N-Europe

Wii Sensor bar

conzer16

Why couldnt the sensor bar (that you place in front of the television) be wireless.

sensor.jpg

If the controllers are wireless, and we will already have a A/V cable and power cable, why couldnt they have made the sensor bar wireless as well.

If you plug a HDD into the Wii (which i know hasnt been confirmed) you will have another wire.

I dont like wires......

Could the sensor bar not be powered off the electric field that surrounds a television?

Haven't got an answer for that one. Technical shizzle is not my thing. :p

To be honest though, it's not hurting anybody by having wires. You won't be using it much as it'll be stationary. The console contains a wire to and from the plug socket, but we don't get people asking for wireless home consoles (not handhelds :p). Purely because it doesn't really matter.

I doubt it could be wireless. First, there's no reason, second it would need batteries the TV doesn't create an electromagnetic field just a little static electricity and wireless technologies are usually more limited in the amount of info they can send.

I doubt it could be wireless. First, there's no reason, second it would need batteries the TV doesn't create an electromagnetic field just a little static electricity and wireless technologies are usually more limited in the amount of info they can send.

crt screens do produce electromagnetic fields, but I don't think it would be capable of supplying electricity to another device. however, perhaps that could be the basis of wireless electricity.. lol

that would be crazy. And I imagine fairly dangerous...

to be honest its less fiddly with a wire.

wire = place it, leave it until the tv/console is replaced. easy, at most it will need to be moved twice in a decade.

wireless = place it, leave it till batteries run out.

a single wire in this case improves the system (imo).

wire = place it, leave it until the tv/console is replaced. easy, at most it will need to be moved twice in a decade.

This man speaks the truth. right on brother.

It would have been nice to be wireless, but at the end of the day- it sits on the TV, the AV cable has to be plugged into that TV and power has to come from somewhere- typically from the locale of the TV.

Next generation when AV goes wireless then maybe they will consider it.. I'd like to have Wii on my coffee table but with all 3 of the cables it just doesn't make sense. I'll just have to get off my ass.

I'd like to have a system that has wireless controllers, AV and motion sensing so I could just have the Wii on my coffee table with 1 cable- it would look so phat.

So true.

Could the sensor bar not be powered off the electric field that surrounds a television?

An electric field like that would suck up the power of your street, destroy any electric equipment within a few feet of your sensor and probably cause cancer :woops:

Why couldn't they "remove" the need for a sensor bar? Why can't the controller just send the information wirelessly to the Wii, with no need for a bar? >=(

I believe that in certain games there is no need to use the sensor bar. In other games the sensor bar is needed when the game needs to calculate depth, detecting the angle in which the wii-mote is held etc

Why couldn't they "remove" the need for a sensor bar? Why can't the controller just send the information wirelessly to the Wii, with no need for a bar? >=(

The bar is so small. They could have just incorporated it into a console the size of a dvd player... but i prefer what they have done

What and stick that on top of your TV? Some people.... seriously it's not practical!

from what i understand is that if it really is true 3d movement, the position of the sensor ought not to matter as long as you are in unobstructed range

Nintendo seems to always be one step ahead of Microsoft and Sony when it comes to wireless. Nintendo had 1st party wireless controllers for the GameCube, and all the Wii-controllers are wireless (well of course they would be). But there are still wired Xbox 360 controllers - with the core package - and wired PS3 controllers.

Do you think we have fucking miracle alien technology from space or something?

The sensor bar is how it is because it has to be that way clearly. I'm sure if there was a reasonable alternative to doing it this way they likely would've but with current technology it's probably all they can do.