NEurope
ipaul

Post your random pointless fact here

If everyone in China jumped at the same time it would knock the earth out of orbit.

If you drained the loch ness you could fit the world's population in it 7 times over.

Cats and dogs are either left or right handed like humans.

All polar bears are left handed.

An average pencil will draw a line 35 miles long or write 50,000 english words.

In Christopher Columbus' time people knew the world was round.

My dog once had green shit.

Lightning strikes 6,000 times per minute on this planet.

The word set has the most definitions in the english language.

The longest place name is the correct name for bangcok(sp?) but i can't remember what it is though.

Dreamt is the only english word that ends in mt.

If you put every molecule of 12 grams of carbon behind each other, it would make up a line of 1050 million kilometers.

Don't you just love Discovery Channel :heh:

polish is the only word in the english language to change its pronounciation when given a capital letter EI Polish the nationality.

can thank steve writes factoids on radio 2 for that a few years ago.

There are more overweight people than underfed in the world. Makes you think.

Ah, but is that just by mass? :heh:

And Sarka's_girly, I think your cousin is a little confused... The multiverse consists of infinite parallel universes, so the dimension set up can be different in every one, leading to infinite variation in number of dimensions. And time isn't the fourth/tenth dimension, it is a potential dimension.

Also, you shouldn't be able to represent a 4D cube in 2D, in the the same way that you can't represent an 3D cube in 1D. You can make a 3D net of a 4D cube, and you might be able to represent a 4D cube in 3D.

Also, you shouldn't be able to represent a 4D cube in 2D, in the the same way that you can't represent an 3D cube in 1D. You can make a 3D net of a 4D cube, and you might be able to represent a 4D cube in 3D.

look up that 4th dimension thiny, i forget where i saw it now, but that whole shadow of a 3d cube frame did "work" my explanation from a shady memory just sucked tho :P

I always thought that 4D was time. It seemed to make sense but I never looked into it.

Also why do people study 4D when we hardly know anything about this dimension. And how can people be "experts" of 4D when (and correct me if i'm wrong) nobody truly knows what 4D is.

according to einstein there were 4 dimensions, 3 of space and 1 of time. theories have changed since then. this multiverse and multi dimension thing is more new.

far as i know tho, the whole space and time being linked as "spacetime" remains tho. meaning if all space exists, so does all time, therefore there is "fate" but at the same time, this is canceled out of sorts by the multiverse. as our "choices" are mapped out in all their variations in various universes...

Chrono Trigger sold over 2 million copies in Japan, yet was never released in Europe due to Squaresoft being BASTARDS!

The music in the European version of Super Mario Bros. for the NES is faster than the music in the American version for some strange reason. I'd love to know why.

The McMillan TAC-50 long range sniper rifle (USA) is credited with longest range documented kill on enemy soldier: in 2003, a Canadian sniper shot and killed an Afghani taliban insurgent from the range of 2430 meters (nearly one and a half mile).

polish is the only word in the english language to change its pronounciation when given a capital letter EI Polish the nationality.

can thank steve writes factoids on radio 2 for that a few years ago.

what about reading?

As in 'I was reading a book' and 'yesterday I went to Reading'

Surely thats the same thing!?

Ok to the people who answered my question:

I obviously didnt research much on the big bang but anyway -

There could be more humans living somewhere in these 100 Billion galaxies, but we'd never know, its too far. There surely must be more than 1 planet which brings life and suitable living conditions.

It would be stupid to think that one tiny planet in the middle of the universe is the centre of the only thinking minds and plants etc

Baffles me...

you appear to have found a hole in steve writes factoids, you'd better point this one out to him, any way, the rifle fact is far cooler :P

what about reading?

As in 'I was reading a book' and 'yesterday I went to Reading'

Surely thats the same thing!?

I pronounce them the same.

Ok to the people who answered my question:

I obviously didnt research much on the big bang but anyway -

There could be more humans living somewhere in these 100 Billion galaxies, but we'd never know, its too far. There surely must be more than 1 planet which brings life and suitable living conditions.

It would be stupid to think that one tiny planet in the middle of the universe is the centre of the only thinking minds and plants etc

Baffles me...

Well there must be more than 100 billion galaxies because the universe is infinite. Therefore there are a infinite number of planets, which in turn, must mean there is an infinite possibility of over human beings in the Universe.

Star Trek: Enterprise was the first Trek series to be broadcast in HD.

according to einstein there were 4 dimensions, 3 of space and 1 of time. theories have changed since then. this multiverse and multi dimension thing is more new.

far as i know tho, the whole space and time being linked as "spacetime" remains tho. meaning if all space exists, so does all time, therefore there is "fate" but at the same time, this is canceled out of sorts by the multiverse. as our "choices" are mapped out in all their variations in various universes...

What Einstein proposed was that time was a fourth dimension, rather than the fourth dimension. Gravity is also an example of a fourth dimension- all masses cause a "dip" into spacetime in the direction of the fourth dimension, thus drawing other masses towards them.

And the fourth dimension can be worked out simply by extrapolation: 1D- side to side, 2D- side to side, backward and forwards, 3D- side to side, backwards and forwards, up and down, 4D- backwards and forwards, up and down, and an additional direction.

its been 5 years since i did any physics or anything :P

If everyone in China jumped at the same time it would knock the earth out of orbit.

No way is that true. Not if an atomic bomb doesn't. Anyway they're tiny

If you drained the loch ness you could fit the world's population in it 7 times over.

Again No way unless you mean everyone was flattened and all the air (between particles and all) was removed

All polar bears are left handed.

:hmm:

In Christopher Columbus' time people knew the world was round.

I swear they didn't

My dog once had green shit.

Mine had a red one ::shrug:

Dreamt is the only english word that ends in mt.

That's on penguin wrappers :grin:

Anyway my fact...

It is illeagal to refuse water to anyone who asks for it from your home. i.e. if someone knocks on your door and asks for water it's illeagal to turn them away.

This sentence is false.

My head hurts :hmm:

Fact; Tsunami's travel at similar speeds to jet planes

In India, there is a bill of rights for cows, and people are also legally allowed to marry a dog (yes, I know, but hold it in).

Emu's and Kangaroos are incapable of walking backwards

It is estimated that at any one time, 0.7% of the worlds population is drunk. (Laaaaame)