Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Wii Hardware Discussion

Ashley

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was reading another gaming forum and the folks on it were speculating whether or not the wii-mote would be able to charge itself using the kinetic energy generated form waving it all over the place.

Wouldnt that be a mighty slap in the face for sony? I cant really see it doing that now, but wow if it could!!

Come on Nintendo tell us more info about the controller and price and release date....!!!!

I was reading another gaming forum and the folks on it were speculating whether or not the wii-mote would be able to charge itself using the kinetic energy generated form waving it all over the place.

Wouldnt that be a mighty slap in the face for sony? I cant really see it doing that now, but wow if it could!!

Come on Nintendo tell us more info about the controller and price and release date....!!!!

I already brought that up (like Swatch watches could do) but most people haven been really mean and said it is not possible ...:D

I still believe it is possible though - at least charge them to a extent where the movement is enough to cover up for the energy used in transmitting data or the LED !

I know not a hardware comment but seeing as I can't make a thread has anyone heard of anything about PES on both DS and Wii.. We've seen one or two screenies of the DS version ages ago but is there any vids at E3? And there's a Wii version too but is that at E3?

I was a little bit stunned when the guy on gamespot revealed the small sensor that needs to be attached to the TV. I searched for an image of the demo stand and saw the plastic sensor with coord going to the system.

It's a good system in the way that it will allow for new projection media to be used like Flat screen or Projectors. However it is still a little bit akward to have something like that attached to the screen. Feels somewhat blatant and ruins the magic. I'm also worried that it will now work all that well... Hopefully it will but one never knows.

So any reactions or thoughts?

I was a little bit stunned when the guy on gamespot revealed the small sensor that needs to be attached to the TV. I searched for an image of the demo stand and saw the plastic sensor with coord going to the system.

It's a good system in the way that it will allow for new projection media to be used like Flat screen or Projectors. However it is still a little bit akward to have something like that attached to the screen. Feels somewhat blatant and ruins the magic. I'm also worried that it will now work all that well... Hopefully it will but one never knows.

Do you mean 'not' .If it is I say don't worry about it to much.The sensor is really small anyway and do you mean the sensor is attached to the screen? If you do it's not attached to the screen but if i'm wrong could say what you meant?

I presumed the "home" button was for going to the Wii's home. Where you can chose whether to play the game, look at memory card, see virtual console etc.

Also, im guessing that it will act as "pause" while playing a game.

Yeah I misspelled for some odd reason. Happens when I'm not really thinking of what I type but rather imagening that I type things.

You can see the sensor bar in an image form this article. ttp://revolution.ign.com/articles/707/707362p1.html This sensor is what makes the wiimote work better than the PS3 controller. But it's also has a flaw like he explains at the gamespot live coverage on thursday at 10 am when he explained it didn't respond and what the flaw was.

Makes me worry about the functionality. Specially as I have a projector...

I saw the video your talking about and by the sounds of it, the controler had to be aimed at the sensor. That Geoff guy said he was 6 ft 3 and had to hold the controler at his waist for it to reconise any movment at all..which is a little worrying.

You can kind of see in the picture how its set up.

IMG_7949.jpg

This is the video, the first 10 minutes they talk about it:http://uk.gamespot.com/e3/e3live.html Its the seond video down called 'Spectacular Sci-Fi'

That Geoff guy said he was 6 ft 3 and had to hold the controler at his waist for it to reconise any movment at all..which is a little worrying.

What about the tennis game they played on stage, they were not holding it at the hips and were more than 6' from the sensors. It was proberly just down to interferance, with so many thing in operation so close.

Do you really think Nintendo would release something that doesn't work with tall people? I really love the internet, take GAF for instance in the morning they were all OMG MEGATON!! NITENDO! now they're making up stupid conclusions about the controller saying it's just like the PS3 one and are all oh snap Nintendoomed.

Oh sweet about the DS!!

Got me thinking bout the VoIP thing too - we'll probly be able to use the DS as the telephone as it has a speaker and mic and can connect wirelessly with the Wii!

Pity about the batteries tho - i think Nintendo should try and make the Wii-mote rechargeable.

From the Kotaku.com article

When pressed, Miyamoto said that the price and date will likely be announced before the Tokyo Game Show, since while Nintendo doesn't historically show up at TGS, many third-party Wii game producers do.

Looks like we'll see a price before September 22nd then!

Thats good news!!

I started with WOW! (maybe because I REEALLY wanted it to be WOW!) but now think OH NO!

There just seems to be too many negatives coming out about the controller:

- loosing connectivitity

- curser shooting off in all directions on its own

- failure to repond to intermittently

- far too sensitive, a pain to keep your hand steady.

- need to pause in the center so it can recalibrate.

- contrary to opinion here according to IGN Sony's simple tilt controll works really well and the game using it was REAL easy to control.

etc etc

To me these seem technical issues related to the implementation of the freehold controller. Ive also actually used the GYTRONIC?? mouse at my nepthews, it suffers badly from this sensitivity issue and is basically useless. Not I know the freehand controller is different but it is still based on the same technology.

The final straw to loosing the WOW! comes from IGN's preview of RED STEEL. Now Ubisoft have been working on this game since the announcement of the controller, along with help from Nintendo. But the game still does not control, infact according to IGN you dont even aim where you want to shoot, and the game is worse than when they last demoed it. Even dual analog control is better and easier. WTF why would they even do this if there was'nt a technical reason for dooing so? It was also unplayable. There review fits in with other reviewers. The biggest thing for the Rev to succeed in the USA is for it to be the FPS of choice, seems like it has failed.

And what does the most promising Wii game Smash Bros. propose? It WONT be using the freehand controller.

The second most promising game in my opinion is Sonic, and this would have worked just as well with a simple tilt controll method like on the PS3. Dito Monkeyball.

The online is also stuffed (more friends codes FFS)

This is just a preview of things to come, these sensitivity issues were bound to happen and will probably be solved. The PS3 warhawk demo was much less ambitious it was just a little bit of tilting, the sames you are seeing with issues are of a much larger scale. It isn't nintendo's fault if Sony copied them either. You people annoy me with your lack of abstraction. There's till half an year to go!

EDIT: You were never supposed to shoot where you aim that way you couldn't play with the controller in your lap.

Dude the online will be free. I really dont get the obsession with online gaming, I prefer to see my opponents reactions. As for the controller niggles, they have months to sort them out. You didnt hear any comtrol problems with Zelda or Mario did you? Nintendo are used to it cuz they made it. 3rd parties will have a learning curve.

I started with WOW! (maybe because I REEALLY wanted it to be WOW!) but now think OH NO!

Wanna know what makes me go from WOW to OH NO! ? People, the kind of people that started the day by praising everything nintendo and by the end of the same day, based on the opinions of others, completly change their own. You incoherent little bastards.

I spit in the face of people who don't want to be cool!

Place the sensor bar on top of the TV or stand back further to make it work better

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!