Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

AOL releases search results

Ginger_Chris

It seems AOL have just released the search results of about 500,000 of their users, containing around 2 million search results. This comes after the huge amount of contervacy after the whole google/microsoft thing and the government. The users usernames have been replaced by random user ID's but many of the searches inclued personal data.

Someone at AOL realised what a public relations disaster this could be, and have taken the database down. However several sites (im not going to name) have still got it up.

Most worryingly is one user that has the following searches:

17556639 how to kill your wife

17556639 how to kill your wife

17556639 wife killer

17556639 how to kill a wife

17556639 poop

17556639 dead people

17556639 pictures of dead people

17556639 killed people

17556639 dead pictures

17556639 dead pictures

17556639 dead pictures

17556639 murder photo

17556639 steak and cheese

17556639 photo of death

17556639 photo of death

17556639 death

17556639 dead people photos

17556639 photo of dead people

17556639 http://www.murderdpeople.com

17556639 decapatated photos

17556639 decapatated photos

17556639 car crashes3

17556639 car crashes3

17556639 car crash photo

What do you think this guy was up to? This raises alot of questions, not only about user search privacy but wether the goverment and police can pe-emptivly look at search results. Should user search data be made public? Anyway, what do you guys think?

Personally I was shocked that AOL employees could not realise how badly this is going to turn out for them. I also feel sorry for user 17556639's wife.

AOL keep this info? they are bitches, but then again, don't all the search engines log IPs and what they searched for?

All search engines keep the stuff you search for.

Chris, Digg.com is a great website, isn't it? I get all my news from there. :heh:

lol slashdot actually. I have no-one intelectual to discuse how bad this actually is with. Should AOL even be able to link users to individual seraches? I mean theres got to be a massive invasion of privacy right there. Do the other search engines link users with searchs?

They record the IP address.

Its a little more advanced than that, as many people like myself have dynamic IP's. As for whether they should be allowed, probably not but its no doubt buried somewhere in the Terms and Conditions.

Its a little more advanced than that, as many people like myself have dynamic IP's. As for whether they should be allowed, probably not but its no doubt buried somewhere in the Terms and Conditions.

No, he's saying that other search engines other record IP's, whether they're static or not, whereas AOL keeps a log for each user.

Some of the people searched personal data, social security numbers, addresses etc so they would be easy to identify. Whether or not AOL kept a list of which username and which ID number correspond is unknown.

Won't AOL have broken their own terms and conditions by releasing this?

No, he's saying that other search engines other record IP's, whether they're static or not, whereas AOL keeps a log for each user.

Thats not what i meant, being IP tracked is useless if it changes everytime you access the net.

Ah crap, I better start covering my tracks better. :heh:

Seriously though, I find it quite shocking that such a large company keeps such detailed records on their users, let alone makes them public. It's a bit like BT releasing records all their customers phone conversations. Perhaps tighter government regulation on peoples privacy would be an answer, but of course this will never happen because it would mean the government wouldn't be able to check up on us themselves.

This is bad news for Steak n' Cheese and the other Sick Site Network sites. I hope they dont get alot of shit for this, they get enough to deal with. Editorials are funny as fuck too, as for the videos, meh, seen it all before.

Whether or not this user meant it as a joke I think such things shouldn't be used a pre-determinatial (is that even a word?) evidence.

What I learned from Minority Report is that you shouldn't arrest someone for a crime he hasn't done yet.

I think recording such stats is ok, however, as long as they remain secure - the company shouldn't be allowed to use or view them either - and can only be accessed with certain permission - something like a search warrant but instead of being for the house, for the Internet usage.