Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Google Buys YouTube for $1.65 Billion

Stocka

:blank:

http://www.elektriq.com/articles/google-buys-youtube

Google has agreed to acquire YouTube for $1.65 billion in a stock-for-stock transaction. YouTube will operate independently to preserve its brand and community.

Google announced today that it has agreed to acquire YouTube, the consumer media company for people to watch and share original videos through a Web experience, for $1.65 billion in a stock-for-stock transaction.

"The YouTube team has built an exciting and powerful media platform that complements Google's mission to organize the world's information and make it universally accessible and useful,†said Eric Schmidt, Chief Executive Officer of Google. “Our companies share similar values; we both always put our users first and are committed to innovating to improve their experience. Together, we are natural partners to offer a compelling media entertainment service to users, content owners and advertisers.â€

“Our community has played a vital role in changing the way that people consume media, creating a new clip culture. By joining forces with Google, we can benefit from its global reach and technology leadership to deliver a more comprehensive entertainment experience for our users and to create new opportunities for our partners,†said Chad Hurley, CEO and Co-Founder of YouTube. “I’m confident that with this partnership we’ll have the flexibility and resources needed to pursue our goal of building the next-generation platform for serving media worldwide.â€

Watch out microsoft! :heh:

YouTube has done fucking nothing to make it easy to organise? Have they seen their pages.. they are cluttered with adverts and links to poorly meta linked videos.

Google will no doubt streamline and clean it up, make it more reliable.

But YouTube really has done well.. they built rome in a few years.

For Microsoft to worry AOL + Yahoo! and Google would have to get together to take on Microsoft. I don't see that happening with AOL's huge empire.

They got an okay deal, Google video will be merged.. the YouTube name will no doubt get rebranded over time as to not confuse.

No it won't be merged... there was a press release saying it's staying as a seperate site.

Also, I don't think they'll be cutting out the illegal content until they get sued or something, I mean, they surely know thats what makes it popular, the fact people can just upload stuff.

Hmm, interesting.

Yahoo! did let flickr keep it's branding.. but they said that about Konfabulator too: now known as the tasteful 'Yahoo! Widgets'

Google is a bigger name, even than YouTube.. it would be wise for there to be some cross over. But maybe that's part of the owners terms. They came up with YouTube and they want it kept.

i just hope they don't start charging us to upload vids, i've looked around other video hosting sites but i prefer Youtube, sure it's got it's problems but with the amount of hits and uploads it deals with on a daily basis its amazing they had things running as well as they did, i hope that all this buyout means is YT will have the finances to now hire people to sort out the bugs more efficently. I think the reason i perfer YT is of all the other "clones" of it YT has the best "community" feeling just like this forum (ok you get haters and fanboys but hey this is the net afterall its hard to keep the dumbasses out)

(click my sig to my YT profile if you not been there yet)

Google Video is free, so why would they?

ah yeah i'm getting things confused :hmm: , sorry that rumour was when people thought they wouldn't sell and charging fees would be their way to help pay for and maintain the servers, so i guess with googles money behind it that shouldn't happen

Well I'm really happy about this. Mainly because if anyone bought out youtube (and it was going to happen sometime soon) then i'd rather it be google than news corp or a company like that. I'm sure google will leave youtube pretty much how it is in terms of branding. I think they'll merge a lot of google video content into it and eventually, if anything, I think google video will bite the dust. Google bought out Blogger and that's pretty much stayed how it always used to be, albeit with better features and such.

Google will no doubt streamline and clean it up, make it more reliable.

Have you seen what google video is like compared to Youtube. Its messy and all over the place. Although Youtube made a stink load of money, I am gonna miss all the copyrighted stuff that gets posted on there.