N-Europe

Battle Royale Remake

Happenstance

New Line Cinema has bought the remake rights to the controversial Japanese sci-fi film Battle Royale and set up the project with Neal Moritz and Roy Lee, reports Variety.

The original film, produced by Toie and released in 2000 amid concerns about its violence, is set in an apocalyptic future in which schools are overrun by uncontrolled violence; the government responds by organizing an annual Battle Royale, in which a school class is picked at random and students are pitted against each other on an abandoned island in a game of survival.

Toie also produced a sequel in 2003, Battle Royale II -- Requiem, in which a new class of teen students are forced to battle a rebel group let by a survivor of a previous Battle Royale.

Taken From Coming Soon

Now usually I dont think much of making remakes but I have to admit im interested in seeing how this one turns out as the original Battle Royale was brilliant.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bullshite.

You can't remake Battle Royale without Kinju directing it, it was his project that was pulled of amazingly (the original).

To even try and remake it is like.. well... its just utterly gay.

I just don't understand why they are remaking it. The film is 6 years old. If it was 20 years old, then maybe they could justify it.

This reminds me of The Ring, which came out a measly 4 years after Ringu. Anyone else feel the same as me?

QFT, when i read the thread title i was just like it's not that old a film to actually be remade. Or when they say remade do they mean remade to be put out in cinemas in the US and UK? I'm never really saw BR in cinema listings around here, so forgive the naivety.

Bullshite.

You can't remake Battle Royale without Kinju directing it, it was his project that was pulled of amazingly (the original).

To even try and remake it is like.. well... its just utterly gay.

This kind of attitude is pure chauvinism. I think it's brilliant we get another take at the film. It's not like it's going to taint the original.

I hope they do a good job of it. A lot of it will rely on the cast.

This kind of attitude is pure chauvinism. I think it's brilliant we get another take at the film. It's not like it's going to taint the original.

I hope they do a good job of it. A lot of it will rely on the cast.

You're talking rubbish. It's not even been ten years since the original was made, it is a complete injustice and disrespect to Kinju (who died in 2003) who spent years working on BR:Act1. This is another example of a desperate film motion and the continuing tradition of remakes from the U.S. They are too funking scared to try and make anything new.

And another take on the film? What kind of other take would you want? The original is perfect as its completely related to the controversial book.

I think all these remakes are racist. Nuff said really.... The Ring, Grudge and Battle Royale should all stay as Japanese films. Americans/Europeans dont want to see Asian films because they dont want to see Asians performing in them. If that's not racist, then I dont know what is.

BTW, anybody seen the south korean war film called brotherhood? Best film ever made!

Americans/Europeans dont want to see Asian films because they dont want to see Asians performing in them.
I figured it was to do with the fact that quite a lot of people can't be arsed with reading subtitles, or are turned off by the idea of them.

Anyway, I liked the original, I like the idea of a Hollywood remake. I don't really care about respect to directors or ruining someone's perfect vision, to be honest.

BTW, anybody seen the south korean war film called brotherhood? Best film ever made!

Is that the one about the corean soldiers at the frontier? I heard of it a long time ago but never got to see it, is it any good?

You're talking rubbish. It's not even been ten years since the original was made, it is a complete injustice and disrespect to Kinju (who died in 2003) who spent years working on BR:Act1.

What? How is that in anyway disrespectful? It's not like their shitting on his grave. If anything, the imitation is a sincere form of flattery.

And it hasn't been 10 years? Cry me a river. There are plenty of audiences, especially in the west, who have not witnessed, or even heard of Battle Royale. They're missing out, and it's a great way to get it to them.

And another take on the film? What kind of other take would you want? The original is perfect as its completely related to the controversial book.

I'd like to see how it would ploy it with a Western cast, and a more close to home atmosphere. And the original completely related to the book? Not quite. There are plenty of differences.

A remake of the original Battle Royale? I think I am going to be sick. The original is a cult classic, and now some cheap, brainless hollywood hack reckons he can make a cheap buck by bastardising a truly classic film. Again. You can smell the shit a mile off.

"Is that the one about the corean soldiers at the frontier? I heard of it a long time ago but never got to see it, is it any good?"

It's amazing!! It's the most expensive Korean film ever made and the war scenes are better than any game/film i've seen before! The fighting is like WW1 and WW2 rolled into one. The story is also brilliant and is about communities and families getting divided by communism... The story focuses on two brothers who are forced to fight against the communists and they soon get divided due to their changing ideologies.

The official trailer can be found here:

http://www.themoviebox.net/movies/2004/STUVWXYZ/TaeGukGi/trailer.html

I did my best not to cry during the film!b-) I bought the DVD at random and its my favourite film of all time now..

ooooh nooooooooooooooo!!!

first the ripp off J horror now theyre going after all the eastern extreme cinema!!!

i hope some really nasty celebs are in it like paris hilton gettin decapitated or lindsey lohan getting ripped apart some how mwahahahahaaaaaa

other than that it'll prob be pants-but if its succesfull they'll make a BR2 completly different to the Jap one- so they'll just do another BR but with new people.

meh hollywood is soo crap sometimes

not juicey! :(

A remake of the original Battle Royale? I think I am going to be sick. The original is a cult classic, and now some cheap, brainless hollywood hack reckons he can make a cheap buck by bastardising a truly classic film. Again. You can smell the shit a mile off.

That is dead on what I was thinking.

I think all these remakes are racist. Nuff said really.... The Ring, Grudge and Battle Royale should all stay as Japanese films. Americans/Europeans dont want to see Asian films because they dont want to see Asians performing in them. If that's not racist, then I dont know what is.

Well that's just stupid. It's not got anything to do with racism that people don't want to watch the original.

For one it's a cult classic which mean it has a cult following. Not a large amount of westerners have seen it, through the simple fact it's not been very well publicised.

I was talking to an American the other day and said I hope to God they don't remake it, unfortunately I didn't touch wood.

It'll be shit plain and simple, simply because very few American writers/directors have the balls to do anything extreme or different.