NEurope
Goron_3

Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles

Can't wait to pick this up been itching to see what it brings to the table in terms of story etc... Now the zapper is out once I've got some games completed I think I will defo pick this up.

the game is cool barely above average and thats only because i am a resident evil fan i fucking hate those vomit spitting zombies so fucking annoying when trying to get a critical hit.

Im always suprised at how many people thought Resi 2 was great. I remember waiting for ages to get it, i remember getting the demo with Resident Evil: Directors Cut, and i remember feeling let down when i played the game... Hmmm maybe i need to go back and have another go now im a bit older.

There's a few main reasons I can think of:

1. Characters. - Leon and Claire were very popular with fans in general, supporting cast is great and has some depth, one of the main bosses in the game isn't just a random mutated monster, it's actually a character with his own background and relation to other characters in the cast.

2. Replayability. - How many games let you play not only play 2 separate stories based on the different routes 2 characters took, but also the alternate scenario for what would have happened if they'd ended up taking each others routes and how it affected the story? Hardcore gamers always want as much replay value as possible, so here comes RE2 with 4 paths in the storymode (and the A and B scenarios are really drastically different, essentially different games entirely), tons of unlockable weapons and outfits and also unlockable minigames, where you get to play as new characters (Hunk and Tofu) in yet another new addition to what's already a very fleshed out story.

3. Scare factor. - In my eyes at least and I'm sure several others, this is still the scariest RE game. The reason for that was mainly because it has plenty of "random thing happens to make you shit yourself" moments but in my eyes those work amazingly. When I was playing through the B scenario I'd been told that at some point Mr. X was going to smash through a wall beside me and it left me scared shitless most of the game in anticipation, because shock moments always make me jump. It eventually happened when I least expected it and I threw the controller out of my hands screaming, much to the amusement of other people in the room.

4. Setting - In the original RE, you have many references to Raccoon City but you're never actually in the city itself. RE2 was the first to take you there and see the true devastation the virus was spreading on the streets and how absolutely no one was safe. The police station wasn't quite as vast as the mansion but it was immensly memorable in its own right and it was amazing how many dark secrets it held within and everything that it turned out to be linked to.

I'd go on and on but I'm getting lazy already but I mean there's tons of reasons the game is amazing. The story as a whole, the new creatures and weapons, memorable music that set the tone perfectly and more classic horribly bad voice acting. It was a fantastic sequel and the only things I'd say it doesn't have over the original are that the mansion was a more memorable setting as a whole as it's a fantastic concept letting you explore all the secret nooks and crannies of a giant house filled with monsters, traps and puzzles, though I still love Raccoon City just as much. The other would be that as a sequel that didn't break new ground, it didn't feel startlingly fresh, though this was never a "problem" so much until around when 0 eventually came out, which was the point where the traditional formula was wearing a bit thin.

Anyway to truly appreciate RE2 though it had to be played at the time I think too, as it's the oldest RE title that hasn't been updated in some form.

Anyway to truly appreciate RE2 though it had to be played at the time I think too, as it's the oldest RE title that hasn't been updated in some form.

Because of this, I think many people are hoping to see a remake of this title on Wii. Let's be realistic here, RE5 on Wii probably won't happen. I do believe we'll see another RE title down the road, as RE4 has shown incredible legs in the US and RE:UC doing decent numbers.

An entirely new game would take too much time for Capcom, but they do have the RE4 engine up and running. RE2 hasn't been updated yet, new Wii owners are already introduced to Leon and Ada, the character models are essentially already in place...

It's just so natural. Hopefully we'll see it happen. At least make the N64 edition available in the VC shop. I've always wanted to play it, but it was way too expensive back then. Playing RE:UC really re-invigorated my interest in the RE storyline. Well actually RE4 did that already :P

1. Characters.

Yeah looking back i remember Leon/Claire, Sherry Birkin, William Birkin, Ada Wong and some returning cast from RE1. I remember clicking on a photo film in the S.T.A.R.S office aswell, it got you a secret picture of Rebecca Chambers playing basketball :) The main boss was... William Birkin infected with the G Virus he didnt want umbrella to have. The story was good, the characters good.

2. Replayability.

Now im thinking back to when i played it, its what 8 years old? Maybe 7? So i would have been 13/14 ish so my memory of it might not be at its best.... but i dont remember that much of a difference between Scenario A and Scenario B. I played through all 4 scenarios (And the extra Hunk and Tofu ^^) and i remember finding it a bit tedious on the 4th run through....

3. Scare factor.

Now i thought this was missing from RE2 & RE3. I dont remember many moment from RE2 that had me jumping (Maybe the licker at window). I thought CV got RE back on track for the scares, the spider in CV running under the ice is possibly the most eerie thing i have ever seen, and that game made me need regular underwear changes! The big moments i remember in RE2 are:

First shop as claire, Zombies eat the owner.

Mr X chasing sherry.

Birkin changing into a huge pulsating vagina at the end.

First licker.

Huge croc.

Again its been a while so i might have missed some.

4. Setting

Yeah i remember all the hype about playing in Racoon City "A whole city awaits you!" and the adverts for it.... Maybe because i liked RE1 so much, maybe because i havnt played RE2 in so long, but i just remember feeling dissapointed. I might have to play again just to try and remember why i didnt like it >.<

I also have RE:UC to try out now, iv done the first level on normal got an A to start so im happy. The game seems decent enough, just a little sluggish at aiming, and the crits dont seem to be rolling in yet.

I really enjoyed this game. I picked up my second nunchuk and game last week due to the fact I was done with uni work, and me and my mate went through most of the game. I was, however, extremely annoyed with Resident Evil 3 scenarios. My mate who had only played the Outbreak games before didn't really know the story but was enjoying it too. I have played all but the Outbreak series (didn't have a PS2 at the time, do now though, so may invest some cash into them).

When we played the Resident Evil 3 scenario I soon discovered seconds after passing J's bar that we weren't following the conventional route. I was feeling neutral at this stage, looking forward to Brad's moment of demise. However this moment never came, and soon I was hearing echoes from my friend saying "AAAAH THIS PART IS FROM OUTBREAK". I did enjoy the difficulty of the scenarios, and it was quite funny when we finally got to the police station and I went "Finally!!" out loud, but yet we still did not follow the route of Resi 3 and didn't meet any of the mercenaries (bar Carlos), go to the clock tower, the hospital or the abandoned labs, and was totally underwhelmed.

Just to add, I really don't like the adaptation of Carlos' voice actor being american. I preferred the cheesy original Spanish American accent, was funny.:heh:

Completed this the other day just file hunting now. really enjoyed it, still do, got loadsa replay value.

I finally got to play this today. Glad somebody else bumped this thread, as I was midway through posting in this this afternoon but had to go out.

My cousin brought the game around, and we played a bit of Co-op. I've only played it briefly, so just the Zero stuff. So far, I'm loving it. It's pretty addictive, and it's not just a "blast everything you can see on screen" affair. There are moments where nothing happens, and it leaves you thinking "ooo, whats next?"

I'm just happy the shotgun is in their. I'm a bit of a nerd with that weapon in Resi games. :D

It's also pretty funking cool to be playing as Billy, again. That has truely made my day. Can't wait to play more of this now. :D

I've been playing this game to death (no pun intended) recently, and I'm trying to S rank all the levels on hard mode. All I've got left to do is all the levels on the 4th scenario, then I'm done.

It's been a challenge so far, but the last scenario is just bastard-hard! Shitloads of zombies at once and the acid spitting zombies get in the way of attempting critical hits. Seriously, this makes the RE3 scenario look easy!

EDIT: I DID IT!! I FINALLY DID IT!!! ALL S RANKS, AND INFINITE AMMO IS MIIIINE!!!! :grin:

i got all s ranks as well and with unlimted ammo the game just became boring in my opinion i just wish this game was in third person instead of 1st.

Hello! Nemesis is the scariest Resi character, I mean, you never know when that dude's gonna appear!

and it's not just a "blast everything you can see on screen" affair.

I'm sorry, but you're wrong. It doesn't make the game less great though.

I'm sorry, but you're wrong. It doesn't make the game less great though.

There were plenty of moments when I played where you didn't need to shoot at all, it's definitely not like most other games of this type where an enemy pops up every five seconds.

And even when there were enemies, we had more luck taking them down by picking our shots carefully, and you do get enough time to do so in this game. It made boss fights a lot more intense, this way.

That was my main worry with this game before I played it, that it would just turn into a shooting-fest with enemies popping up left-right and centre.

This game's pretty tough even on Normal with 2 players. Granted neither of us has played much of it. I'm still struggling to get into this game. I need to get to the mansion.

There were plenty of moments when I played where you didn't need to shoot at all, it's definitely not like most other games of this type where an enemy pops up every five seconds.

And even when there were enemies, we had more luck taking them down by picking our shots carefully, and you do get enough time to do so in this game. It made boss fights a lot more intense, this way.

That was my main worry with this game before I played it, that it would just turn into a shooting-fest with enemies popping up left-right and centre.

What I meant was that you have to keep shooting when all enemies are gone to destroy all destructible objects.

I am so impressed with this game, I was looking forward to it, but after all the reviews and some opinions I thought it was going to be lacking. But god it isn't - I've been playing co-op with my girlfriend all the way through the third chapter - it stops you from going any further until you do the one player Wesker and Rebecca missions (I'm presming Ive not done it yet). Also started one player on hard but only did the first 2 levels from zero. Anyway, the game is amasing, it LOOKS amazing, the atmosphere is stunning and the pace is great - I love the slow bits, I love how hard it is and I love the atmosphere. It's just a great game.

And yes, shit with the zapper (which I like) as the waggling and relaoding is too awkward.

My brother picked this one up the other day. I have to say I wasn't excepting much but I'm actually rather impressed. It's really, really fun. Loving the Co-Op though I have the same problem with it that I had with Wii Play Shooting Gallery - namely that I find it difficult to follow my crosshair without getting confused with the other players. At first I thought the graphics were extremely PS2-like but after seeing it running on the HD screen with component cables it looks a lot, lot better. One game that definitely gains a lot from 480p. I just wish that they had included the option the remove the crosshairs and play as a pure light gun game, much like Ghost Squad has.

Hopefully we'll see it happen. At least make the N64 edition available in the VC shop. I've always wanted to play it, but it was way too expensive back then.

I got that on my N64, it was one of my most played games on it, was my first RE too and how i fell in love with the series.... i'd imagine that would be one hell of a file to d/l though as it was the biggest (byte size wise) N64 cart. Can't remember how big it was but i'd imagine it would take up a sizable amount of the Wii's space.

I was dissapointed to not see any RE2 in UC, but if we got a Wii-exclusive REmake2 that would be awesome.

Anyway, back on topic....

Has anyone managed to beat that zombie shooting gallery mini game... what happens when you finish it, cuz i suck at it, can't get past the 5th round :heh:

I got that on my N64, it was one of my most played games on it, was my first RE too and how i fell in love with the series.... i'd imagine that would be one hell of a file to d/l though as it was the biggest (byte size wise) N64 cart. Can't remember how big it was but i'd imagine it would take up a sizable amount of the Wii's space.

I was dissapointed to not see any RE2 in UC, but if we got a Wii-exclusive REmake2 that would be awesome.

Has anyone managed to beat that zombie shooting gallery mini game... what happens when you finish it, cuz i suck at it, can't get past the 5th round :heh:

in answer to your question about the catridge size it was 500MB so that would kinda rule it out as a download.

in answer to your question about the catridge size it was 500MB so that would kinda rule it out as a download.

That's 512 Megabits, remember, which is around 64 Megabytes.

Yes, they did manage to compress 2 CDs worth (I'm estimating around 800 MegaBytes-100 GigaBytes) into a 64 Megabyte cartridge, including nearly all the FMV videos (they had to compress them quite a bit (although from what I can gather they still looked pretty good), and a few less significant ones were removed), I think they kept the Voice-Acting in (if there was any in the first place), and the graphics actually look better than the original.

Definatly was a technological masterpiece, and it proved that the N64 was capable of FMVs and such.

I warn you guys though, it's hard to emulate, since no emulator can emulate the FMVs yet.

I am so impressed with this game, I was looking forward to it, but after all the reviews and some opinions I thought it was going to be lacking. But god it isn't - I've been playing co-op with my girlfriend all the way through the third chapter - it stops you from going any further until you do the one player Wesker and Rebecca missions (I'm presming Ive not done it yet). Also started one player on hard but only did the first 2 levels from zero. Anyway, the game is amasing, it LOOKS amazing, the atmosphere is stunning and the pace is great - I love the slow bits, I love how hard it is and I love the atmosphere. It's just a great game.

And yes, shit with the zapper (which I like) as the waggling and relaoding is too awkward.

Got this today!

Highly praised and rightly so. It is very fun, although headshots are pretty random to pull off. Played this in co-op with a couple of peeps who came round earlier, was quality. Even my Dad had a go lol.

I can see it getting annoying if you have to repeat sections more than 3 times, but oh well. Fun atm, normal mode btw.

Thats amazing, I just played the snake boss level 1 player and that is some serious fun. Love it!

I would love to see Billy return to the series, hes a far better character than say Carlos from R Evil 3.

But Carlos had cool cheesey lines. :heh:

the game is cool barely above average and thats only because i am a resident evil fan i fucking hate those vomit spitting zombies so fucking annoying when trying to get a critical hit.

why do people write like this im pretty sure no one speaks like it its just stupid an nonsence surely you read it back and cant even read it yourself

Just beat this game, I have to go back now and get all the S ranks. Pretty good and got a lot better the more I settled into it. I really enjoyed the Wesker missions, and I think it tied up quite a few lose ends, but it actually makes me want to go buy RE2 and RE3 on the cube!

How the hell does everyone get so good at this, I must suck. I get great completion time, great kill rate but mostly poor on everything else. I just find it too much when you have to shoot objects and people at the same time, it should be made obvious to you which lights and stuff have items/files in them.

Anyone have tips for me cause Im finding this difficult to get good grades. I'll usually complete the level but without achieving a great deal.

Also are the enemies constantly the same? Ive got to the end of the mansion incident and raccon destruction, so im completing the wesker missions, but the green goblin things and dogs repeat in every level. Where's the variety? Bosses are solid, some you have to be pin-point whilst moving and is very tricky. 2 player is piss however, basically you just have fun murking everybody.