N-Europe

Wii production exceeding expectations

Dante

Briefing.com reports (subscription only) that, according to UBS, 2 million Wii consoles were completed in Q3 (July-September) to support Nintendo's upcoming Q406 global console launch, beginning November 19th in North America. In addition, "at least 7 mln and potentially as high as 9 mln more units are in the build plan for 4Q06." The report continues, "this production ramp handily exeeds [sic] a publicly announced tgt for 6 mln units to ship by yearend"; however, Nintendo had previously announced plans to ship 6 million units by the end of their fiscal year (ending March 31, 2007) and only 4 million by the end of the calendar year. The language appears to indicate the possibility of building, if not shipping, as many as 11 million Wii consoles by the end of the calendar year!

With production exceeding expectations, why release the console so much later than many anticipated, and right on top of the PlayStation 3's November 17th launch? It all comes down to software. While Nintendo may have warehouses full of Wiis, they need a launch lineup and reliable system software to go along with all that stockpiled hardware. But Zelda has to be done ... we would have been happy with just that, promise.

Joystiq

I'm thinking Nintendo was pushed back by developers in order so they could finish their games.

Anyway, good to see supply is so good. Lack of supply usually kills a launch but I can't see that happening now.

So is this 100% official because if so, it's great news!

More people will be able to get one and won't have to go through the dissapointment of shortages etc.. (well maybe still, but more Wii's help shortage problems)!

Yeah i thought the software would have put things back a bit, i don't think Nintendo want to release a console with hardly any launch titles again! So you can't blame them!

Now they have full support and a great production of Wii's being made! Looking good!

Yep, there's nothing like stripping naked and stalking the roof tops with a pair of mechetes come the launch of a new console.

:laughing:

Do you live near Colchester Nintendork? I'm sure thats you who said you did in the past...i haven't checked how many preorders GAME and Gamestation have got there.

Does it mention Black ones!!!!!!!!!!!?????? Plllllllleeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaassseee!!!

My centiments(sp?) exactly

Please give us at least a choice of two colours (white and black) at launch, the black looks too frackin awesome and it works loads better with that blue light in the disc drive

It's sentiments.

Cheers for that,

I was the first to pre-order at my store, ahahahahahaha, but i doubt it would make much difference what number your preorder was, just be at the store first on launch day and you should be fine, i don't think they'd say "sorry you'll have to wait till numbers 1 to 26 get theirs first"

its probably a case of wii game disk production that is holding them back, their is a lot of disks to be produced for each separate region, then each region has separate packaging and with europe thats a particular nightmare, with launch games they will be going into production quite late as always happens so maybe they can't produce enough to launch to close together.

its probably a case of wii game disk production that is holding them back, their is a lot of disks to be produced for each separate region, then each region has separate packaging and with europe thats a particular nightmare, with launch games they will be going into production quite late as always happens so maybe they can't produce enough to launch to close together.

Doubt it, the cd's could be mass produced quite easily in this day and age.

:laughing:

Do you live near Colchester Nintendork? I'm sure thats you who said you did in the past...i haven't checked how many preorders GAME and Gamestation have got there.

Hahaha how did you find my identity guys? I always wear a balaclava when I'm running around naked!

I went into GAME a couple of weeks ago and they had 7 pre-orders.. I don't tend to go in GameStation.. their shelves are shit. Impossible to browse pre-owned stuff.

In a few weeks a lot could change.. they could easily have 200 by now, or they could have 20. I'll check tomorrow.. I could do with some fresh air.

I reckon if you wake up for a 9am store opening you'll get a Wii.