after? I think I'll probably get it at some point.

Here's a Review of the 360 version for anyone wanting to know what to expect;

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=14136&type=wmv&pl=game

I hope that they've managed to implement a good Wii-mote control sceme; hopefully Ubisoft will use aspects from Red Steel, such as the grenade throw etc...

Also, hopefully there will be some good multiplayer content and that Ubisoft have decided to use WiiConnect24 for updates!

This is exactly what pushes developers away from Nintendo consoles, this game looks great, and on any other system there would be a massive a buzz, buton the Wii it's not even in anyone's Top Ten Launch Games! So what will be most likely a wonderful game that looks great and plays well will be overlooked by many.

This is exactly what pushes developers away from Nintendo consoles, this game looks great, and on any other system there would be a massive a buzz, buton the Wii it's not even in anyone's Top Ten Launch Games!

Probably because UbiSoft hasn't been showing it off. A lot of people have probably forgotten about it.

This is exactly what pushes developers away from Nintendo consoles, this game looks great, and on any other system there would be a massive a buzz, buton the Wii it's not even in anyone's Top Ten Launch Games! So what will be most likely a wonderful game that looks great and plays well will be overlooked by many.
I think it's probably because there's been such a lack of info from Ubisoft about the Wii version! where as the 360 and PS3 are getting regular trailers etc...

Looking into the game to create this thread my interest has really gone up! I was never really sure whether the Wii was getting the game because of the lack of info; until I saw it in the Argos launch list!

This is definately one of the best launch games, along with Zelda, Red Steel, Super Monkey Ball and Raving Rabbits and I too hope this game isn't forgotten about!!

Yup I agree it does look an awesome and it has received a great review ..........................................on the 360!

This is what concerns me:

The Wii version of Splinter Cell Double Agent is based on both the PlayStation 2 and GameCube builds, with enhancements made to gameplay and graphics.

Ubisoft confirmed to IGN Wii that the game will lack some of the missions in the forthcoming Xbox 360 build, but will boast all-new controls specifically catered for Nintendo's console.

1) The Graphics - based on PS2 and Gamecube - the enhancements better be significant!

2) Not online - damn! but can understand why - damn you Nintendo pull your finger out grrrrrrrrrrrr.

3) Lacking some of the missions! - Now there really is no excuse for that! - hell since we're not getting it online we should be getting more missions!

Does look good though! lol:laughing:

I bought the current-gen version (Xbox) yesterday which the Wii version is based on and it's quite different from the X360 version. It's actually being made by a different team. The X360/PC version was made by Ubi Shanghai (SC2) while this was made by Ubi Montreal (SC1, SC3). The levels I've played so far doesn't look like anything I've seen from the X360 version. Basically the game is like the last game, Chaos Theory, in both gameplay and graphics and I guess the same goes for PS2 and GC versions. Too bad the Wii version won't have any online play though.

Are they all Wii screens? They look great!

hmm wonder, its disappointing that we are getting the PS2/Xbox build, I would much rather we got the 360 build but obviously graphics downgraded from HD, it seems we are actually also missing out on gameplay elements rather than just graphical .

the wii version like the gamecube version is ps2 code based not xbox that was stated clearly by ubisoft they promised graphics and controller upgrades

if those graphics are playable in game shots of wii screens thats bloody well close to 360 version if thats what wii can do with a ps2 based game in such a short development time IMAGINE GAMES BUILT FROM SCRATCH FOR WII

AMASING

Do you mind me asking, in my perpetual ignorance, if this thing is coming out on launch...because I must have it!!

Ubisoft announced it as a launch title, although i'm unsure if they meant Europe. http://www.n-europe.com/news.php?nid=9544

Why can't NOE simply release a final launch list for confirmation, we have a basic idea of what's going to be at launch but still, is it really that hard to release one like NOA did?

Videos

1up's hands-on.

For many, Splinter Cell Double Agent is the title that will prove whether Wii can handle traditional games. It's hard to count the number of times we've heard people ask "how is the Wii going to do games like Splinter Cell" -- games that have been perfectly customized to work on the Xbox and PS2 controllers with fairly complex control setups.

We had a chance to check out the Wii version of Double Agent yesterday, and found a game that in some ways mimics traditional Splinter Cell titles and in others tries new ideas with the system's motion controls.

One of the interesting features of the Wii version is the weapon aiming system. As in other versions of the game, you run around in third-person and zoom in over Sam Fisher's shoulder to shoot. But unlike in games like Rayman, the on-screen reticule for your gun does not move with every tiny adjustment you make. There's a small dead zone right around the reticule to prevent it from jumping around when you try to hold the Remote still, and the reticule only moves when you move the pointer out of that tiny area. It's something you might not even notice at first, but makes steadying your aim a simple process, with the only downside being you have to occaisionally overshoot to get very specific shots.

The camera controls work similarly to those in most Wii first-person shooters we've seen -- keep your aim with the Wii Remote in the middle of the screen and your view stays fixed, and point it to the extremities if the screen to move the camera. It takes a few moments to get accustomed to, but it's a pretty simple thing to learn and only seems to pose problems when you want to take a break and set the controller down without pausing, or when you try to reach for the 1 and 2 buttons on the controller (for whistling or using a sticky camera), which can throw off the aim.

To help players stay oriented, a small green triangle sits on the screen the entire time you are in third-person, and serves as your pointer to show where you are aiming. This makes it easier to make small camera movements, for when you want to peek around a corner slowly without revealing yourself to enemies.

Backing yourself up to a wall for peeking is one of the ways we've seen that the game uses the motion controls for more than just aiming. If you stand near a flat wall and want to back up against it, all you have to do is "swing" the Nunchuck horizontally. It's an easy motion that lets you get into position quickly.

Other uses of the motion controls come with jumping (flick the Nunchuck up to jump -- works better than in games like Battalion Wars, but still feels slightly delayed compared to a button press), swinging your legs up onto a pipe as you crawl across it (works brilliantly -- it's a super simple move, sure, but "swinging" the Nunchuck feels perfect here), and picking locks.

Picking locks is another way the Wii shows how well it can work with this type of game. In previous Splinter Cell games, players have picked locks by rotating the right analog stick until feeling a vibration, then keeping it held in that direction until that slot unlocks and they can move onto the next until it's done. In the Wii version, the Remote replaces the right analog stick, and you simply rotate the Remote right and left until you feel it vibrate and unlock the slot you are on. It's extremely simple and works beautifully, feeling more like actual lock picking than the feature has in any of the other games.

Thus far, these are the only motion control features we've seen in the game -- backing up against walls, jumping, pulling your legs up, and picking locks -- but we're hoping that more will pop up later in the game in areas we didn't get to play. There's a ton of potential for things like slitting an enemy's neck or knocking him out after you grab him from behind, or for some of the more involved gadgets, but we don't know the extent of maneuvers that were not in the version we played. We hear you will be able to switch which side of the screen you are on when aiming by shifting the Nunchuck left and right.

After roughly an hour with the game, we got pretty well accustomed to the controls and were able to move around quite nicely (just short of how easy it is to move around on a normal controller). That time was spent both adjusting to the Wii-specific control features and simply learning where the buttons were on the controller since the actions are all in new places. In some cases, the new button placements are for the better, making it extremely easy to switch between guns instantly. But in others, they can be more difficult to use, such as when trying to whistle to get an enemy's attention by holding down the 1 button and cycling through a menu to get to the whistle icon.

It's hard to say how all the control features in the game will measure up come review time, since the context specific motion controls in the game are pretty solid but we don't know the full extent of them, we've only had limited time with single-player, and we haven't had a chance to see how the game's multiplayer works yet. The added Wii touches definitely seem nice, so hopefully we'll see more of those as the game goes on. Players who want to use the GameCube controller will be out of luck, as it won't be supported in the Wii version.

For all the in-game content, if you're wondering if your favorite feature from the other versions of Double Agent has made it in, look to the PS2 version (or GameCube, which is based on the PS2 game). That means co-op is in, spies vs. mercenaries is out, the graphics look current-gen, and the story and level design follow the current-gen game.

Which, in a certain sense, is something of a blessing for those players who want to see what's in the current-gen version but already bought the 360 game. It's hard to justify purchasing the PS2, Xbox, or GameCube version of Double Agent along with the 360 game, but if you went for the 360 version initially, this looks to be a good way to see all the different story and co-op content with a few gameplay twists to make the Wii version worth its own purchase.

Double Agent for Wii is set to ship alongside the system when it launches on November 19th. Hopefully with a bit more practice, the Wii controls will become as second nature as the standard Xbox/PS2/GC ones have over the past five years, because if so, this will be a great companion to the 360 game when it