NEurope
YenRug

Eternal Darkness Trilogy - May we yet get to see it?

I think there has been an ED thread in here before, but I went back 10 pages and couldn't see it and the search function kept 404'ing me. Anyway, it seems like SK do have plans for further ED games:

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3152021

Eternal Darkness Universe May Expand

With Too Human's trilogy coming, don't expect them soon.

by Patrick Klepek, 07/07/2006

Denis Dyack is certainly ambitious. Not long after a slew of negative E3 impressions for the first installment in his Too Human trilogy on Xbox 360, Dyack's already taken to his IGN blog and confirmed Silicon Knights "absolutely yes" has sequels in mind for their cult Eternal Darkness horror adventure game, originally in development for Nintendo 64 before releasing on GameCube early in its lifespan.

"When creating an original game we start by conceptualizing an entire universe. Once the universe is conceptualized we then tell a story within that world," he says. "Although this [Eternal Darkness 1] is just one story we had in mind for the Eternal Darkness universe, there are even more manipulations, great ancients, and numerous other stories to tell..."

The outspoken developer continues on by describing how their plans for Eternal Darkness tie into Too Human, as well; the upcoming trilogy represents an evolution of the studio's concept for Eternal Darkness. Instead of holding off on sequel treatments, however, they've instead decided to plan an overarching three-part story from day one.

"We believe that an important part of making a trilogy successful is that each of its parts is self contained. Because we want each game to be a complete experience on its own, the major plot lines will be resolved at the end of each game," he concludes.

And the actual Blog post:

http://blogs.ign.com/silicon-knights/2006/07/06/24044/

Creating Universes - Blog #10

Denis Dyack

Director

I am most often asked if we have sequels in mind for Eternal Darkness. The answer is absolutely yes. Although this may not be obvious to those outside of Silicon Knights, anyone inside the guild understands that there is really no other answer. When creating an original game we start by conceptualizing an entire universe. Once the universe is conceptualized we then tell a story within that world.

For example, in Eternal Darkness we created a universe in which imprisoned ancients were struggling to regain entry into our world. We created a hierarchy of these Ancients, Great Ancients, and other minor players and then built the story around how three of them may slowly succeed in doing so. Their instrument is Pious Augustus, a roman centurion, who eventually becomes a powerful undead liche. Ironically, this immortal character is nothing but a pawn. Dispite the fact that he has very powerful magick and lived for over two millennia, his power is still nothing compared to that of the wizened Ancients. This type of scope and scale is what we try to create in all of our universes.

Although this is just one story we had in mind for the Eternal Darkness universe, there are even more manipulations, great ancients, and numerous other stories to tell…

So, this brings us to Too Human. When we first announced the trilogy we were asked why we chose to tell the story in three installments. The answer is simple really.

After creating numerous worlds over the years, developing a trilogy is just a natural progression in our game making process. Eternal Darkness and Too Human all fall under the same umbrella of universes that we created. We have many stories to tell within these worlds so this time around we felt it was time to tell more than just one.

In the Too Human Trilogy there will be one over-arching storyline told throughout the three games. But, within each game many other stories will also be explored, including the rise of the giants, the creation of sentient weapons, the mystery of the runes, the mysteries of the World Tree as well as many more. The fact that we have the opportunity to give gamers so much insight into this universe is extremely exciting for us.

We believe that an important part of making a trilogy successful is that each of its parts is self contained. Because we want each game to be a complete experience on its own, the major plot lines will be resolved at the end of each game. Without giving too much away, I can tell you that the theme of each installment will be ‘discovery’, ‘revenge’ and ‘enlightenment’ respectively. We hope that you will enjoy exploring the Too Human universe as much as we love to create it.

Considering Nintendo published and hold the rights to ED...

They NEED to make more Eternal Darkness games. I think my heart skipped a beat when i saw the topic title. :)

Nintendo published the title, they own, or did own, the rights together. That would have been negotiated when the two split, and one would have got everything. If Silicon Knights did, it will go the way of the 360.

I was under the impression that SK would have retained all rights to Eternal Darkness.

I really can't see it being on the Wii............although it could depend on if Too Human flops big time when it gets released for the 360.

Still, any sequal would be years away from now.

In fact I don't think that nintendo has ED rights... just the that alucination feature of the game, but I'm not sure...

in the eternal darknes manual it reads

all rights including the copyrights of game, scenario, music and program, reserved by nintendo.

doesn't say anything about the name tm or charactors.

i would love to see an eternal darkness sequel.

i mean, the end just screamed it out anyway!

in the eternal darknes manual it reads

all rights including the copyrights of game, scenario, music and program, reserved by nintendo.

doesn't say anything about the name tm or charactors.

That's the standard Nintendo copyright notice (atleast I think, I've seen it elsewhere) and I think name and characters are included in game and scenario.

It'll be released on the 360 if we're ever going to see it. Eternal Darkness is not a Nintendo franchise, I can't see Nintendo having taken that franchise when they split up.

I'd love to see an ED trilogy. Though it's natch that it won't see the light of day anytime soon, and obvious that we'll never see it on a Nintendo console.

More sanity effects and multiple story paths would be a great idea if they do continue the series, the original got too tiresome after a run through. Having to replay exactly the same game three times just for the true ending took the piss.

I dunno how they'd carry on the story, mind....

...After all, there was only Mantorok left in the true ending, all the other Ancients killed each other off. The end of Edwards dialouge ("Now it will languish forever, festering in its tomb... plotting...") does give a strong hint, but I still dunno how they'd continue with only one of the Ancients.

Maybe they'll choose to remake ED? It would make some sense too. After all, Too Human is going to take years, so I doubt we'll see ED in this next gen...

...After all, there was only Mantorok left in the true ending, all the other Ancients killed each other off. The end of Edwards dialouge ("Now it will languish forever, festering in its tomb... plotting...") does give a strong hint, but I still dunno how they'd continue with only one of the Ancients.

Maybe they'll choose to remake ED? It would make some sense too. After all, Too Human is going to take years, so I doubt we'll see ED in this next gen...

Who is saying those 3 + Mantorok was the only Ancients? It's just the only Ancients that acted now, other's perhaps waited, plotted something else etc

new interview with denis dyak about Eternal Darkness:

Perhaps ironically, the game itself was playing with minds before it even shipped. "It was pretty scary getting that through testing, as well, because Nintendo is a hardware manufacturer. They would look at it and go, 'How many calls are we going to get about this game?'"

Though I'd been told he was tired of sequel questions, I tried a nudge, asking which stories he'd really like to tell, and as I expected, I was rebuffed. Almost. "Ooh," he says, laughing like a man who just parried an unexpected strike. "I don't think I can go into that. Secrets for the future. But one of the things we lightly touched upon, and some people have discovered, there actually is a fifth Old One in the game that's really alluded to, which is the proponent of yellow magic. And explaining that stuff and the mythos, there's a lot more to tell, [like] why have the Ancients been imprisoned, those kinds of things. It's just the tip of the iceberg, where we need to expand the universe and stuff. There's a lot more to tell."

The full interview can be found here:

-> http://www.escapistmagazine.com/issue/60/17

(various pages)

Wii sequel please.

Shame it sold so poorly though, reducing the already very minimal chances of ED2 appearing on Wii even more...

Shame it sold so poorly though, reducing the already very minimal chances of ED2 appearing on Wii even more...
It didn't sell that bad, it's not like it's a rare game.
Major bumpage.

It won't be on Wii.

Why not, if they're going to make a sequel and so much people didn't play the first why not making a nintendo home console version? it's were ED is in the first place.

Besides Nintendo has some rights to the ED franchise, don't be so negative people, it might even happen that SK will loose all this gen in Too Human triology, and a ED sequel might come to Wii sucessor, it's not like they were bought by Microsoft (not yet).

It didn't sell that bad, it's not like it's a rare game.Why not, if they're going to make a sequel and so much people didn't play the first why not making a nintendo home console version? it's were ED is in the first place.

Besides Nintendo has some rights to the ED franchise, don't be so negative people, it might even happen that SK will loose all this gen in Too Human triology, and a ED sequel might come to Wii sucessor, it's not like they were bought by Microsoft (not yet).

Are you serious? Did you even read the way he spoke? Do you know his opinion towards the 360?

The way Dyack is speaking in this interview pretty much says "Eternal Darkness is ours, we don't quite know what we want to do with it yet".

He and Nintendo don't see eye to eye as it is, despite him attempting to demonstrate 'respect' for Nintendo.

And here's why he has been sold to Microsoft. He not just invested the first of the Too Human trilogy to the 360, but the entire trilogy to Microsoft platforms. Confirmation of this sell off is further demonstrated by the fact development was moved from a Nintendo console to a non Nintendo console.

Furthermore is the fact he put this gigantic project on an unproven platform. Remember that Nintendo and Microsoft were both in second place last generation, a few million or so consoles does not define that position, tens of millions does. Microsoft is no more a proven medium than Nintendo in realistic terms, and definitly not as proven as Sony when it comes to user base.

At the moment, even with all the crap that Sony has had to digest for the PS3, analysts are still backing that paperweight. People will know how I feel about anylists, but they are a business tool. But still Dyack moved to a less stable console.

That is why Eternal Darkness will not be on a Nintendo Wii, and why Dyack has been sold to Microsoft.

Are you serious? Did you even read the way he spoke? Do you know his opinion towards the 360?

The way Dyack is speaking in this interview pretty much says "Eternal Darkness is ours, we don't quite know what we want to do with it yet".

He and Nintendo don't see eye to eye as it is, despite him attempting to demonstrate 'respect' for Nintendo.

And here's why he has been sold to Microsoft. He not just invested the first of the Too Human trilogy to the 360, but the entire trilogy to Microsoft platforms. Confirmation of this sell off is further demonstrated by the fact development was moved from a Nintendo console to a non Nintendo console.

Furthermore is the fact he put this gigantic project on an unproven platform. Remember that Nintendo and Microsoft were both in second place last generation, a few million or so consoles does not define that position, tens of millions does. Microsoft is no more a proven medium than Nintendo in realistic terms, and definitly not as proven as Sony when it comes to user base.

At the moment, even with all the crap that Sony has had to digest for the PS3, analysts are still backing that paperweight. People will know how I feel about anylists, but they are a business tool. But still Dyack moved to a less stable console.

That is why Eternal Darkness will not be on a Nintendo Wii, and why Dyack has been sold to Microsoft.

I disagree, yes I know about all that and I'm not all happy about dyak's behaviour.

but Too Human is a graphics driven game from what we saw, since it was meant to the PSone, they might have felt that doing it for Nintendo Wii would sacrifice it (despite their in-house graphics never being much over average), also they wanted Nintendo to pay bigger budgets, on microsoft you don't get limited like that, just look at rare, they can loose 5 years doing a crap game now.

Still, it doesn't mean they won't come back... unlike rare they weren't bought yet, they might do a multi-platform game later on, or a exclusive, depending on how much Eternal Darkness trademarks Nintendo owns. I'm just not writing them off the map.

As for "less stable" console... Microsoft has the bucks, no doubt about it.

*thread resurrect*

BIZ: Is a true Eternal Darkness sequel coming? Can you talk about that?

DD: I can't comment on the titles that are upcoming. I can say without question, and I said this in my blog, we've planned and created an entire universe around Eternal Darkness and a sequel is very doable and very possible. I think at the end of the day, it's going to take the right time and the right things to come together to make that happen. But usually when we create games, we create more than one. So we've talked and planned about it quite a bit.

Source: http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=15712

I really can't see it being on the Wii............although it could depend on if Too Human flops big time when it gets released for the 360.

I really doubt Too Human will flop. People have high expectations for it and the demo they showed was stupidly unfinnished.

http://blogs.ign.com/Matt-IGN/2007/03/22/50045/

Edit: I didn't realise how old this thread was...:heh:

They NEED to make more Eternal Darkness games. I think my heart skipped a beat when i saw the topic title. :)

You too...?

Im sure I felt myself getting slightly moist as well.

A sequel would be awesome, I'm currently playing through ED at the moment. but I just don't think it is likely that Silicon Knights would be working on it anytime soon.

If you take a listen to the EGM Live podcast he appeared on, you will hear him talk about it, he is far more diplomatic about it, and doesn't say as much as some people seem to think. Also if I remember rightly he does talk about the rights and they are jointly owned...

I doubt we'll see any more of Eternal Darkness. Silicon Knights are unlikely to release it as a Nintendo exclusive and Nintendo are unlikely to part with their portion of the rights.

Only way i can see it is if Microsoft buy Silicon Knights, in this case Nintendo would sell them the rights that they own