N-Europe

Rumour: Nintendo should worry...

Dilli Gee

There are rumours going around that Microsoft will be dropping the worldwide price of the Xbox 360, to compete with PlayStation 3 and Nintendo Wii.

http://www.britxbox.co.uk/index.htm?ref=news&id=276361753

The above site is reporting this, but obviously it can't be truested 100%. HOWEVER, Microsoft did say they want to lower the price of their system on an annual basis. And with their HD-DVD player coming out, the promotion would do the system good.

So say it is £220 for a PREMIUM Xbox 360. That's only £40 more than a Wii, and mass population are going to be more attracted to that than a Wii (unfortunately).

And if I didn't already own a 360, I would be getting that instead of a Wii, if there was a price-drop, because Wii is "too much" for what I'm getting.

They won't announce a price-drop until the very last minute, like how Nintendo treated Xbox back in 2002, so I think Nintendo should worry.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the 360 system was £220 I'd be pretty interested, and might even chose that over a Wii with a good bundle.

To be honest I think if that happened Nintendo might drop the Wii price a little.

However, as Ashley said MS have repeatedly stated they have no plans for a price drop before Xmas.

I think the XBOX 360 will be appealing at that price, but I think most people will look at the price of the games. Most 360 games are around the £50 mark still, whilst wii will be £10-15 cheaper. I think that parents wanting to buy a console + games for xmas will take this into consideration.

Also the way I look at it is that the 360 will be a year old, and still more expensive than the Wii.

its way more likely for sony to release one.I believe nintendo and microsoft have very different strategies and i dont think microsoft copied nintendo too much

Xbox 360 is a multimedia centre, which still have plenty of potential, thanks to the hard-drive.

Nintendo Wii is a gaming system, not much else.

I totally forgot that the GameCube price dropped before release. Maybe we'll see something similar with the Wii? The cheaper the console the better.

Microsoft still faired better because of the price drop.

They refunded all their customers £100, or gave them 3 new games or something.

microsoft wont drop this side of the PS3 launch-they need to make minimal loses for as long as possible. plus if they did drop now or in the next few weeks, they'd have fuck all in the bag to try and combat the PS3.

i think the addition of a HD DVD drive bundle is very likely if nto this year then next year and i also think the end of the Core console pakcs-M$ cant really handle 3 SKUs its bad enough with 2!

You can do that on any basic PC, and lets face it if you have broadband you will have a PC. Surf the net: nice extra if it was free. Others are useless
last but not least:
Shows off a movie-playack mode. You can apparently transfer home-brew movies to your Wii, view them and modify them in real-time.
Source: http://wii.ign.com/articles/732/732707p1.html

Wow. That's impressive. :indeed:
Considering it comes out of the box doing this things when GC's policy was "we make games not multimedia enabled consoles" it's a nice extra, it comes for free, for god's sake.

And don't come at me with your X360, good for you, you have one, you can also turn it downwards and boil some egg's. I prefer to have a Wii, because of the games.

Leaves me more money to get Wiimotes and all.

Also... as long as I'd like Wii to be sucessful, I could care less, Gamecube was not that sucessful and I loved it, the games I wanted the most came out there, same for Wii.

I prefer to have a Wii, because of the games.

The only games that excite me at launch are Zelda and Red Steel. Whilst Nintendo as a company has three top profile games (Mario, Zelda and Metroid), so does Microsoft (Gears of War and Halo). And there have been some incredible 360 games in the past year, like Dead Rising.

I think Microsoft has the better games, at least out of the games we know in production for Wii.

The only games that excite me at launch are Zelda and Red Steel. Whilst Nintendo as a company has three top profile games (Mario, Zelda and Metroid), so does Microsoft (Gears of War and Halo). And there have been some incredible 360 games in the past year, like Dead Rising.

I think Microsoft has the better games, at least out of the games we know in production for Wii.

360 will have been out for a year before the Wii comes out. of course the 360 will have some good games out, if you looked at the 360 this time last year it was looking very ropey unlike Wii.