NEurope
ipaul

Post your random pointless fact here

Thats why we have alcohol!

Beer: Helping ugly people get laid since 1862! Fact.

That much itelligence could only lead to misery.

It did he was never happy as an adult and eventually died of a cerebral haemorrage. Not surprised.

This guy is so fascinating so I have to post all this:

1) Started feeding himself with a spoon at eight months.

2) Cajoled by Boris, Sidis learned to pronounce alphabetic syllables from blocks hanging in his crib.

3) At six months, William said, "Door." A couple of months later he told his mother he liked things, doors and people, that move.

4)At seven months he pointed to Earth's moon and called it, "moon."

5) Learned to spell efficiently by one year old.

6) Started reading The New York Times at 18 months.

7) Started typing at three. Used his high chair to reach a typewriter. First composed letter was an order for toys from Macy's.

8) Read Caesar's Gallic Wars, in Latin (self-taught), as a birthday present to his Father in Sidis's fourth year.

9) Learned Greek alphabet and read Homer in Greek in his fourth year.

10) Learned Aristotelian logic in his sixth year.

11) At the age of four, Sidis learned Russian, French, German, and Hebrew, and soon after, Turkish and Armenian.

12) Calculated mentally a day any date in history would fall, at age six.

13) Learned Gray's Anatomy at six. Could pass a student medical examination.

14) Started grammar school at six. In three days he was moved to the third grade, and he graduated from grammar school in seven months.

15) Wrote four books between ages of four and eight. Two on anatomy and astronomy are lost.

16) Passed Harvard Medical School anatomy exam at age seven.

17) Passed MIT entrance exam at age eight.

18) Corrected E. V. Huntington's mathematics text galleys at the age of eight.

19) Attempted to enroll in Harvard at eight.

20) At age 10, in one evening, corrected Harvard logic professor Josiah Royce's book manuscript: citing, "wrong paragraphs."

21) Before he was 10 years of age, he was persuing Einstein's theories -- checking for possible errors.

22) Mastered higher mathematics and planetary revolutions by age 11.

23) In 1909, became youngest student to ever enroll at Harvard at age 11.

24) In 1910, at age 11, lectured Harvard Mathematical club on "Four-Dimensional Bodies.'

25) Graduated from Harvard, cum laude, on June 24, 1914, at age 16.

He was pushed too hard as a child and suffered being known as a failure. What a sad story.

BTW I love this thread!!!

Yay! People like the thread I created :grin:

My computer just told me this:

You have a virus: Fact

IT's spyware what free legal programs will get rid of it? (I know I should ask this in the tech board but meh)

The dot above a letter, such as 'i', or 'j', is called a tittle

That is strangely arousing.

Jason Voorhees, the killer with the hockey mask everyone knows, never uses a chainsaw, though many people associate him with it.

Thats why we have alcohol!

Beer: Helping ugly people get laid since 1862! Fact.

bit earlier than that. the worlds first pubs appeared in saxon england in around the 8th century ad. the women used to make a brew of beer at the same time as they made bread. when a brew was ready they took a new branch from a sapling i believe and stuck it poking out above the door on their house so the other villagers knew there was beer on offer and they'd all have a big get together, a singsong and get smashed :P

i actually believe the history of wine making goes back somewhere between 4 and 6 thousand years....

Yay! People like the thread I created :grin:

My computer just told me this:

You have a virus: Fact

IT's spyware what free legal programs will get rid of it? (I know I should ask this in the tech board but meh)

Was it a pop up on a web page? If it was you didn't at the time, but if you clicked on 'OK' you probably do now. Always close the window with the cross.

"Formicophilia" is the fetish for having small insects crawl on your genitals.

The moon is moving away at a tiny, although measurable distance from the earth every year.

Most Corn Flakes come from the USA.

There is a moon orbiting one of the other planets in the solar system that has gravitational pull so powerful if a human being was to stand on the surface, they would instantly be crushed into a greasy blob.

Or something like that.

In some countries Linoleum is a form of currency :wink:

There is a moon orbiting one of the other planets in the solar system that has gravitational pull so powerful if a human being was to stand on the surface, they would instantly be crushed into a greasy blob.

yeah but the same thing would happen if you went into space without a space suit

yeah but the same thing would happen if you went into space without a space suit

I thought you would just explode. Or drift away naked like Peter Griffin.

I thought you would just explode. Or drift away naked like Peter Griffin.

Im pretty sure that you implode in Space.

I think i heard something about this, but you definatly wouldn't die from pressure.

More suffication, you'de last about 5 minutes... 5 rather painful minutes. The whole "leave your suit and explode" has derived from Hollywood i think.

Im in University here for the first time in AAAAAAAAGES......

I cant get onto the GAME site though, so cant purchase anything.......dammit.

Was it a pop up on a web page? If it was you didn't at the time, but if you clicked on 'OK' you probably do now. Always close the window with the cross.

Ah I think it's gone now, the pop up on my computer is no longer there (was in the corner of my screen)

Hmmmmmm..............The dark side of the moon has sold 35 million copies and Pnik Floyd have sold over 200 million albums in total I believe.

I'm pretty sure if youg et flung out into space you explode. Space is a vacuum. Whereas everything in your body would be at atmospheric pressure. Sudden decompression would make your lungs and any trapped air rapidly expand making you explode.

One thing i'm not so sure about is that if you slowly decompressed the atmosphere in an air lock to that of a vacuum whetehr you would explode. I think the air in your lungs would expand slowly enough so that it would just come out of you. So that wouldn't explode. However the pressure difference between fixed fluids, such as the eyeball fluid or blood vessells. This has no room to expand into so i'm pretty sure at any decompression speed that your eyes would pop and you blood vessels would break. you would die from blood loss.

Possibly your skull would pop open too, killing you.

first thing that happens if you're exposed to a vacume is your blood boils off, you don't so much "explode" as cells, blood vessels and all sorts rupture in rapid succession. leading to a very painful and not all that fast death. its not a "ka-splat" type thing as hollywood would have you believe.

the fastest animal is the cheetah

WRONG!

the fastest land animal is a cheetah, the fastest animal is actually the peregrine falcon.

"Formicophilia" is the fetish for having small insects crawl on your genitals.

Surely just ants, due to their abundance of of formic acid (HCOOH). They also live in a formicary. And to quote Ogden Nash- "How could you be calm and placid / If you were full of formic acid?".

WRONG!

the fastest land animal is a cheetah, the fastest animal is actually the peregrine falcon.

He's right, it hits freefall speeds at nearly 260MPH.

Speaking of the speed:

Mach 1: 340.29 m / s

Mach 2: 680.58 m / s

Mach 3: 1 020.87 m / s

A thousand meters a second? Jeeze, no wonder only a single plane has ever reached that.

formic acid is useful stuff, kills off bugs, both the bacterial and creepy crawly kind. many primates use ants to this end, rubbing them and the formic acid on their fur to kill off pests and paprasites. helps to keep them healthy.

Speaking of the speed:

A thousand meters a second? Jeeze, no wonder only a single plane has ever reached that.

more than one actually. been plenty to do it and far faster

WRONG!

ok i stand corrected

Speaking of the speed:

The Blackbird Sr-71 managed over 10,000 hours of Mach 3 flight :p Although it did fly mighty high in the atmosphere where those types of speed are manageable.

I think a few more have done it too.. The space shuttle flies at Mach 17 when it re-enters earth.

the mig 25 foxbat was mach 3 capable and there have been other. don't have the time or inclanation to bother listing them. too busy suppressing the urge to murder my sister for walking around the house blowing rasberries constantly for about 12 hours a day.........