NEurope
ipaul

Post your random pointless fact here

Begin fact.

Aimless and Dabookerman(posters) wants in on that very polite young lady who draws flying whales. Fact.

End fact.

Fact .

How big? Or am I going to have to do some comparing down the canal? Swans are hot.

Fact: Pigs sun-burn.

There is an EU directive stating that the speed of an escalator must be within 2% of the speed of the handrail.

And for a damn good reason, my feet nearly slipped out from beneath me because I was half-sitting on the handrail (it was a moving walkway) and daydreaming in Las Vegas. I could've sued! :laughing:

There are more overweight people than underfed in the world. Makes you think.

taken from this site : http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/math99/math99160.htm

Question - I have heard that if a string were tied tightly around

the earth's equator it would be 25,000 miles long (roughly). If the

string was then cut and six feet was added to the string, and then the

string was stretched an equidistant height off the ground, the string

would be one foot off the ground. I know this is hypothetical, and

involves many generalities (among them the circumference of the earth)

but the math seems to play out.

25,000 x 5280 feet / 2pi = radius of earth in feet

((25,000 x 5280 feet)) + 6 feet) / 2pi = new radius

If we subtract original radius from new radius we get 1 foot.

The word testimony comes from roman times, when Romans would put their hands on their testicles to swear an oath. I'm completly serious.

According to www.paddypower.com....

Wexford are 4-1 outsiders to beat Clare (1-6f) in todays Guinness All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championship Quarter Final in Croke Park, Dublin at 14.15.

There exists a species of crocodile that is genuinely bulletproof. An enraged Hippo however, can easily bite them in half. Fact.

moral of the story: don't fuck with the Hippos. They will bite your shit off.

Heres a totally random one.

Just before you're born your entire body is covered in hair and absoluete crap such as left over cells and such. Then in the womb you eat it all, and that my friends is your first turd.

Yes, this is true. I swear.

Heres a totally random one.

Just before you're born your entire body is covered in hair and absoluete crap such as left over cells and such. Then in the womb you eat it all, and that my friends is your first turd.

Yes, this is true. I swear.

Source? i swaer thats fucked up

It was on QI the other day. I was laughing my head off about it.

You fart twice as much during sleep than when yo're awake.

(I love this thread! (although the first post was a bit stupid))

There exists a species of crocodile that is genuinely bulletproof. An enraged Hippo however, can easily bite them in half. Fact.

moral of the story: don't fuck with the Hippos. They will bite your shit off.

Thats class!:laughing:

I just thought:

If there indeed were 100 billion galaxies, is it possible that there could have been another 'Big Bang' and that the planet could breed life and animals?

It was on QI the other day. I was laughing my head off about it.

I saw QI yesterday, i cant remember that, oh well... i wasnt paying that much attention anyways, werid fact tho.

You fart twice as much during sleep than when yo're awake.

(I love this thread! (although the first post was a bit stupid))

Thats class!:laughing:

I just thought:

If there indeed were 100 billion galaxies, is it possible that there could have been another 'Big Bang' and that the planet could breed life and animals?

The Big Bang created the universe, not the Earth. But yes, it's likely that there's more planets around in the universe where actual life forms (can) exist. To quote some movie (Contact I think?), otherwise it would be an awful waste of space.

In a small Italian city it is illegal to be a prostitute and have the name Mary, You can be a prossi just not called Mary.

I just thought:

There was only one Big Bang in our universe, and there won't be another one as long as dark energy accelerates the galaxies away from each other.

However, there have been billions of billions of smaller events simililar to that of the big bang, which results in the creation of a star. Some of the debris from this will then form planets, and multiple asteroids and other objects.

The amount of planets is likely to be much greater than the amount of stars, and it is VERY likely that a number of them can support life.

A fact ( if you can call it a fact..) , quoted from my cousin:

Well everything that I said in the last paragraph was about "calculations". These calculations are all based on an intensely complicated set of codes and values for our universe (eg e=mc2 c is the constant, the speed of light). Our world is the only world and the best of all possible worlds... in our universe and therefore according to the calculations inbuilt into our universe. Ever heard of parallel universes? Well in a parallel universe some of those values are slightly different. For example the speed of light could be a tiny bit faster. And so the only world and the best of all possible worlds would look slightly different in that universe because theyre using differnt values for their calculations. Now think about this: just as the volume of our universe is infinite, so the number of parallel universes is infinite. Every time something happens that could have happened differently ( eg it is sunny instead of cloudy) a new parallel universe springs into existence where it happened differently. This means that there must have been different calculations and so the values must have been different. So new universes come into existence every milisecond. Cool. But where? THE MULTIVERSE. There are eleven dimensions. The first is very very small (think about it, its just a multicoloured line). The second is fairly cool (read 2Dworld it is a really good book about this dimension. The third is the one we live in. The fourth is quite hard to imagine because we are three dimensional beings but it does exist. and so on up to nine. the tenth is time (apparently). The Multiverse is the eleventh. The multiverse is cool because in it are all the parallel universes. They are all floating around amelessly like bubbles. BUT when two universes collide, they both pop (well actually they explode) and one is created from scratch. Now think about the big bang. The big bang was the first thing that ever happened in our universe and all other universes; a huge explosion caused by two worlds colliding. Our universe could pop at any moment. We do not know when. But if we are creating new universes every second then its more likely that we will pop sooner. "So everyone should stop making decisions cos theyre going to kill us all!" you say. Well tough luck cos parallel universe just got created and where you didnt say that and everyone is creating more by not making decisions. But dont worry because the multiverse is expanding just as fast as the number of parallel universes is. So we're still going to die. This is fun.

they've already found shitloads of planets, just not anything of the right kind to support life as we percieve it. they've only found massive gas giants, similar to say saturn or jupiter. the main reason they haven't found the smaller planets is they can't with current technology. but with launches of other telescopes etc planned in the near future, that will change.

some of their finds to date tho have cancelled out some places for further study, such as solar systems where one of the gas giants has slowly moved inwards from its once distant orbit to one much closer to the star, thus destroying any smaller rocky planets in a closer orbit. i read of one such example where the planet they looked at was that close to the parent star that iron existed as a gas in its atmosphere! that is fucking hot.

also the 4th dimension can be "seen" tho it takes a little understanding. i saw one example as a frame of a cube, stood on one corner i think. light coming in from one side, the 4 dimensional version of the shape was there, seen in the shadow.