N-Europe

Wii Region Free?

Hellfire

im really getting pissed off with this blind fanboyism.

So... I'm blind fanboy because I'm reasonable? I'm fanboy because I'm tired to heard same, tired bitching about controller from spoiled teenagers whose main income is what they get from their parents? Teenagers who also don't know anything about economics or engineering, and can't even understand how expensive it is to mass produce device with minaturized wireless technology, gyroscopes, accelometres and infrared sensors. Sure, if these are main qualifications for fanboy, then I'm one.

P.S. Dots, commas, capital letters, grammar and space key were invented for reason. I would recommend you to use them.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So... I'm blind fanboy because I'm reasonable? I'm fanboy because I'm tired to heard same, tired bitching about controller from spoiled teenagers whose main income is what they get from their parents? Teenagers who also don't know anything about economics or engineering, and can't even understand how expensive it is to mass produce device with minaturized wireless technology, gyroscopes, accelometres and infrared sensors. Sure, if these are main qualifications for fanboy, then I'm one.

P.S. Dots, commas, capital letters, grammar and space key were invented for reason. I would recommend you to use them.

what the hell!?We are the ones complaining about the price because we are NOT spoiled teenagers and dont get money from their parents.maybe u are but thats a different topic!

what the hell!?We are the ones complaining about the price because we are NOT spoiled teenagers and get money from their parents.

Seriously, by judging how you write, scream and complain you can't be that old (I'm believing 15-17 years). And most people who are complaining prices here are young people without stable income, you can't deny that. It is also fun how other forums, where console gaming is only side-topic, Wii price is said to be great.

Seriously, by judging how you write, scream and complain you can't be that old (I'm believing 15-17 years). And most people who are complaining prices here are young people without stable income, you can't deny that. It is also fun how other forums, where console gaming is only side-topic, Wii price is said to be great.

u might be looking at american forums where the price is justified!

and who is screaming?

Quit being such a child mcj. I'm not at all happy with the prices either but at least I (try to) take them in an adult fashion. Flaming other people won't make the Wii cheaper.

Honestly, Nintendo hasn't broken their promises (except for the free internet browser but it's free in europe), they just did the worst possible within the limits they set themselves. It's your own fault though for being hyped for a $200 price.

I'd like to add to my other post, that, allthough I don't mind much if it wasn't region free, I do think VC and online content should be region free. I think it's ridiculous to have specific VC games for each region.. If it means I won't get to play Sin & Punishment (for example), I might just as well not bother with VC at all, which will mean I won't but any retro controllers. That would be a bad decision.

I'd like to add to my other post, that, allthough I don't mind much if it wasn't region free, I do think VC and online content should be region free. I think it's ridiculous to have specific VC games for each region.. If it means I won't get to play Sin & Punishment (for example), I might just as well not bother with VC at all, which will mean I won't but any retro controllers. That would be a bad decision.

Okay maybe i'm just being stupid here but isn't that just to do with language?

Yeah it'd prefer the thing to be region free. Though i'd be surpirised if Nintendo let it be. They can't afford piracy on the level Sony or Microsoft can.

Okay maybe i'm just being stupid here but isn't that just to do with language?

Yeah it'd prefer the thing to be region free. Though i'd be surpirised if Nintendo let it be. They can't afford piracy on the level Sony or Microsoft can.

Language and video system. But this is also the case with the Cube and Wii discs.. The thing is, in concrete form, US imports for example, could hurt European sales. Games were released later in US and EU, to localize them. This would take time and money, manuals also had to be translated etc. Now, in digital form, it just a small effort to make multiple versions availale (all the translations and localization already has been done), and indeed that's what they'll do, so why just not make them available to every region? What good will it do to not make Japan only releases available to the US and EU? They can make even more money because there are plenty people who will want to play Japanese versions, even if they don't understand Japanese.

Ok, I'm confused. :confused:

Is Perrin Kaplan right? Or is it David Yarnton?

Personally, I think I trust Perrin more because she's so adamant about Wii being region-free (with choice of lock for publishers). I don't want to get my hopes up, but she wouldn't keep saying that if it wasn't true.

Or Reggie would have kicked her ass.

Either way, I agree we NEED someone to set things straight once and for all! Maybe Iwata , Shigsy, or Reggie?

All i can say is: when since has europe ever been right? seriously, when since has it ever had a say into anything Nintendo related?

If anything, it was probably only said to discourage importing, since Nintendo of europe would loose out on potential profit.

It could be that the Wii is region free but the games are locked like Yarnton said,so they both could be right.

The Wii could be region free so it can play import GC and VC games(Can you do that with the VC games?) but the Wii games are locked.

I trust Perrin more,but it would clear things up if Reggie or Iwata said something.

Language and video system. But this is also the case with the Cube and Wii discs.. The thing is, in concrete form, US imports for example, could hurt European sales. Games were released later in US and EU, to localize them. This would take time and money, manuals also had to be translated etc. Now, in digital form, it just a small effort to make multiple versions availale (all the translations and localization already has been done), and indeed that's what they'll do, so why just not make them available to every region? What good will it do to not make Japan only releases available to the US and EU? They can make even more money because there are plenty people who will want to play Japanese versions, even if they don't understand Japanese.

All very true, but i'm thinking of this in a casual gamer perspective. What happens when the 12 year old with his 2000 Wii point gift card accidently downloads "rediculously text heavy Japanese RPG No. 347"? I'd love to download the Japanese games, i've been drooling over the idea of getting my hands on the more elusive Fire Emblems since the V.C.s announcement, but I reckon there is a reason behind this move (if such a move exists).

No i'm thinking more the kid buys it without knowing it's in Japanese. Just another English game you know.

Maybe they have a warning system if you download games from other regions. For instance it checks if you really want to download a Japanese game you can't even read.

Or it displays the supported languages next to the game.

Perrin Kaplan says region free, David Yarton says she is incorrect, and now we have Gamespot doing some hunting of it’s own. In their latest Rumor Control section (posted on the 14th) they have given evidence which leads them to believe the Wii is region free. The article hasn’t been updated with any news stating the contrary.

The official story: Getting answers from Nintendo proved difficult during one of the company’s busiest days of the year. However, after a lengthy exchange of cryptic e-mails, a rep finally confirmed that Kaplan’s words regarding regionless first-party titles and potentially regionless third-party titles were indeed correct: “[The] Wii will be region-free.”

Bogus or not bogus?: Not bogus.

WooHoo. It better not be the case that only PAL Wii's are not region free.

LINK: gonintendo.com/?p=5750 (I still can't post links yet)