N-Europe

No 3rd Party Wii Wi-Fi Connection Games!

Dante

Well the DS network already works and as far as I know the Wii will use something similiar or to be honest I believe it will be no different at all - so basicly the Wifi network is already up and running. Maybe not 100% working but it is there. If developers can start with Wifi games early 2007 it will take some time until we see the first Wifi Wii games from them. Not the best move - Nintendo had time enough to create a working online environment in my eyes. Even if Nintendo has the libraries why should they create online games when the network is not ready? That doesn't make sense at all...

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If Nintendo manage to make a decent online service without Friends Codes then this is for the best - otherwise it's a stupid move that will cost them.

Or maybe friend codes are simply universal. With DS main problem was that there wasn't simply any place where you could have stored universal friend code / universal game data, because DS doesn't have storage space and each game cartridge is seperate entity. I bet that Nintendo didn't even plan Wi-Fi games in the first place for the DS.

Damn, ah well. So does this mean that the Wii will not be online for a while or just 3rd party games wont be? Either way when the online stuff hits RE has to have a HUGE meetup I can't wait :bouncy: although I am going to have to wait now. :hmm:

Didn't somewhere say yesterday that at GDC to Wii's were being wirelessly connected for a LAN game of Battalion Wars?

So we might not get Online from day one but maybe Red Steel or Super Monkey Ball may offer LAN multiplay.

Anyway no online from day one doesn't bother me so much, that means I don't have to spend money on an online peripheral on day one.

This isnt that much of a blow, out of all the 3rd party games at launch I don't think there's any that would really lose out on not being online.

Its still a stupid move from Nintendo though. Xbox might of taken a year to get online, but Dreamcast was online out of the box.

No, no, no, no, no!! For fucks sake, Nintendo fucked up once with the name, and now with this online stuff, it's gonna be another Cube online wise.

:nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

If Nintendo manage to make a decent online service without Friends Codes then this is for the best - otherwise it's a stupid move that will cost them.

I agree with this: shooting themselves in the foot at launch without online games (any online games that would be worth playing would have been things like CoD3 ,Red Steel, and FarCry Insticts).

If they don't let anyone go online from dayone (apart from downloading virtual console stuff), then make you have to do friend codes, it's gonna be totaly shite, and the Wii will go badly wrong.

You can't delay online play for an entire console and get away with it in the market today, unless it is free and you can do stuff like choose the name that appears in game, but doesn't have to be exclusive to you-that is what the universal code is for...

I kinda hope IGN got the wrong end of the stick and it's just Activision, becuase both the games confirmed to not have online (CoD3 and Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam) are both published by them...

Its still a stupid move from Nintendo though. Xbox might of taken a year to get online, but Dreamcast was online out of the box.

Nintendo said it would by online out of the box...

Also does that mean I have to leave my broadband on all night? That literlaly is demented . Man nintendo cmon buck your ideas up :woops:

Uhm, you'll only need to leave your broadband on all night if you want to use the functions of Connect24 (many games will probably have a option when you launch it to download new levels etc, but probably people can't visit your Animal Crossing village while you sleep etc)

Still, why do you turn off your broadband at night?

I think this might be for the best, it leaves Nintendo some time to make a good online service and provide good libraries for 3rd party devs to use (if it's easier to implement online, more online games should be made).

Perhaps just having the Virtual Console set up at launch would somewhat compensate for a "temporary" lack of online titles with having the misfortune to buy add ons to games [e.g. Red Steel with additional guns, swords, multiplayer stages and other features that should have already been in the game]. A shitty way for developers to generate additional revenue through ripping off the consumer and perhaps even encourage them to develop online games for Wii when the system is finalised.

fixed for accuracy.

Or maybe friend codes are simply universal. With DS main problem was that there wasn't simply any place where you could have stored universal friend code / universal game data, because DS doesn't have storage space and each game cartridge is seperate entity. I bet that Nintendo didn't even plan Wi-Fi games in the first place for the DS.

sure all the advertising guff at the start stated that it would connect via wifi later down the line.

i think its a good idea.I mean nintendo are already hitting people with a lot at once.

Motion sensing

all the controllers

virtual console

browsing

and the rest.I dont think people will complain.

true, true. and yes opera is built in, so the online system WILL be up and running from day one. they are probably just gonna be refining it right up to launch to ensure the best possible service, so you'll get opera and VC straight away, and then come 2007 the online games will appear too. gives us something to look forward to ;) i'm glad the system isn't being rushed to launch. (so fish, {puts on best "Brookside voice"} caylm daown, caylm daown ;))

Uhm, you'll only need to leave your broadband on all night if you want to use the functions of Connect24 (many games will probably have a option when you launch it to download new levels etc, but probably people can't visit your Animal Crossing village while you sleep etc)

Still, why do you turn off your broadband at night?

didn't they say at e3 that you could visit other people's towns while they slept? didn't they use that as the best example of wiiconnect24...? maybe i'm wrong... haven't slept much recently lol

This thread rocks lol

so funny the way some people are getting so agitated over one game... ;)

fixed for accuracy.

hehe, nicely edited ;)

Guest Jordan

First off, the console will probably online from day one.

Allowing you to make an online profile, play some first party Nintendo games online and download content or VC games.

The only thing is, you can't play online using 3rd party games. I don't personally see that as much of an issue...

First off, the console will probably online from day one.

Allowing you to make an online profile, play some first party Nintendo games online and download content or VC games.

The only thing is, you can't play online using 3rd party games. I don't personally see that as much of an issue...

True! What Nintendo titles are online though?

I wanted to play Red Steel online, fingers crossed this is a third-party game that will be online from day one.

Overall? It's not a 'big' problem..at all...but it's kinda a blow that it's not fully ready for launch ain't it? Perhaps Nintendo are having problems with getting games online?

True! What Nintendo titles are online though?

Well Nintendo are releasing Zelda, Metroid, Wii sports, Excite Truck and maybe Mario Galaxy and Wario Ware before Christmas.

So maybe Wii Sports and Excite Truck are online?