Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles

Goron_3

I think it looks good, but it still has those annoying spot shadows. One of the strongest aspects of the RE games is the lighting. It just looks odd, especially when early on in that first clip a lightning flash throws shadows of the scenery around but not of the zombies. I hope they implement proper shadows before release.

I'll probably still buy it regardless, I love lightgun games, but proper shadows will add a lot to the atmosphere for me.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im glad both RE:UC and Ghost Squad are supporting the Wii Zapper. I've always enjoyed lightgun games. Sure, it may not have the longevity of a 'regular' game, but it does have lots of replayability, especially if there's multiplayer support and hi-scores to beat.

I can see myself buying both of them. RE:UC seem to have many little subtleties to it, being able look around you to find new ammo and health. Should be interesting.

The thing about the Zapper though, isn't it just a shell, sure it makes things more practical for lightgun games, but how can a game be "designed" to use it? Surely you could still play without it, the only control different i can see is that it restricts the motion control of the nunchuck seeing as it's now "attached" to the wiimote?

Im glad both RE:UC and Ghost Squad are supporting the Wii Zapper. I've always enjoyed lightgun games. Sure, it may not have the longevity of a 'regular' game, but it does have lots of replayability, especially if there's multiplayer support and hi-scores to beat.

I can see myself buying both of them. RE:UC seem to have many little subtleties to it, being able look around you to find new ammo and health. Should be interesting.

Yeah I feel the same way kinda although I wouldn't pay full price on it right now, I'm hoping the Zapper comes out close to and they bundle them together for a saving (unlucky considering rumours the zapper will bundle with a shooter anyway, bet its like wiiplay but for the zapper.)

Yeah I feel the same way kinda although I wouldn't pay full price on it right now, I'm hoping the Zapper comes out close to and they bundle them together for a saving (unlucky considering rumours the zapper will bundle with a shooter anyway, bet its like wiiplay but for the zapper.)

It was announced at the press conference, that the Zapper would be bundled with a game, for about 20 dollar, IIRC.

It was announced at the press conference, that the Zapper would be bundled with a game, for about 20 dollar, IIRC.

Yeah I know that, I didn't really explain properly I meant if stores let you buy them cheaper if at the same time as the Zapper...

The thing about the Zapper though, isn't it just a shell, sure it makes things more practical for lightgun games, but how can a game be "designed" to use it? Surely you could still play without it, the only control different i can see is that it restricts the motion control of the nunchuck seeing as it's now "attached" to the wiimote?

Exactly my thoughts.

I think the Zapper will be a gimmick like that steering while from Ubisoft. It makes it harder to reach some buttons but when the games are designed around it, it can be fun and as long as it's bundled there's not much of a choice anyway.

I for one am looking forward to it.

What annoyes me though it that we won't have real lightgun feeling with the zapper because it's still the wiimote and so aiming won't work 1:1

Yeah I think it is just a way of getting people feeling like they are using a gun...

I thought it was meant to have a feature that meant reloading was done by sort of clipping out the wiimote, kinda make it more interactive, but every video of Resi: UC I have seen has had the player just shaking it...

I thought it was meant to have a feature that meant reloading was done by sort of clipping out the wiimote, kinda make it more interactive, but every video of Resi: UC I have seen has had the player just shaking it...

Doesn't shaking use the knife, though?

Doesn't shaking use the knife, though?

Saw another movie, and shaking it for the knife is kinda context sensitive, like it flashed up on the screen and a swipe was done and a knife was drawn. So dunno have definitly seen people reloading by shaking the zapper.

Saw another movie, and shaking it for the knife is kinda context sensitive, like it flashed up on the screen and a swipe was done and a knife was drawn. So dunno have definitly seen people reloading by shaking the zapper.

Pointing off screen reloads, as in all light gun games that I care to remember. Yeah, not HotD 3, because that was a shotgun, but all the others!

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I was thinking about it and originally thought the Zapper would be brilliant for FPS games in changing the way we play them. The mouse-keyboard combo cannot be beat by an analogue joypad, but I could see the mounting of what is effectively a lightgun combined with an analogue stick as a good alternative, but you really would need to make sure the control scheme was Zapper-specific, because from what I've read some FPS games are using movement of the Wiimote to the screen edge to facilitate a look as opposed to aiming in-screen, but some use the d-pad, which clearly wouldn't work with the Zapper.

It looks like a brilliant substitute for a lightgun. I mean, modern LCD/Plasma displays just won't work with a traditional lightgun; since the Wiimote can control on-screen cursor movement, why not leverage that and do away with an expensive dedicated peripheral, when you can have a cheap frame like the Zapper that achieves the same purpose with the controls you already have, or don't and still be able to play the game? This seems much more in line with the Wii philosophy. I'd be very surprised to see any game which _requires_ an optional peripheral to play it over the Wiimote.

What annoyes me though it that we won't have real lightgun feeling with the zapper because it's still the wiimote and so aiming won't work 1:1

What annoys me is people don't realise we won't have lightguns ever again. Lightguns do not work with LCD or Plasma displays, they ONLY work with CRTs.

What annoys me is people don't realise we won't have lightguns ever again. Lightguns do not work with LCD or Plasma displays, they ONLY work with CRTs.
Time Crisis 4 with Guncoms says hi.

There's workarounds even if the technology isn't the same (through photodiodes) anymore. It'll keep on existing.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!