N-Europe

What could have been done to help GC sales?

The DS lite ads on Channel 4 are brilliant! The best yet and a great idea for an advert...they stick in your mind. The new Nintendogs advert is pretty tacky, but it will make girls want to buy the game and the console.;)

My opinion is that its great that the GameCube was a failure as it gave Nintendo the kick up the arse that they needed. They were being stupid (Donkey konga advert anyone?) so didnt deserve any help. We now have the DS and Wii...hoorah!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone dissed the marketing for the gcn... but i think now Nintendo have turned it around.

DS has now had SUSTAINED advertising since its launch. Brain Training has become conversation of many non-gamers across the world. If they can keep this up with the release of Pokemon, then PSP wont stand a chance in hell.

Nice to hear that you have good DS advertisement, but here in Portugal is the same or even WORSE compared to the gamecube. The system never got a single AD here, not even on the lauch. Just nintendogs, but just 2 or 3 times a day, and they will probably advert pokémon.

come to think of it, i wonder what the wii/ps3 commercials will be like...

one thing nintendo must not do is actually say the word wii in the ads.I cant think of a slogan that isnt hilarious

examples:

get WII or get out

now your playing with power WII power

WII the third place

im just making a point.Just have it in writing dont say the bloody name

Kept to the usual ratio with America/Japan sales. Normally Japan sells about twice as many... well, thats a number picked out of thin air but its about right with the DS. In the US they sold 12mil. Only 4mil in Japan. If they'd have sold as many in Japan as they did in America they would be over the 30mil mark and truly in 2nd place.

Nintendo marketed this:

gamecube_tn.jpg

Bad mistake.

If they marketed the black one, it could save them one or two million, and if they designed it better it'd made them ten million extra, easily. Cube design was a confirmation about Nintendo being kiddy/gay/lesbian.

to be honest, an original, proper, final fantasy game. The amount of people who said they were getting a gamecube because a final fantasy was coming out then changed their minds because it wasn't really final fantasy.

Square seems to be going in the right direction with the Ds, ff 3 looks amazing, i hope this new found originality stays i mean, 2 great ps "franchises" have been ported to gamecube, resident evil and mgs. Final fantasy 7 was the only other remake they should have bothered with and that would have drawn a massive market.

in a word: advertising.

the last nintendo ad i can remember is the smash bros one... and god that was funny!

for australia, availability of games.

typical gamecube managment in australia:

(¯`·._.·->10 THINGS I HATE ABOUT NINTENDO<-·._.·´¯)

1. gamecube games are placed at back of store

2. some shops dont even sell them (but all other systems are ok)

3. discontinuation of games. (cant get fireemblem at all)

4. games not even getting released here (im now importing megaman x collection)

5. no advertising on tv whatsoever

6. nintendo.com.au never updates (1 webmaster i believe)

7. nintendo australia is a bunch of lying arses who told me they were gonna send me photos of me and some mates at the superchallenge

8. purple system... ORANGE SYSTEM?!?! what were you thinking????? people want black or silver to match their furniture or tvs or dvds.... etc etc

9. the secrecy! people hate surprises. just let the public know what the hell is going on! you will not appeal to the 'casual gamer' by not telling them anything! if anyone cares to look up the info, they probably are gonna get a wii anyway.

10. suck my cock nintendo. i like the games, but you make it VERY difficult for your fans.

Nintendo marketed this:

gamecube_tn.jpg

Bad mistake.

If they marketed the black one, it could save them one or two million, and if they designed it better it'd made them ten million extra, easily. Cube design was a confirmation about Nintendo being kiddy/gay/lesbian.

Nono, you're mistaken, the XBox would be the lesbians console ;)

I'd buy a lesbian console........ :p

Raven don't you like the orange gc??? It's my favourite color by far and unfortunately there aren't any here.... :(

Now nintendo made a lot of things but unfornatelly GC wasn't different from the other consoles so when people had to choose one, they would go for the most popular...

But I want more good ads in tv.

EDIT:

Wanna have fun?

http://gameads.gamepressure.com/

Here are a lot of consoles and games adverts made for tv. The old ones from sega were simply amazing but nintendo made ones also cool :)

Raven don't you like the orange gc??? It's my favourite color by far and unfortunately there aren't any here.... :(

ive got an orange control. and that is eyestabbingly wonderful... :indeed:

all nintendo needed was a bright green and a red version, and then they could really take the kiddy image to a new level by selling them to toddlers for use as building blocks.

as i said. for practicality, id go for black or silver (not platinum). i will definately get a black wii. not making the same mistake with a dodgy colour again. (i got a purple cube, and im NOT gonna get a white wii).